Homebrew Wiimednafen. Is it the best around for ALL supported consoles?

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so I've been a bit out of the loop lately, can someone please let me know how Wiimednafen goes? I see it supports the following list. But is it the best on the wii for ALL the systems it emulates?

ie. SNES is better on Mednafen, but MegaDrive is better on Genesis Plus

• GameBoy/GameBoy Color
  • GameBoy Advance
  • Game Gear
  • Lynx
  • Mega Drive/Genesis
  • Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)
  • Neo Geo Pocket
  • PC Engine (CD)/TurboGrafx 16 (CD)/SuperGrafx (Fast version)
  • PC-FX
  • Sega Master System
  • Virtual Boy
  • WonderSwan
A bit of a rundown on which Mednafen emulators to use and which ones to avoid (and use other available emulators on Wii) is all I'm after. - Not concerned about fancy features, just truest emulation. Thanks!

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tried the gba emulated part, I tested mario and luigi super star saga, super mario world advance they worked good except for mario bros 3 advance. I don't even think a snes is ported yet because I could not load my rom. Also this is at a very early stage so not much configuration can be done. It be best to stick with certain emulating apps for a while.

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using it for a while now for NES/GB/GBC/GBA/VirtualBoy and also for Neo Geo Pocket. I haven't taken the time to check out some of the others it can emulate. I use SNES9x GX and Genplus GX also though and since Genplus GX pretty much handles every Sega system (minus Saturn/DC) it's the only one I use for Sega-based games.

Although I don't think Mednafen handles SNES games, It was a simple solution for all my other Nintendo emulating needs. I was originally going to try FCE Ultra and VBA but when I found Mednafen it just seemed to be the more logical solution for me. I'd rather have one emulator program installed rather than multiple emulator programs. Just a matter of preference I guess. I don't know how well the quality is when compared to other emulators but I've never had any problems with emulation. Everything runs pretty smooth for me so I can't complain. It serves its purpose.

(A couple of nes homebrew roms I've tried weren't able to load due to "file size too big")

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i forgot about retroarch! I guess my same question still applys, but to retroarch instead of mednafen.
& is the genesis in retro arch the same as the emu by eke? just searching for the best emus around at the moment.
from memory retroarch was better at SNES, but cant remember much else.

EDIT: and is retroarch neogeo any good? or geogx? or is was injecting still the way to go?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i forgot about retroarch! I guess my same question still applys, but to retroarch instead of mednafen.
& is the genesis in retro arch the same as the emu by eke? just searching for the best emus around at the moment.
from memory retroarch was better at SNES, but cant remember much else.

EDIT: and is retroarch neogeo any good? or geogx? or is was injecting still the way to go?
Retroarch is combination of most available emulators on Wii.
Some have improvement over original emu's like SNEGX and VBA GX.
Latest build of genisisplusGX is implemented.
Mednafen Wii also inplemented etc etc.

So Retroarch is your best bet.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii Mednafen has superior PC-Engine emulation. It's missing some NES mappers and the Genesis emulator is slower than the standalone Genesis emulator.

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The idea is good but very ambitious. The project is moving very slow for Wii, a console almost extinct.

I still prefer each emulator separately and are perfected his rhythm

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These probably aren't the best videos out there also they're older. Mednafen is at least up to v0.1.1 now and Idk about Retroarch but I think it's at v0.9.9. These videos are split into 4 parts. I just grabbed one from each. In the end it just comes down to a matter of preference. Hope this helps!

Retroarch:

Mednafen:

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of Retroarch v0.9.9 Cores currently supported:
- Genesis Plus GX
- SNES9x Next
- VBA Next
- NEStopia
- FCEUmm
- Mednafen PCE Fast
- Mednafen NGP
- Mednafen VB
- Mednafen Wonderswan
- Prboom
- NX Engine (Cave Story) (NEW!)
- FInal Burn Alpha
- Gambatte
- Tyrquake (NEW!)
- QuickNES (NEW!)

Duckuss_Maxximo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know the NXEngine was a big deal for me when I found out it was ported to RA. I was hoping to play Cave Story on my phone. But my phone is a piece of crap (droid 2.2 froyo) anyway and it would be pointless to sync a bluetooth controller just to play on a small screen anyway. Plus I have the Wiiware version of Cave Story so it's not that big of deal.

rich333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Cool, so basically RetroArch for all supported cores & standalone emulators for anything else not supported by RetorArch. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks! :yaywii:

...now to setup wiiflow with plugins & covers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.