Wiikey stops working?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kdr4485, Aug 23, 2007.

Aug 23, 2007

Wiikey stops working? by kdr4485 at 12:11 AM (2,182 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    I've been using a Wiikey for about a month now with no problems at all. Just yesterday it read backups without a problem. But today, I've been trying many different discs and the result is always the same: the disc cannot be read.

I was just wondering if it is possible for the Wiikey to somehow just stop working like this...or is it just a fluke of some kind that discs don't work, if there is such a thing.

Thanks in advance.

2. aardvarks

Member aardvarks GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    sounds like a connection has come adrift. how did you fit the key?

3. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    I used a wire connection. Is it really possible for something to come loose out of the blue like that?

4. aardvarks

United Kingdom
    yes m8 happend to me on wii i modded and sold. came back 8 weeks later and one wire had come off!!

5. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    dang...it just seems wierd to me...my wii's been sitting in the same place the whole time and the next minute a wire pops off...I guess I'll have to check it out myself... thanks for the help

6. aardvarks

United Kingdom
    worth a look m8

7. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    After some time a couple of my wires crossed (??). Probably moving the Wii around. Open it up to make sure everything's fine.

8. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    Something interesting came up just now...after trying a backup disc without taking apart my Wii yet, it recognized the disc in the disc channel! But after starting it up, it gives me the black screen with disc error stuff in white letters.

I'm just curious because shouldn't it not be able to recognize backups if the wiikey is not connected somewhere?

9. braulio09

Newcomer braulio09 Newbie

Mexico
    switch positions...mine doesn't work well when in vertical position, so i changed it to horizontal and it works

10. CodeXero

Newcomer CodeXero Newbie

United States
    the best thing to do is just to open it up again and check the wires and solder pts. might have come loose depending on how it was soldered, how secure the chip is, and how often the wii was moved. after this then the real troubleshooting can occur.

11. shark1987

Member shark1987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yea, i would double check. the vibration of the disc drive could be moving the wire around inside, connecting it and disconnecting it.

12. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    alright thanks everyone i'll open it up as soon as I can find my tools haha

And if it does turn out the likely case that a wire is loose or whatever, what would be best to prevent it from happening again? Could I just like stick some tape over it or something?

13. klingon888

Newcomer klingon888 Newbie

United States
    my advice - forget about Wiikey. mine went dead too after a few weeks - and its a genuine wiikey too. appears to be happening to quite a lot of wiikeys. probably thats why its so cheap now.

read up about Wiifree. made one myself and never looked back. if you can solder and install a Wiikey, this is fairly easy and cost less than $5. at least i can re-program it if something goes bad. been working great so far.

all instructions you need - http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiifree/

14. gamez2003

Newcomer gamez2003 Advanced Member

Australia
    actually reflashing it can be a real pain.

but wiifree is spose to be a good modchip [​IMG] better than a wiikey in my opinion [​IMG] thou I havnt really looked into the other open source wii modchips

-------------
    Thread starter is it a clone wiikey or a genuine wiikey that died? ive seen some real bad clone wiikeys and they are just very poor quality.

15. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    New development! After unplugging the Wii for a bit to cool it off, popping in a disc after plugging it back in works perfect!

Would this mean it has something to do with a heating issue? I'm gonna look into this more but I'm just psyched that it's working again.

16. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    Mine only gives problems when it has been disconnected from the power socket for a while and I then start it up with a disc inside. I have to remove the disc first and then power it on and after it shows the wii menu, then i can put in my disc.

So basicly, turn off the wii and turn it on without a disc inside or unplug it again an dplug it back in and you should be fine

17. ninjya

Newcomer ninjya Advanced Member

Biggest chance is that you have cold soldering points. Works for a while when the soldering is new and when the machine is warm enough. Best way to fix this is to just heat up every soldering point with your iron. without moving around the soldering cables or so. When the points are heated good the soldering points will be shiny. When they are not shiny it means you have a cold solder.

18. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    He already solved the problem..

19. ninjya

Newcomer ninjya Advanced Member

Ok. I guess I'm too lazy to read through whole threads at midnight :/ Sorry.

20. kdr4485
    OP

Newcomer kdr4485 Member

United States
    Unfortunately, not solved...

I put in another disc after playing one for a good 30 minutes and it went back to the same problem. But since it still works some of the time...gah i'm still so confused with this...and I can't open it up at present because I lost my tools...

I unplugged it again to see if it will work again later.

EDIT: Works once again after 30min-45min unplugged then plugged in again. I would love to know what this all means...