Gaming WiiU transfer experience

crono141

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently in the process of doing the transfer as I type this. I have a fully modded wii with HBC, Wiiflow, DIOS MIOS, and a few forwarder channels. In preparation for the transfer I did a NAND backup this morning, and then used MODMii to download IOS62 and the new Wii Shop Channel.

I began on the WiiU (you have to). You need to boot up Wii mode and then run the already included wii transfer utility. I say included, but what it is is a stub that points you to the Wii Shop channel to download the tool. I think its the exact same download as the one for the wii, it just knows its on a WiiU so it gives you those menus. It asks you for an SD card, verifies it, downloads something to it (I didn't think to check what, oops). You then take that SD card out and put it in your Wii console.

Once you've got the SD card, you turn your Wii on and start up the Wii transfer on it. It verifies the SD card (with the transfer tool on it) and connects to the internet. It is at this time that both consoles need to be connected to the internet. It verifies a transfer is possible and then begins copying the contents of your NAND to the SD card. Once its done, you put that same SD card back into the WiiU and it begins copying stuff back over. I'm about 70% finished at this point (takes longer on the WiiU portion than on the Wii portion).

While this is going on, I went back to check on the state of the Wii. Bootmii was still in boot2. Priiloader was still working, and it attempted to boot up Wiiflow instead of the system menu. I had issues from this point. Wiiflow found no partitions or config files. I quit to homebrew channel and it didn't show anything. After futsing around with it, I decided to boot into bootmii and restore my NAND. This went on without a hitch, and I rebooted. Same trouble as before. It was at this point I realized there was something awry with the SD card (or more specifically, the SD card adapter I was using with my micro SD card). I switched out to a different adapter, cold booted everything, and VIOLA, the wii operated exactly as I had left it when I backed up this morning. Bam.

I'll update this with the state of Wii mode on the WiiU once the transfer is finished. Just wanted to give a heads up to folks who might be worried about losing their Wii softmods.

EDIT: Transfer is finished, and as expected no HBC got moved to the WiiU. Wiiconnect24 does not work, so letterbomb is not possible either. But it seems there's no danger in doing the transfer tool with a modded Wii.

Reactions: actar

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you purchased a game but don't have it downloaded can you download it for free from the wiiu eshop?
Example: i bought the wiiware Excitebike but dont have it installed, do I get it free on the eshop or do I have to download on my wii and transfer?

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
If you purchased a game but don't have it downloaded can you download it for free from the wiiu eshop?
Example: i bought the wiiware Excitebike but dont have it installed, do I get it free on the eshop or do I have to download on my wii and transfer?

Your Download History will be transfered and you can redownload them via the Wii Shop and NOT the eShop as far i know.

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
T

There are no WiiWare or Virtual Console games on the Wii U eShop. To play those games, you have to start up Wii mode, where you can access the old Wii Shop Channel. I don't think you can redownload games you've already bought, but you can transfer them from a Wii to your Wii U and keep your save data.

They play in Wii mode though, so this means that you can't use a Pro Controller or a GamePad with it. You'll need a Classic Controller for some virtual console games, since you can't use GameCube controllers on the Wii U.

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Download History will be transfered and you can redownload them via the Wii Shop and NOT the eShop as far i know.
Shoot so i have to do this transfer stuff. What do I need to install on my wii to do this? Im not great with installing IOS's and stuff. Do I have to install IOS62 and the new store channel to do this?

Ive also never restored from a NAND backup so after this, since Ill most likely get errors like the first poster, how would I restore a backup? I know how to boot into bootmii and how to backup already

3bbb7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
T

There are no WiiWare or Virtual Console games on the Wii U eShop. To play those games, you have to start up Wii mode, where you can access the old Wii Shop Channel. I don't think you can redownload games you've already bought, but you can transfer them from a Wii to your Wii U and keep your save data.

They play in Wii mode though, so this means that you can't use a Pro Controller or a GamePad with it. You'll need a Classic Controller for some virtual console games, since you can't use GameCube controllers on the Wii U.
I dont mind about saves, but shouldnt it save your download history by Nintendo account linked in the wii shop? This is the same process from DSi to 3ds and it was not well put together.

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, guess I'll be transferring later tonight. Know for sure I have Ocarina of Time and Paper Mario, and I'm pretty sure I also got Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart. More games for my WiiU could never hurt

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently in the process of doing the transfer as I type this. I have a fully modded wii with HBC, Wiiflow, DIOS MIOS, and a few forwarder channels. In preparation for the transfer I did a NAND backup this morning, and then used MODMii to download IOS62 and the new Wii Shop Channel.

I began on the WiiU (you have to). You need to boot up Wii mode and then run the already included wii transfer utility. I say included, but what it is is a stub that points you to the Wii Shop channel to download the tool. I think its the exact same download as the one for the wii, it just knows its on a WiiU so it gives you those menus. It asks you for an SD card, verifies it, downloads something to it (I didn't think to check what, oops). You then take that SD card out and put it in your Wii console.

Once you've got the SD card, you turn your Wii on and start up the Wii transfer on it. It verifies the SD card (with the transfer tool on it) and connects to the internet. It is at this time that both consoles need to be connected to the internet. It verifies a transfer is possible and then begins copying the contents of your NAND to the SD card. Once its done, you put that same SD card back into the WiiU and it begins copying stuff back over. I'm about 70% finished at this point (takes longer on the WiiU portion than on the Wii portion).

While this is going on, I went back to check on the state of the Wii. Bootmii was still in boot2. Priiloader was still working, and it attempted to boot up Wiiflow instead of the system menu. I had issues from this point. Wiiflow found no partitions or config files. I quit to homebrew channel and it didn't show anything. After futsing around with it, I decided to boot into bootmii and restore my NAND. This went on without a hitch, and I rebooted. Same trouble as before. It was at this point I realized there was something awry with the SD card (or more specifically, the SD card adapter I was using with my micro SD card). I switched out to a different adapter, cold booted everything, and VIOLA, the wii operated exactly as I had left it when I backed up this morning. Bam.

I'll update this with the state of Wii mode on the WiiU once the transfer is finished. Just wanted to give a heads up to folks who might be worried about losing their Wii softmods.

EDIT: Transfer is finished, and as expected no HBC got moved to the WiiU. Wiiconnect24 does not work, so letterbomb is not possible either. But it seems there's no danger in doing the transfer tool with a modded Wii.

Does HBC still work after the transfer or did you have to reinstall it?

Fuffelpups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Nintendo said:
The following is NOT transferred during the system transfer process between a Wii and a Wii U:
Software and save data for which transfer is not permitted
Can someone confirm, if or if not the save files from games like Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Kart Wii and so on will get copied to the Wii U or not?

Reactions: HorreC

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Can someone confirm, if or if not the save files from games like Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Kart Wii and so on will get copied to the Wii U or not?
Depends on the save file. The easiest way to tell is: if it can be copied to an SD card, it can be copied to the WiiU. If it can't (like Brawl for example) it can't be transferred to the WiiU.

Kadin

Ain't no rest for the wicked...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give you all a quick rundown of what I just did, and posted here, with regards to the transfer. Like the OP, I had HBC, USB Loader GX and a wealth of other mods installed with Priiloader, bootmii as boot2, etc.

I did a transfer without modifying anything. Basically all my store VC purchases were transferred over with no issues. I made sure to copy as many as I could to the internal Wii memory as that's where the transfer tool pulls them from. The rest, I can just download again on the Wii Shop on the Wii U. Because I copied them from my SD Card to the internal memory, they're still there obviously after the transfer took place. The only hitch at this point is the saves are no longer there but now on the Wii U. I'm in the process of copying these back over just to see if it works.

I did have to restore a NAND to essentially link the authorization for my VC games to work again on my originating Wii. After I restored the NAND, they all worked fine. I did go into the Wii Shop and while it worked, it made my VC games on the Wii no longer play. So basically DO NOT do this unless you want to restore again.

If I left anything out or it's unclear, ask and I'll gladly help if I can. Overall process was easy. Took a while, but now I have my games on both machines and the saves on at least one machine (Wii U) for now. More to come...

[EDIT] Ok sure enough, I was able to copy over a save from Paper Mario from my Wii U internal memory back to the Wii. So *most* saves should be fine restoring. Not sure why'd you want saves on both but it's possible. Unless maybe for some of the more restrictive save games like Smash or whatever...

dgwillia

The Bacon Lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worked perfectly for me, got my games :D. Though like an idiot I accidentally used the same card I used on my Wii, damn near Bannerbombed my WiiU and corrupted it XD, nearly gave me a heart attack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1