Hacking WiiWare / Virtual Console, Best Method?

H8ff0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all. It's been awhile since I originally modded my Wii. I just re-did it using the 4.2 Ultimate Softmod Guide here. I've got BootMii as IOS and Boot2, and I've got Priiloader as well. I also installed CIOSCORP, got Configurable USB Loader for FAT with the GAF recommended configuration files, backed up my WBFS drive to the PC, formatted to FAT, and loaded the games back to it. Now, as for WiiWare / Virtual Console, what would be the best method currently? I did a lot of reading, I see Triforce and the modified version of it are ways. I'm sure there are others. However I read a chart saying there were some games that didn't work with Triforce, although I think that was under NAND emulation. Very tired right now to keep going on about it.

What I'm really looking for is:
The best method to play WiiWare / Virtual Console
I'm willing to put in as much time as needed, so if one way works better than another but takes longer so be it
I have a 640GB USB HDD and a 16GB SDHC

P.S. I noticed a weird error, when I turn on the Wii, it goes to BootMii. When in BootMii, I can choose System Menu (which goes to Priiloader), but if I choose Homebrew Channel, I get a strange pixelated screen, and I think the Wii is frozen. Homebrew Channel loads fine from System Menu, however. Any solution?

kallstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to think of a way to give you a quick reply though im not sure its possible. So im gonna start with VC. For virtual console stuff its best to play anything that can be emulated on the emulators (minus n64 of course). WiiWare is a bit more tricky. For those games that triiforce CAN play it is BY FAR the best option. Especially when setup to run from your usb hdd. There are 3 ways (that i know of and care about) to launch these wiiware games from an emulated nand on a usb hdd. First is triiforce r74, the triiforce MRC mod (pictures) and my all new favorite triiforce forwarder iso's. Which i just happened to finish up an icon pack for today to better blend in with wii games inside configurable usb loader.

check out this post to see my icons
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184568&st=345

So in a perfect scenario where all the wiiware games you wish to play work in triiforce, in my opinion the forwarder channels are the most elegant way of launching them. But some games have problems. This by the way is where i should tell you to use showmiiwads to install games to your usb nand, and the latest version of nicksasa's Simple FS Dumper 0.42. Some problems range from black screens, certain boot option settings, LOOONG load times (30seconds or more.. way more it feels like) or needing a gamesave to already be present on the emulated nand. Those games with the more severe problems, you're better off just installing to your wii's nand. So in a way the best method (as far as usability) is more of a hybrid.

As for the nintendo SD card way of loading wiiware from system menu's that support it.. A lot of people dont like that method because it doesnt actually "load" from your sd card. What it does is every time you want to play your game, it copies itself to your wii's nand and then starts... and then deletes itself once done (or something very similar). Yes it works but i would rate that at the very bottom of the methods to play wiiware. You can perhaps use that for the those games that dont like triiforce.

Hope thats helpful and coherent enough. Here's the compatibility wiki.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...n_compatibility

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just wait for sneek2. triiforce is the best (any only thing) there is now to play ww/vc without installing it on a wii. but sneek2 is definitely raising the bar

H8ff0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kallstar said:
I'm trying to think of a way to give you a quick reply though im not sure its possible. So im gonna start with VC. For virtual console stuff its best to play anything that can be emulated on the emulators (minus n64 of course). WiiWare is a bit more tricky. For those games that triiforce CAN play it is BY FAR the best option. Especially when setup to run from your usb hdd. There are 3 ways (that i know of and care about) to launch these wiiware games from an emulated nand on a usb hdd. First is triiforce r74, the triiforce MRC mod (pictures) and my all new favorite triiforce forwarder iso's. Which i just happened to finish up an icon pack for today to better blend in with wii games inside configurable usb loader.

check out this post to see my icons
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=184568&st=345

So in a perfect scenario where all the wiiware games you wish to play work in triiforce, in my opinion the forwarder channels are the most elegant way of launching them. But some games have problems. This by the way is where i should tell you to use showmiiwads to install games to your usb nand, and the latest version of nicksasa's Simple FS Dumper 0.42. Some problems range from black screens, certain boot option settings, LOOONG load times (30seconds or more.. way more it feels like) or needing a gamesave to already be present on the emulated nand. Those games with the more severe problems, you're better off just installing to your wii's nand. So in a way the best method (as far as usability) is more of a hybrid.

As for the nintendo SD card way of loading wiiware from system menu's that support it.. A lot of people dont like that method because it doesnt actually "load" from your sd card. What it does is every time you want to play your game, it copies itself to your wii's nand and then starts... and then deletes itself once done (or something very similar). Yes it works but i would rate that at the very bottom of the methods to play wiiware. You can perhaps use that for the those games that dont like triiforce.

Hope thats helpful and coherent enough. Here's the compatibility wiki.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?tit...n_compatibility

I appreciate the thoroughness. So essentially:
Triforce via NAND Emulation on USB HDD for all WiiWare except for the (currently 26) games that have issues. Those Can be installed to the Wii system memory and moved to the SD card after.
For Virtual Console, I didn't quite understand that. On the emulators? As in using an emulator and ROM files? Or Emulator with WAD files? Or something esle? And why this over the other methods?

And do you have a guide for the use of your WiiWare forwarder ISOs? Also, do you have a forwarder for each available WiiWare game, or any some?
Thanks buddy.

kallstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i just meant emulators and roms for VC stuff but thats just a preference of mine... i dont care if theres a virtual console game of something that can take up much less space and emulated. you just install the forwarder iso's the same way you'd put a game on your hdd. Those channels i believe only launch wiiware on your usb hdds emulated nand. I have a complete NTSC-U wiiware Forwarders set here.

If you're using configurable usb loader like me then you can use the wbfs_file and drag and drop the iso's onto the wbfs_file.exe and put the resulting files in the wbfs folder on your usb hdd.

H8ff0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
or just wait for sneek2. triiforce is the best (any only thing) there is now to play ww/vc without installing it on a wii. but sneek2 is definitely raising the bar

OK I gotta ask, what the hell is Sneek2? I searched Google and it doesn't return much of anything, and I searched the forums here, and all it returns or like 3 or 4 posts by you.
If it is worth waiting for, them I'm all for it. I'm in no rush.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well what you are asking about in general is done by nand emulation. triiforce uses IOS249 to direct NAND access to the SD card/USB device. So you have the files that are normally on the nand and the game you are playing thinks that it is using the real nand, but it is being lied to.

sneek2 is another form of nand emulation. it is basically the same idea, redirect nand access to the sd card but it does not use IOS249 to do it. currently it is not released, so triiforce is the only option.

H8ff0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giantpune said:
well what you are asking about in general is done by nand emulation. triiforce uses IOS249 to direct NAND access to the SD card/USB device. So you have the files that are normally on the nand and the game you are playing thinks that it is using the real nand, but it is being lied to.

sneek2 is another form of nand emulation. it is basically the same idea, redirect nand access to the sd card but it does not use IOS249 to do it. currently it is not released, so triiforce is the only option.

Do you know what advantages Sneek2 will provide?
Any word on when it will be available?

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeadlyFoez said:
I doubt it will be available. The first version was illegal by gbatemp understanding of the word illegal. But because of that, I highly doubt it will ever be "legal".

It was only illegal because crediar forgot to include some of the source code

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best way is to buy a 8 or 16 GB SDHC card and do the install wad, move to SD thing.

Triiforce is great for certain things, certainly any experimental wads for example, but for Wiiware/VC why screw around with what works perfectly already?

Just my opinion anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person