Homebrew wiisx help please

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
omg, what am i doing wrong!?

on the root of my usb hard drive i have a "wiisx" folder: and inside that the isos folder where i have my isos. in the bios folder i have the spch1001 file (do i need this file?) and a save folder

also in the root i have an "apps" folder with a .dol in it and 2 other files (do i need this folder?)

when i try and use wiisx i get the "error opening directory" message when i click load from usb

when i go into settings and select bios=usb i get "bios not found on usb"

what the hell is going on!?

*does the usb hdd have to be fat32? cause thats not mentioned anywhere!

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok...iv been trying with NTFS so it may all be ok when i try fat32 but...

1) can i partition without loosing data?

2) do i need an apps folder in usb root or just a wiisx folder?

3) do i need a bios file in the bios folder?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) Windows should let you convert a partition without loosing the content.
You can also shorten the size of the current partition and create a new FAT32 partition without loosing data on the NTFS.

2) It all depends if you are using SD or USB.
So, yes, you need apps/wiisx/boot.dol
if you are booting the homebrew from the USB, else just place it on SD.

3) If you don't have a bios file (SCPH1000.bin (jp) SCPH1001.bin (USA) or SCPH1002.bin(Eur)) then you can use the emulated BIOS (HLE) but it's not working with a lot of games.
the best choice is to use SCPH1001.bin bios file.

Follow this installation guide using the "Mod 02" (it's the best and fastest version)
(install cIOS202 [base38+60] from Hermes cIOS installer v4, v5 should work too but I didn't try it.)
And take a look at the compatibility list too:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compati...st_%28beta_2%29

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks. will try it out

whats the difference with the bios files countries? are they for different psx game regions or the region of my wii? can i just keep all bios files together in the bios folder?

and if i use mod2 version, which usb socket must i use on the wii?

just tryed to partition my hard drive, i dont have any unallocated space to use
frown.gif
i know i could make some but i read warnings everywhere about backing up data...i have almost 1tb of data i havent backed up and dont want to loose it!

sorry for more questions!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The interest of these 3 BIOS file is that they are the first released BIOS and are region free
wink.gif

People with this BIOS in their real playstation hardware can play out of region/import/burned games by simply swapping the disc on boot. no modchip needed.

You can use SCPH1001.bin (the USA one) to have BIOS and memory card/CDA player menu in English.
Some PAL games may require SCPH1002.bin (it was the case with WiiSX beta1 and the game "Loaded", but was fixed in beta2.1, any bios should work fine with all games now)

WiiSX is loading only "SCPH1001.bin" file. If you want to use another one, rename it to match this filename.
You can keep all your bios files in the BIOS/ folder for convenience, they will just not be used.

Use USB port0 (the bottom one, near the edge of the wii).

If you don't have place on your external HDD, use an SD card or even SMB (store .iso on your computer and share that folder).
You don't have any USB stick? even a microSD USB reader, as long as it's FAT32 it's fine, no need to be a real hard drive.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im getting a 16gb usb stick. i was hoping to have them on my 1tb external drive with my other files but its NTFS and i dont wanna risk loosing data!

will report back when i try the stick

thanks for all your help
smile.gif

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, got fat32 stick and got it working...

a few more things...

i had 2 versions of wiisx in the homebrew menu. version 2.0 and 2.1. v2.1 didnt work but 2.0 did. could this be because i have them both on at the same time? v2.1 gave me the same directory error when trying to locate iso's on usb but v2.0 found them no problem

i have .ccd and .sub files with my disc images, do these need to be on the usb too?

whats is the difference between the 2 emulation modes? is one more likley to work or is it 50/50 chance and try both?

so far i have track and field working but tony hawks 3 and tekken 3 wouldnt load at all. i notice on this list http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/WiiSX_compati...y_list_(beta_1) tekken 3 should work with both modes, what could i be doing wrong?

matguitarist

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
be sure to have usb2 mod version wiisixtyfour IOS58 MOD ( newer ) or my old CIOS 202 mod

beta 2.1 have bug fix, if i remember CIOS 202 have better USB2 HDD compatibility, i didn't try newer IOS58 version, try both and you will see

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i tryed the mod2 one. isnt that v2.1?

correction...the one you linked to is working great
smile.gif
thanks matguitarist

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
1) i had 2 versions of wiisx in the homebrew menu. version 2.0 and 2.1. v2.1 didnt work but 2.0 did. could this be because i have them both on at the same time? v2.1 gave me the same directory error when trying to locate iso's on usb but v2.0 found them no problem

It shouldn't cause problem to have more than 1 different version sharing the same folders. (maybe just for the config files, but 2.0 and 2.1 share the same file)

2) i have .ccd and .sub files with my disc images, do these need to be on the usb too?
.ccd (clone CD fille) is not needed. It's like a .pls, .cue, .m3u, it's an information file used to determine how to burn the iso to CD.
.sub is the subchannel data (used as piracy protection on some games). WiiSX was announced compatible with .sub channels files but I never get it to work. I don't know if it's even loaded fine. It should be loaded automatically if they both share the same name : gamename.iso and gamename.sub
It will certainly be loaded fine in the next update, so keep them they can be useful.

3) whats is the difference between the 2 emulation modes? is one more likley to work or is it 50/50 chance and try both?
"Interpreter" is the "normal" emulator's behavior, it's interpreting each native console's command one by one to recreate the console function.
"Dynarec" is Dynamic Recomplier, it's converting the native console (PSX) "block of command" to 1 command in the new console (Wii).
ex : 10 years ago, you needed a lot of function to achieve the same thing now done quicker with current gen console/CPU. You can win cycles and make the emulation run faster. The problem is that the developers need to map the block of command to newer function, so it can be a long process to develop, but has his advantage.
note that it's not working for all games, so Interpreter is always a choice.

mrpinkeye

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for your detailed reply, it really helps
smile.gif

ok, im pretty sure im getting the same results with the games on the check list (shame about final fantasy 7) so think its up and running fine.

i do find when testing the 2 modes im having to go into settings everytime to manually change it. i thought clicking "save to=usb" at the bottom of settings would keep the chosen mode? it would save time when testing lots of games...

same thing with the bios location (in fact, i keep forgetting to set this as usb and end up thinking my roms arent working when they actually do!)

also, do i want to select "boot through bios" ?

Brian87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having same issues as OP but cant get it figured out

First I have hbc on SD along with SNES,NES,wii64,wiisx. Wiisx games are too big to fit on SD, so i figured i would try to put them on my USB HDD.

I cleared everything from my USB HDD, formatted to FAT32 using Smartdisk FAT32 tool.
I then downloaded the link provided in this thread with "improved USB support".
This is whats currently on my HDD:

Device:/apps/wiiSX/" boot.dol, icon.png and meta.xml here
Device:/wiisx/bios/" SCPH1001.bin (USA)
Device:/wiisx/isos/" Games here
Device:/wiisx/saves/"

I plug in to the wii into port 0 and I still get the error opening directory message when trying to load isos from USB. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Meeptroid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK. I am looking for some help with WiiSX, I have everything hooked up as it should be, and, I am trying to boot up the .bin file of SimCity 2000, and, it shows the bios screen, but, after that, I have sound, but no video, and my gamecube controller doesn't work anymore. I use version 2.1. I also use an 8 GB SDHC SD Card for everything, and it made me create the WiiSX folders myself.

Last edited by Meeptroid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o