Iceman
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zelda is the only reason people have the system, but even that would get tired fast since it's the main reason to have the system. Anything that comes out first isn't going to be worth it if something better will come alone anyway that's easier to use than the last, so when another chip does come out that takes more than a few week to make then well see more options along with better quality.

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
^ as far as i know mod chips are for backups, not to release so everyone can pirates the good games

plus it said GC + WII backups so i think thats a rather large amount of good games to play

im concern about being an early adopter. I bought a M3 CF and weeks later the m3 SD slim came out. besides being faster, what could newer mod chips do

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
^ as far as i know mod chips are for backups, not to release so everyone can pirates the good games

plus it said GC + WII backups so i think thats a rather large amount of good games to play

im concern about being an early adopter. I bought a M3 CF and weeks later the m3 SD slim came out. besides being faster, what could newer mod chips do

Play games from other regions
Run homebrew software
Be even easier to install (solder-less solution)
Be more difficult for Nintendo to block

We don't know how long-term this solution is, if Nintendo will produce some sort of penalty for having this chip in your system, like locking firmware updates or online play or even disabling the system with an online update. This solution also only plays backups from your own region and as far as I know cannot run Wii homebrew software.

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome news assuming it's true. Gonna sit back and watch the action for a little while first though, don't really wanna chuck anything in my Wii after how much I spent on it lol, especially as I'm someone who wouldn't be able to solder their way out of a paper bag!

=)

I'm salivating at the thought of being able to use a simple 5-wire modchip to play all my GC games on the Wii, instead of going through all the GC modding to get that to work (ala the Viper chip and case replacement).
Why not get a xeno chip for the GC? No wires - just a couple of blobs of solder, heck even I was able to do it, only costs about $20 shipped. Burn your GC isos on 8cm DVDs and away you go. xeno plays all GC games, even Twilight Princess, boots straight into them no fuss. =)

How is that possible, when many GC games are over 1.4 GB (the max size of mini-DVDs)? The only larger versions of that size DVD (8cm) are double-sided, which obviously wouldn't work with a game not meant to be on a double-sided disc.

The Viper case mod increases the actual bay size of the GC, so you can insert and run full sized DVD-R media. I'm hoping this Wii modchip lets you just play games off a full DVD-R.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How is that possible, when many GC games are over 1.4 GB (the max size of mini-DVDs)? The only larger versions of that size DVD (8cm) are double-sided, which obviously wouldn't work with a game not meant to be on a double-sided disc.

The Viper case mod increases the actual bay size of the GC, so you can insert and run full sized DVD-R media. I'm hoping this Wii modchip lets you just play games off a full DVD-R.
Actually only a few GC games are more than 1.4GB and those are all 2 disc games - there are no retail GC games on dual layer DVDs. The only reason the case mods exist are because full sized media is cheaper than 8cm media.

Also the Wiinja mod chip doesn't say anything about playing GC games yet, besides for all we know there may be physical lock/switch in the Wii to distinguish between Wii and GC games by size of disc, e.g. like how the GBA has a switch inside the cart slot to boot into GB mode when pressed by the extra plastic moulding on the base of the GB/GBC carts.

=)

sabinraijin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Actually only a few GC games are more than 1.4GB and those are all 2 disc games - there are no retail GC games on dual layer DVDs. The only reason the case mods exist are because full sized media is cheaper than 8cm media.

Also the Wiinja mod chip doesn't say anything about playing GC games yet, besides for all we know there may be physical lock/switch in the Wii to distinguish between Wii and GC games by size of disc, e.g. like how the GBA has a switch inside the cart slot to boot into GB mode when pressed by the extra plastic moulding on the base of the GB/GBC carts.

=)

Ah, my mistake. I thought I saw THUG2 as 1.92 GB, but that was REZ or RE1 at 2 discs.

Hm, wish my friend knew about Xeno when he modded his GC. Did the whole shebang with Viper mod and the case replacement.

Though I'm still hoping the Wiinja plays GC backups.

And if it's a physical switch, than it would probably have something to do with the actual size of the discs since that's the only difference, physically, between DVDs and mini-DVDs. In that case, you could just burn a GC game to a mini-DVD in theory. Here's to hoping this chip has GC support since I don't currently have a GC, but a Wii.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm gonna be sitting on the fence. I can remember when the first xbox mod chips came out, you can even compare them to the xenium ice or xecuter 3. You never know if nintendo could stop us using the mod chip with a firmware upgrade.

Bram Stoker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is anyone surprised about this modchip coming out?

Tmbinc (of gamecube fame) has publically announced HOW to make this modchip, a month ago.

The least they (wiinja) could do is give tmbinc credit.

wackme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda is the only reason people have the system, but even that would get tired fast since it's the main reason to have the system. Anything that comes out first isn't going to be worth it if something better will come alone anyway that's easier to use than the last, so when another chip does come out that takes more than a few week to make then well see more options along with better quality.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Zelda is the only reason? You do know that the Gamecube version outsold the Wii version in December? Did you know that world-wide, 5.5 games were sold for every Wii that was sold?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

=)
Wiinja supports Gamecube backups on either mini or regular sized media.
smile.gif

Though be careful, and use good quality media or you'll end up with your fair share of DRE's.

Kurai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Zelda is the only reason? You do know that the Gamecube version outsold the Wii version in December? Did you know that world-wide, 5.5 games were sold for every Wii that was sold?
The only reason i'd buy a Wii for would be Zelda, the rest of the games are a peice of donkey shit. Besides Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

=)
Wiinja supports Gamecube backups on either mini or regular sized media.
smile.gif

Though be careful, and use good quality media or you'll end up with your fair share of DRE's.
Right. That's it. I'm gonna buy it. Oh wait, I don't have a Wii yet.... I SHALL FIX THAT.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The Ninja team claims the modchip will not be detected by the Nintendo Wii since it is attached to the DVD-Drive and not to the Wii motherboard.
And AFAIK, Nintendo didn't manufacture the DVD-Drive themselves...
So they could be right.
If so, that's good news.

The bad news is: the modchip can't be updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes