Wiikey Fusion

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by The Jackal, Jul 11, 2010.

Jul 11, 2010

Wiikey Fusion by The Jackal at 9:27 AM (1,685 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. The Jackal

The Jackal Newbie

I've got a Wiikey Fusion installed, running latest firmware 1.2 and Wii System Software 4.3E.
    It's a black Wii (PAL) with the latest DVD-drive so I'm loading games through the SD-card.

The game doesn't boot, it's the PAL-version and the system simply hangs in the main menu with
    all the channels.

I've read something about having a disc in the Wii for the game to play, but I can't even insert
    a disc (probably due to the drive). It's strange though, I should still be able to insert an
    original game (Wii Sports) and play right?

2. The Jackal

The Jackal Newbie

Nevermind. The game works, seems my main/default SD which I bought specifically for the
    modchip (a Transcend 16GB Class 10) is damaged, the connectors looks scratched.

I f*cking hate USB Card Readers, they always seem to screw up the storage media you
    feed to them.

Tried the game on a smaller 4GB-card lying around (no scratches), played like a charm.

However, considering I need to buy a new SD-card, does anyone know if the 'Class' of the card
    even matters for loading games via SD on a Wii? I got a Class 10 because I remember the DS
    had problems with slower SD-cards.
    Seems like a bad investment buying a high Class if it makes no difference.
  3. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2007
    New Zealand
    SD Classes are based on the read/write speed - so a class 10 can definitely read/write at at least 10MBps.
    A Wii DVD runs at 6x speed, which adds up to just under 8MBps.
    So, for ideal performance, you want AT LEAST a card that can attain a read/write of 8MBps (read is the important bit, if you don't mind waiting).
    Anything more CAN increase loading speeds, but I have no idea by how much.
    All I know is my USB Drive can do 30-36MBps, which equates to about a 27x read speed.
    So you can work out the performance gains from there, and choose how much you're willing to spend.
  4. The Jackal

The Jackal Newbie

So basically just the loadscreens are affected? I can probably live with that [​IMG]

My biggest concern would be if games are affected performance wise; say, a game that runs with an
    engine that streams the gameplay, potential freezes or choppy FMV-sequences?
  5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    It only is an issue with games that are a D-9 disc game rips where the speed of the chip becomes the important factor, like super smash bro. brawl. Nearly all D-5 discs sized game rips play reasonally well with any Class 4 or higher SDHC.

I use a PQI 16GB class 6:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
  6. The Jackal

The Jackal Newbie

What do you mean by issue, in what way are dual-layer-games affected? Not playable?