PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tried installing the updated wiistation onto my Plug In Megathread Pack SD, but now wiiflow wont boot, it gets into the spalsh screen and then returns to System Menu.

I have a backup SD and it allows loading Wiiflow, I copied all the contents of the SD minus the videos folder and the ROMs folder (too big and unrelated to the loader) and removed all the other folders from the faulty SD, copies all the folders from the working SD, and tried booting wiiflow with the "retrofitted" faulty SD, but Wiiflow wont boot.

I am now backing up the Videos and ROMs as well so I "fix" the card or reformat it hoping for the Wii to recognize its Wiiflow file system dol and booter, because Videos do load through WiiMC, so I know the SD is working it is only Wiiflow that is no longer loading.

I run on linux, but I did update the Wiistation on a Windows machine and I think I changed USB ports a couple times, and I might have changed the Drive Letter assigned by windows to the SD.. but I do not know really, maybe the USB port from which I accessed the SD does not leave a fixed Drive Letter?

Running Linux I cannot see the letters Windows assigns, so it might have nothing to do with my error mode.

Please send help lol
Backing up 200GB of videos will take 3 hours, and then I must fix and or reformat the micro SD and copy all back onto it (249GB) for 6 hours only to see whether it will boot Wiiflow with a copy of the working SD filesystem backup... I am so confused, I already rolled back the changes to the faulty SD and it still wont boot...
........what?

Reactions: seam1

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Unrelated SD "single file corruption" that set WiiFlow to crash at boot, while the rest of the SD data was being red properly.
Data corruption most likely due to an error by unplugging the SD card from the PC while it was writing onto it (a good minute or two after copying the files onto it, according to GUI).

Original Post:
I fixed the SD card with Linux Disks Utility.
Fsck Error, a bit was wrongly labeled with a second FAT, the first FAT in the Root sector was ok and intact so it was copied to the wrong sector and the mislabeled bit was erased. The error was reported to have been a bad unmounting, corrupting said bit. I am trying it now.

It did not work. I am reformatting the SD card and restoring the backup previous to my failed Wiistation update. My working backup is a clean install of the Plug-In Megapack by Running Snakes, with Wiistation 2.4, so i will stay like that until there is an "official" update to the megapack, KEK

I am utterly ignorant about what I am doing.

EDIT: Reformated my new large microSD, no errors on the card, copied the 64 GB of data from the backup (Working WiiFlow )microSD card to the new 265GB, along with some media.

The media, radio stations, the series and TV, everythings works, WiiMC, WiiRadio all detect the new, larger microSD inside the Wii..

BUT WIIFLOW IS STUCK IN A LOOP! IT BOOTS THE SPLASH SCREEN AND REVERTS TO THE WII MENU. EVER SINGLE TIME.

Is there some kind of log with discrepancies that I can delete to enter WiiFlow?
All files are there! that is the odd thing, maybe one identifies the larger card as smaller and wii is not refreshing the new SDCard just like it doesn't refresh boxcovers.

I just do not know which cache file to delete to be able to boot INTO WiiFlow past the SpalshScreen.

Last edited by popckorn,

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Fsck Error, a bit was wrongly labeled with a second FAT, the first FAT in the Root sector was ok and intact so it was copied to the wrong sector and the mislabeled bit was erased. The error was reported to have been a bad unmounting, corrupting said bit. I am trying it now.

It did not work. I am reformatting the SD card and restoring the backup previous to my failed Wiistation update. My working backup is a clean install of the Plug-In Megapack by Running Snakes, with Wiistation 2.4, so i will stay like that until there is an "official" update to the megapack, KEK

EDIT: Reformated my new large microSD, no errors on the card, copied the 64 GB of data from the backup (Working WiiFlow )microSD card to the new 265GB, along with some media.

The media, radio stations, the series and TV, everythings works, WiiMC, WiiRadio all detect the new, larger microSD inside the Wii..

BUT WIIFLOW IS STUCK IN A LOOP! IT BOOTS THE SPLASH SCREEN AND REVERTS TO THE WII MENU. EVER SINGLE TIME.

Is there some kind of log with discrepancies that I can delete to enter WiiFlow?
All files are there! that is the odd thing, maybe one identifies the larger card as smaller and wii is not refreshing the new SDCard just like it doesn't refresh boxcovers.

I just do not know which cache file to delete to be able to boot INTO WiiFlow past the SpalshScreen.
try using a USB 3.0 thumbdrive

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
try using a USB 3.0 thumbdrive
I run a USB HDD on a USB port and the microSD using an SD adapter, but to format and fill up the microSD I use an USB adapter in Linux, so I do not know whether the SD card is being mislabled as USB disk at some level that conflicts with the name given to the microSD when formated in a Windows Machine using its own SD port. The SD card was a perfect copy of the backup (which is working) and I only tried to update wiistation, after that WiiFlow got crazy in this new SD... it was already working! I am so confused lol

Skylab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I run a USB HDD on a USB port and the microSD using an SD adapter, but to format and fill up the microSD I use an USB adapter in Linux, so I do not know whether the SD card is being mislabled as USB disk at some level that conflicts with the name given to the microSD when formated in a Windows Machine using its own SD port. The SD card was a perfect copy of the backup (which is working) and I only tried to update wiistation, after that WiiFlow got crazy in this new SD... it was already working! I am so confused lol

I don't think your problem have to do anything with wiistation.

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Indeed at this point i think it is simply SD management policy between OS'
Will update tomorrow, maybe keep the queries after I make a final test on Windows.
I will most likely move the question to WiiFlow Rhapsodii Shima

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bro dont overly complicate things for yourself, you making my head spin, also did you formatted to FAT32?

I use a WiiMini because i got no luck with SD cards myself on my white Wii when it comes to Wiistation, it used to pause for 19 times every 3-5 minutes in the older versions, to the point of me not bothering to touch that one Wii.

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Two days after the original post I can confirm I had a corrupted file/bit misplaced between file systems (both FAT32 formats of the same microSD).
The fix was a third formatting with FAT32 and a fresh copy of the last working microSD Dump.

Original Post:
Yes.
First successful run with the 256GB microSD was over a fat32 partition done in windows with GUIformat32. (Using a Windows PC's SD Card to MotherBoard port.

I finally, after 3 Linux re-formats with clean working filesystems I got my backup SD DUMP to be recognized by the Wii with the 256GB microSD. (Using an USB 1.0 or 2.0 to microSD adapter to the USB port of the Linux computer).

And I do think it was a single stuborn file that resisted being erased and had to enter the folder hosting it via Root to finally get done with it.

Yeah, I did not notice any damage until I tried to use WiiFlow 2 days later, because WiiRadio and WiiMC are reading the microSD files (music, media) even when WiiFlow failed to load.

So it was a corrupted file during my lame failure of a WiiStation update to 3.0. I had to reformat twice over its file system. Using Disks utility under Ubuntu. To finally get the same working back up image to jibe with the Wii.

Last edited by popckorn,

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, maybe a noob question, but why is everyone typing about 240P? Is it that much better? Or is there a different reason for that?

Skylab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Sorry, maybe a noob question, but why is everyone typing about 240P? Is it that much better? Or is there a different reason for that?
If you are using crt it so much better. Most consumer crts are 240p only.
Ps1 games with wiistation on crt with 240p + rgb cable looks amazing.

Reactions: 0arsoluto and L0w

popckorn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I can confirm: Today, playing on 240p with a True Flat Phillips CRT via Component Cable, does make WiiStation and SNES9X (240p available there as well) look so much better than they looked back when, on their original hardware via Composite on an early 90s Trinitron CRT.

Reactions: L0w

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you are using crt it so much better. Most consumer crts are 240p only.
Ps1 games with wiistation on crt with 240p + rgb cable looks amazing.

I can confirm: Today, playing on 240p with a True Flat Phillips CRT via Component Cable, does make WiiStation and SNES9X (240p available there as well) look so much better than they looked back when, on their original hardware via Composite on an early 90s Trinitron CRT.

Thank you for the answers, this makes sense.
But what if you're not on component, but HDMI? Will it make any difference? Or would it be better to not use 240p on HDMI?

steval_beaning

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

essentially 240p is the resolution these games originally rendered at, so if you have a CRT or a good upscaler (like an OSSC or retrotink) it can be good to output at this resolution as it will look the most crisp. however most modern flatscreen TVs don't accept 240p correctly (often interpreting it as 480i which causes visual issues) so 480p (which is essentially doubling the original resolution) would be a better option if you're directly connecting your Wii to a HD flat screen via component or HDMI.

• Wow
Reactions: L0w and popckorn

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While 240p looks crisp I must admit that I prefer the softer look of 480i. I play on a CRT btw. I hate seeing pixels and edges too clearly. Definitely a matter of preference

L0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
essentially 240p is the resolution these games originally rendered at, so if you have a CRT or a good upscaler (like an OSSC or retrotink) it can be good to output at this resolution as it will look the most crisp. however most modern flatscreen TVs don't accept 240p correctly (often interpreting it as 480i which causes visual issues) so 480p (which is essentially doubling the original resolution) would be a better option if you're directly connecting your Wii to a HD flat screen via component or HDMI.
Thank you for the explanation.
But there is no 480p/480i option is Wiistation, does this mean that if you leave the options "blanc" it will automatically output 480p/480i?

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I would humbly like to request a feature to add shoulder press at half pressure rather than a full click on the gamecube controller, similar to how retroarch does it. It's very tiring to have to full press every single time to register a shoulder press.

0arsoluto

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Unrelated SD "single file corruption" that set WiiFlow to crash at boot, while the rest of the SD data was being red properly.
Data corruption most likely due to an error by unplugging the SD card from the PC while it was writing onto it (a good minute or two after copying the files onto it, according to GUI).

Original Post:

hello. I have had problems with both micro SD and hard drives. since I put a little tape or insulating tape on the tab to fix the reading position on the micro SD to SD adapter. when you put the sd in the sd slot of the wii it is easy for the tab to move by the simple movement of inserting it which does not allow data to be recorded in it... and the file that is recorded from wiiflow in the Wii memory if it is modified... when you put the SD back in, the information on it does not match that of the Wiiflow memory file on the Wii and an error occurs that modifies the content of the SD, corrupting it (this is what I'm saying). It's my idea, I guess it's beyond the corruption of the micro SD). Well, the fact is that since I discovered this "trick" Wiiflow data corruption has not happened to me again. all the best

Reactions: popckorn and Tototi

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you for the explanation.
But there is no 480p/480i option is Wiistation, does this mean that if you leave the options "blanc" it will automatically output 480p/480i?

It will run in whatever the Wii system setting is set to except for the combination of 240p+interlaced which forces 480i mode regardless of system setting on the games that ran in interlaced mode, similar as original hardware.

Also this sound is very harsh in quite a few games, gaussian sound interpolation is definitely needed

Last edited by Disorarara,
Reactions: L0w

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol