• Thread starter The Jackal
  • Start date
  • Views 2,571
  • Replies 5
T

The Jackal

OP
Hi!
I've got a Wiikey Fusion installed, running latest firmware 1.2 and Wii System Software 4.3E.
It's a black Wii (PAL) with the latest DVD-drive so I'm loading games through the SD-card.

The game doesn't boot, it's the PAL-version and the system simply hangs in the main menu with
all the channels.

I've read something about having a disc in the Wii for the game to play, but I can't even insert
a disc (probably due to the drive). It's strange though, I should still be able to insert an
original game (Wii Sports) and play right?

Help?

T

The Jackal

OP
Nevermind. The game works, seems my main/default SD which I bought specifically for the
modchip (a Transcend 16GB Class 10) is damaged, the connectors looks scratched.

I f*cking hate USB Card Readers, they always seem to screw up the storage media you
feed to them.

Tried the game on a smaller 4GB-card lying around (no scratches), played like a charm.

However, considering I need to buy a new SD-card, does anyone know if the 'Class' of the card
even matters for loading games via SD on a Wii? I got a Class 10 because I remember the DS
had problems with slower SD-cards.
Seems like a bad investment buying a high Class if it makes no difference.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
SD Classes are based on the read/write speed - so a class 10 can definitely read/write at at least 10MBps.
A Wii DVD runs at 6x speed, which adds up to just under 8MBps.
So, for ideal performance, you want AT LEAST a card that can attain a read/write of 8MBps (read is the important bit, if you don't mind waiting).
Anything more CAN increase loading speeds, but I have no idea by how much.
All I know is my USB Drive can do 30-36MBps, which equates to about a 27x read speed.
So you can work out the performance gains from there, and choose how much you're willing to spend.

T

The Jackal

OP
toejam316 said:
SD Classes are based on the read/write speed - so a class 10 can definitely read/write at at least 10MBps.
A Wii DVD runs at 6x speed, which adds up to just under 8MBps.
So, for ideal performance, you want AT LEAST a card that can attain a read/write of 8MBps (read is the important bit, if you don't mind waiting).
Anything more CAN increase loading speeds, but I have no idea by how much.
All I know is my USB Drive can do 30-36MBps, which equates to about a 27x read speed.
So you can work out the performance gains from there, and choose how much you're willing to spend.

So basically just the loadscreens are affected? I can probably live with that
smile.gif

My biggest concern would be if games are affected performance wise; say, a game that runs with an
engine that streams the gameplay, potential freezes or choppy FMV-sequences?

T

The Jackal

OP
how_do_i_do_that said:
It only is an issue with games that are a D-9 disc game rips where the speed of the chip becomes the important factor, like super smash bro. brawl. Nearly all D-5 discs sized game rips play reasonally well with any Class 4 or higher SDHC.

What do you mean by issue, in what way are dual-layer-games affected? Not playable?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night