Hacking Wiikey site updated!

opiv22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what exactly do they mean by "Boots different region GC games/backups (partially without swapping)", I take it that it just means that it direct boots games from your region and every other region needs a swap. Or is it both ntsc-u and ntsc-j games boot directly w/an ntsc system. Anyhow just wanna check before I buy if anybody can help out so any specifics would help.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yep I going have to buy this...

However judging this modchip really BAD layout design:
baddesignub7.jpg

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'd prob use wires also, just slap a electrical tape on the bottom and add some solder on pads. dont know why but i always hated quicksolder pcb stuff. would have been great if wiikey had a second option to buy non quicksolder pcb and knock off about $5-$10.

Edit--

oh i also wish it wasnt like Acekard, everyones hype about it then i'm the only idiot who buys it and hates it... anyhow guess its too late preordered

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can somesome explain to me please how quick solder works? Is there connections of the bottom of the PCB that sit on the pads and you merely heat from the top of the board? I've never seen/used quicksolder,

Also, what is the Lookout referring to on the picture above? Is this a sensitive area or just a reference point?

Presto

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can somesome explain to me please how quick solder works? Is there connections of the bottom of the PCB that sit on the pads and you merely heat from the top of the board? I've never seen/used quicksolder,

Also, what is the Lookout referring to on the picture above? Is this a sensitive area or just a reference point?

you line the chip up then solder the over the point stogether kinda link using tape to hold things together

thekid

Trophies
XP
Country
ive never soldered before . and i keep hearing everyone is gonna use wires. whats the diference? is quicksolder so bad?

Edster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never soldered before . and i keep hearing everyone is gonna use wires. whats the diference? is quicksolder so bad?

I've done my Gamecube. 3 wires, was not big deal. I stil think taking the Wii apart is going to be the biggest challenge. Mind you the GC was no walk in the part either. The smaller the box the bigger the hassle.

Sounds like the only problem with quicksolder is removal. If you have never soldered before, I would suggest do this. Little experience with a hot iron on a PCB board could lead to a big problem.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quick solder installation mean something like this:

081606%20074.jpg

you solder your mod on the points.

I recommended wires reason:

1. you can see your solder point better.
2. can be remove your mod easly.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
quicksolder is easier, but if a new chip comes along, its hard to remove... the entire chip is stuck to the board, so when you try to remove it, you cant pull up on the chip as easily, since 4 other points are still soldered.... wires give you flexibility, and easy to remove.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
theres plenty guys who have never done this before . and quicksolder is more appealing aint it?If you've never soldered before then it's easy to stuff up either kind of install.
quicksolder is easier, but if a new chip comes along, its hard to remove... the entire chip is stuck to the board, so when you try to remove it, you cant pull up on the chip as easily, since 4 other points are still soldered.... wires give you flexibility, and easy to remove.
A lot of people saying quicksolder is easy but it is also easy to stuff up. I've had to fix a friends GC when he quicksoldered a chip on it. It was a mess, he put too much solder on and it went all under the chip. very difficult to remove afterwards, then had to clean all the solder off.
Thank god he never tried to turn it on, something could have been really damaged.

Wires are the way to go, that's my firm belief anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @AncientBois awake hide your kids