Hardware Wiimote Scrached Lens

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have noticed that one of wiimotes is working a lot better than the other. When I looked at the end lens I noticed one of them is covered in teeth marks and scratches from where why son used to mouth the remote when he was younger.

Does anyone know if you can purchase the end lens from anywhere?

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He just used to sit the mote on his bottom lip while waiting for his turn. He would then forget himself and start working his top teeth over the lens. We used to tell him off but, by the time you looked back around the bloody thing would be back resting on his lip.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bowser said:
Open up the Wiimote.

Remove the lens.

Profit!
I wasn't sure if the mote sensor needed the dark lens to work properly or not. I could probably find a duff mote on ebay and use it for parts.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Nah...it's just to protect the innards from dust and stuff. And in this case, from your son's saliva
smile.gif

You can probably just replace the lens with clear plastic tape. Should work fine. If anything, the range might even increase a bit!

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
depending on how bad it is scratched, you may be able to take the plastic part off and polish it to remove the scratches. a polishing wheel and some compound, a spindoctor CD resurfacer, some fine sand paper and water, or even some plain ole toothpaste and a soft cloth will remove scratches from automobile paint. i would guess that any of these would work for the wiimote part unless your son was gnawing on it like a piece of raw meat.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bowser said:
Nah...it's just to protect the innards from dust and stuff. And in this case, from your son's saliva
smile.gif

You can probably just replace the lens with clear plastic tape. Should work fine. If anything, the range might even increase a bit!
It goes crazy without the lens. I think the lens filters out other light sources so only the infrared source gets through. With the lens off it flickers all over the place.

Edit: Tooth paste has worked well to get a lot of the small scratches out, it works a lot better now, thanks @giantpune

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gHl4P7AXt0