Hacking Wiikey stops working?

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using a Wiikey for about a month now with no problems at all. Just yesterday it read backups without a problem. But today, I've been trying many different discs and the result is always the same: the disc cannot be read.

I was just wondering if it is possible for the Wiikey to somehow just stop working like this...or is it just a fluke of some kind that discs don't work, if there is such a thing.

Thanks in advance.

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dang...it just seems wierd to me...my wii's been sitting in the same place the whole time and the next minute a wire pops off...I guess I'll have to check it out myself... thanks for the help

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something interesting came up just now...after trying a backup disc without taking apart my Wii yet, it recognized the disc in the disc channel! But after starting it up, it gives me the black screen with disc error stuff in white letters.

I'm just curious because shouldn't it not be able to recognize backups if the wiikey is not connected somewhere?

CodeXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the best thing to do is just to open it up again and check the wires and solder pts. might have come loose depending on how it was soldered, how secure the chip is, and how often the wii was moved. after this then the real troubleshooting can occur.

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright thanks everyone i'll open it up as soon as I can find my tools haha

And if it does turn out the likely case that a wire is loose or whatever, what would be best to prevent it from happening again? Could I just like stick some tape over it or something?

klingon888

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my advice - forget about Wiikey. mine went dead too after a few weeks - and its a genuine wiikey too. appears to be happening to quite a lot of wiikeys. probably thats why its so cheap now.

read up about Wiifree. made one myself and never looked back. if you can solder and install a Wiikey, this is fairly easy and cost less than $5. at least i can re-program it if something goes bad. been working great so far.

all instructions you need - http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiifree/

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
my advice - forget about Wiikey. mine went dead too after a few weeks - and its a genuine wiikey too. appears to be happening to quite a lot of wiikeys. probably thats why its so cheap now.

read up about Wiifree. made one myself and never looked back. if you can solder and install a Wiikey, this is fairly easy and cost less than $5. at least i can re-program it if something goes bad. been working great so far.

all instructions you need - http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiifree/

actually reflashing it can be a real pain.

but wiifree is spose to be a good modchip
smile.gif
better than a wiikey in my opinion
biggrin.gif
thou I havnt really looked into the other open source wii modchips

-------------
Thread starter is it a clone wiikey or a genuine wiikey that died? ive seen some real bad clone wiikeys and they are just very poor quality.

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New development! After unplugging the Wii for a bit to cool it off, popping in a disc after plugging it back in works perfect!

Would this mean it has something to do with a heating issue? I'm gonna look into this more but I'm just psyched that it's working again.

Social0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Mine only gives problems when it has been disconnected from the power socket for a while and I then start it up with a disc inside. I have to remove the disc first and then power it on and after it shows the wii menu, then i can put in my disc.

So basicly, turn off the wii and turn it on without a disc inside or unplug it again an dplug it back in and you should be fine

ninjya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Biggest chance is that you have cold soldering points. Works for a while when the soldering is new and when the machine is warm enough. Best way to fix this is to just heat up every soldering point with your iron. without moving around the soldering cables or so. When the points are heated good the soldering points will be shiny. When they are not shiny it means you have a cold solder.

kdr4485

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unfortunately, not solved...

I put in another disc after playing one for a good 30 minutes and it went back to the same problem. But since it still works some of the time...gah i'm still so confused with this...and I can't open it up at present because I lost my tools...

I unplugged it again to see if it will work again later.

EDIT: Works once again after 30min-45min unplugged then plugged in again. I would love to know what this all means...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright