PS1/2 Emulator WiiStation - Another Fork of WiiSXRX released

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My Bios are already on USB.
What difference to the performance could make the location of my save data/memory cards?
My HDD is fast enough, it runs all kinds of GC and Wii games in full speed with zero sttutering. And it loads everything extremelly fast, almost all of my GC and Wii games have zero loading times.

Also, the Wii only supports USB 2.0, if you have more than that it won't make much of a difference. To say someone needs USB 3.0 to play Wii is wrong.

Please read this:

Hey man, its ok listen, i already mentioned that my normal white wii gave me issues running Wiistation and even WiiSX 2023 via USB and SD card with the dreaded 19 pauses every 3 minutes, but let me tell you, before i acquire that white wii, i emulated mostly on my Wii Mini (the red toploader one) because that one was a gift from my sister years ago, and i been waiting several years up until a modding method surfaced, and last year, i indeed soft modded it finally, and went broke with emulators, mainly SNES, NES and GBA, but one day mGBA started to run into problems with Wario Land 3 which paused and sustained on a single music note and softlocked, so i track down a regular wii because i was also having issues with some apps not working properly, then i read that many apps don't work with wiimotes with Wii motion Plus integrated, such as the Atari 2600 emulator, so i gave up on those, it was on the regular wii that i run into issues with PS1 emulation, so i tested the Wii Mini, and they run with no pauses there, and so far mGBA doesn't seem to screw up lately.

The point is, i recommend getting a Wii Mini and modding it which is harder then the methods used for the normal model, because there's only one mod method for the Mini and that could turn people off (i had to get a laptop and run linux with an USB Bluetooth receiver and run command code to get it to work), but to tell you the truth, emulation performance seems to wildly be variable across the wii revisions, specially with emulators like these, sounds like a bad deal but if you don't have a real psx, let alone the cash and methods to either modchip it or invest on PSIO or Xstation, i think you should keep looking around every few months for updates on Wiistation, besides lightrec is only barely over half a year old, and we hit several leaps in performance and compatibility, its still obviously a bit of a road to go, just the fact that we don't really know what other games are still riddled with softlocks or DSI crashes, and have them fixed on a regular basis cannot be done yet, only step by step, and lightrec changes can also accidentally breaks stuff too, but things arent too bad all things consider.

I was disappointed with the PS1 emulation scene around a year ago but i stuck with it just because i wanted a way to play PS1 on my CRT and not on my PC, and when Wiistation got its rebrand from its original WiiSXRX2022 title, it seems like things were slowly but surely looking like the efforts were starting to being felt, even when progress was very small, but with some patience, and care, things can make a difference.
Post automatically merged:

Wall of text aside, i playtest Darkstalkers 3 on PS1 and while it runs at full speed, there's an awful graphical mess on the right corner of the screen that looks very ugly, but i was running the uncensored patch, so ill test the regular edition.

Tested both Darkstalkers 3 and Vampire Saviour EX and they both behave the same way.

20231001_223941.jpg
20231001_223714.jpg
20231001_223643.jpg
20231001_223428.jpg

Also tested Kamen Rider V3, game works at full speed, but after beating up the first chapter, then messing up with other modes, and then returning to story mode to try the 2nd chapter, game softlocks with cutscene errors and fucks up.

The game also runs with some sort of screen tearing that divides the picture into 3 rectangles or so, V3 its one of the games that runs at 480i

Last edited by MeXen,

Dakangel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was trying SOTN with your last version (0.0.5). And I'm getting a lot of sttutering. The performance is almost great, if It was not for the sttutering It would've been perfect. I tried other versions like 0.0.4 too, but got the same results.
I'm also having this issue with other games such as Megaman X5 and Gex.

Does anybody knows how to solve this?

My Settings are:...
Try selecting dynarec, then close and re open the emulator for the change to take effect.
Try another version of the emulator like wiistation 1.0 and compare how the game works in both versions

Has been said that maybe is a cache issue with lightrec that hasnt be properly implemented and affects a lot of games.

This has nothing to do with the revision of your console, if that were the case, it would be better to forget about them and get a wii u, but you would lose the 240p advantage.
Or better yet, buying a PS1 and a raspberry pi zero.

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to mention one thing, but this one is in regard sound emulation? is it possible to introduce low pass/interpolation filter, this would fix the inaccurate/bad sound

I would like to second this. I was going to ask about this a while back as well.

Can Gaussian interpolation be added to the sound plugin (or enabled if it already exists) with a toggle option in case of possible slowdowns?

Also, the Retroarch port on the Wii has this option.

retrodern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried the WiiStation 0.5 version with CHD support and some games that had problems with the previous version now work without errors:
V-Rally 2 / The Italian Job / Mille Miglia / C3 Racing / Road Rash 3D / Uprising X
I've tried other titles and they work well:
Killer Loop / Battle Arena Toshinden / Vanark / Darklight Conflict / WLS 99'
Changing the conversation about CHD's, after more than a year since I put the PSX emulator on my Wii Mini, there is a game that has never worked with any version I've tried (WiiSX-WiiSXR/WiiSXRX/WiiStation)
I'm talking about This Is Football 2 (one of the best football titles on PS1) and every time I tried it it always crashed as soon as I pressed X to start a game (I've always tried it in bin/cue format)
@SaulFabre I'm asking you because you very kindly took into consideration my request for the F1 games, if you have a few free minutes and want to take a look at it, could you tell me if you can find out what the problem is with that game and if there is is this a way to solve it? The only thing I can say for sure is that the first chapter works without problems

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
View attachment 397029
[/QUOTE]
I tried the WiiStation 0.5 version with CHD support and some games that had problems with the previous version now work without errors:
V-Rally 2 / The Italian Job / Mille Miglia / C3 Racing / Road Rash 3D / Uprising X
I've tried other titles and they work well:
Killer Loop / Battle Arena Toshinden / Vanark / Darklight Conflict / WLS 99'
Changing the conversation about CHD's, after more than a year since I put the PSX emulator on my Wii Mini, there is a game that has never worked with any version I've tried (WiiSX-WiiSXR/WiiSXRX/WiiStation)
I'm talking about This Is Football 2 (one of the best football titles on PS1) and every time I tried it it always crashed as soon as I pressed X to start a game (I've always tried it in bin/cue format)
@SaulFabre I'm asking you because you very kindly took into consideration my request for the F1 games, if you have a few free minutes and want to take a look at it, could you tell me if you can find out what the problem is with that game and if there is is this a way to solve it? The only thing I can say for sure is that the first chapter works without problems

Have you tried the Wii RetroArch port of PCSX rearmed? It might work

xunga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The option to disable the FPS limiter with a combination of buttons was a very good idea. Also the access to the menu using the Home button is very nice.

In general the emulator works quite well, some isolated games can give code dump due mostly to the use of lightrec which is easily solved by playing with Dynarec. For example Looney Tunes Sheep Raider only works fine with dynarec in both American and European versions.

Of the 150 or 200 games that make up my collection, which includes all the important ones, there are not many that give me problems. I would only indicate the following, which I have already mentioned in a previous post:

- Koudelka. This game gave problems in the introduction video (it always stopped at some point) but it has been solved and I have been able to play it more than once. I'm already on the second disc without errors.

- Fear Effect 1 and 2. It keeps getting stuck at some point in the videos, as in previous versions. This also happens with Dynarec.

- Jade Coocon. In all the psx emulators in wii it has never been possible to save/load from the game itself, you have to use states obligatorily.

- Lunar 1 Silver Star Complete. The game works fine, but the videos look off-center and with altered colors, something that does not happen in Lunar 2 Eternal Blue.

Finally, I'd like to know if it would be possible to add more custom controller slots, especially in the wiimote+nunchuk configuration. The current four slots are sufficient for most of the console's catalog, but at least one or two more would be appreciated.

In any case, thank you very much for sharing this marvel that allow us to enjoy good retro games. The Wii is a great console.

Last edited by xunga,

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tested Mortal Kombat 4 last midnight, work no seeming issues but i played it with no sound cause it was late, managed to get trough Goro at least.

Tested another game but didnt load past the BIOS bootscreen and i cannot remember what it was (the bootscreen didnt have any legends below the Playstation logo)

Reactions: SaulFabre

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about 480p.

Does the video plugin de-interlace the 480i image, or does it convert 480i to 480p?

Duckstation renders 480i to 480p if you enable it in the options, and the picture is, of course, even cleaner than de-interlaced 480i.

If this port of pcsx(r) could do that we could have the cleanest picture possible, unless it already does.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question about 480p.

Does the video plugin de-interlace the 480i image, or does it convert 480i to 480p?

Duckstation renders 480i to 480p if you enable it in the options, and the picture is, of course, even cleaner than de-interlaced 480i.

If this port of pcsx(r) could do that we could have the cleanest picture possible, unless it already does.

Disabling Interlaced does that, but none of the interlaced games run full speed if you do that. Only Devil Dice and Internal Section have good results.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@retrodern

After a little investigation, i've noticed that there was a similar issue like you described on This is Football 2 in PCSX-ReARMed.

gameblabla and notaz fixed that in this commit: https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/pull/205/files

However this CDROM "hack" isn't in WiiStation, but i could try merging that "hack" and see if that fixes This is Football 2.
I'll do later, right now im busy

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
480i games are always rendered in 480p unless interlaced mode is selected.

So it basically does what Duckstation does by rendering in 480p instead of de-interlacing 480i? Excellent.

That would explain why the PSX boot screen logo and words look as clean as they do.

Last edited by _47iscool,

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried the new build, unfortunately the results were the same.
I tested SOTN JAP + English translation (Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku v1.2 [SLPM-86023] + Gemini hack) on latest wiistation release by Jokippo (v16a) and it works flawlessly.
Same settings as you (except Show FPS is off), Wii Pal RVL-001, usb stick.
Note: even the game over screen does not lag anymore (there was a huge slowdown on the "melting death screen" the last time I played SOTN ~3 months ago, on wiistation v7b).

Last edited by Ouaz,
Reactions: Felold

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
@retrodern

After a little investigation, i've noticed that there was a similar issue like you described on This is Football 2 in PCSX-ReARMed.

gameblabla and notaz fixed that in this commit: https://github.com/notaz/pcsx_rearmed/pull/205/files

However this CDROM "hack" isn't in WiiStation, but i could try merging that "hack" and see if that fixes This is Football 2.
I'll do later, right now im busy
I rechecked WiiStation code and it actually has this hack mentioned (my bad), but i tried to robust it but it has the same results :( (freezing when trying to start a game)

I think the only solution possible is updating the CDRISO and CDROM code from PCSX-ReARMed to WiiStation, but it's quite hard.
If someone can do this of merging latest CDRISO and CDROM code from PCSX-ReARMed, i'll give a diamond medal and 25 gold stars as bonus for achieveing that.

retrodern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I rechecked WiiStation code and it actually has this hack mentioned (my bad), but i tried to robust it but it has the same results :( (freezing when trying to start a game)

I think the only solution possible is updating the CDRISO and CDROM code from PCSX-ReARMed to WiiStation, but it's quite hard.
If someone can do this of merging latest CDRISO and CDROM code from PCSX-ReARMed, i'll give a diamond medal and 25 gold stars as bonus for achieveing that.
Thanks so much for your support friend 🙌 my request was mostly out of curiosity 😅
Then if you can fix the problem and make the game work, even better 😎

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I tested SOTN JAP + English translation (Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasoukyoku v1.2 [SLPM-86023] + Gemini hack) on latest wiistation release by Jokippo (v16a) and it works flawlessly.
Same settings as you (except Show FPS is off), Wii Pal RVL-001, usb stick.
Note: even the game over screen does not lag anymore (there was a huge slowdown on the "melting death screen" the last time I played SOTN ~3 months ago, on wiistation v7b).

i am afraid to say this isnt true, tested some playthrough with both SotN and GnY and the fps still goes down 32fps for a few seconds during the transition buffer of the melt screen.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i am afraid to say this isnt true, tested some playthrough with both SotN and GnY and the fps still goes down 32fps for a few seconds during the transition buffer of the melt screen.
I tested it yesterday but I'll check again (as I play with "Show FPS off"), but:

-v7b: the screen almost froze during the "melting" animation, with heavy sound "crackles"

- v16a: the melting animation is smooth and sound is perfect.

Maybe there's a minor framerate drop, but unnoticeable without the FPS counter. ^^

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
I tested it yesterday but I'll check again (as I play with "Show FPS off"), but:

-v7b: the screen almost froze during the "melting" animation, with heavy sound "crackles"

- v16a: the melting animation is smooth and sound is perfect.

Maybe there's a minor framerate drop, but unnoticeable without the FPS counter. ^^

lightrec caching will cause some unavoidable dips even in games that run full speed otherwise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :cry: You arent'? :cry:
    [tells my mom not to send you anymore Christmas presents] :evil: :rofl2: :tpi:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im a minor
    So. I'm a Major
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im under 18
    I'm waaaaaaaaaay over 18. lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that makes you a pedo
    Pedo = 1. child 2. boy 3. ? I forgot. But I wish I were still a "Boy" :sad::cry::cry::cry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i meant simping over someone under 18 while you are over 18 makes you a pedophile
    And when did I "simp" you?
    Just go make me the darn coffee :angry:
    Tea?
    LoL lmao
    L8er dude. going to watch YT's on the Ukraine/ruskie war.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi,tbh i think im
    not interested in whats going on irl
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tomorrow's memorial day, so i've been looking for a playlist, but it's all just country and alternative rock
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, memorial day for who?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why the hell can't i find one with a song about the soldiers who died in battle, the very reason we celebrate
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Bake them a cake :ninja:
    +1
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    I can change my name back tomorrow
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, what will your new username be?
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    My original one
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about the actual reasons behind it. For most it's just another reason to get shit faced drunk and spout off hyper-patriotic nonsense. The Trumpers around here going to be out in full force with their trucks and guns and flags making noise all over town. Hard pass.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Stayin inside for memorial day. Just like other holidays, most people dont care or think about...