OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Hey

I had some DRE problems with my wiikey modded Wii. I figured it may be the TDK DVD+R, and just bought some Verbatim DVD-R. I only burned Metroid Prime 3 on it and I am not getting DREs anymore but some slow/freeze problems :

First, when I shoot at a door,I sometimes have to wait 15 seconds for it to open. I though it may be normal, even with the original, that the game doesn't open the door because it is loading the level (it doent even freeze, the door just wont open) but I didnt read about it anywhere else... Are you having this problem too ?

And I have another problem, this one I'm sure it isnt normal ^^'. When I am playing for some hours, the Wii DVD drive start to make looder loadings sounds and when I scan something at this point (scan visor), the game totally freeze for some seconds before the scan appear.

So, from what can these problems come from ? If it's a bad modchip install, what is bad with the install ? Because the wires are obviously soldered, or it wouldn't work at all... I guess. Note that I modded it myself, and I'm not a big soldering fan.
tongue.gif

Edit : Games burned at 4x BTW.

domislong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of the problems you listed occurred for me, but to a lesser extent.

Try burning the disc at its max speed, hopefully that should make it more playable.

DiNo29

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I already tried burning at max speed on the TDK and I had even more DREs.
For the read speed, I'm quite sure I set it to the max with the config disk, but I'd have to check...

Any other idea ?

Edit : To the first 2 repliers, did you played metroid and if so, did you experienced the slow opening doors ?

neoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does the mod have any effect on this?

Because I got 2 wii's modded.
One loads quickly and quietly (The game appears in the channel/box thingy almost right away)
The other loads slowly and is kinda loud (The game takes 45 seconds to appear in the channel/box thingy)

Settings and firmware for both wiis are the same.

Vidnez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burn the games on Verbatim -R at 8x and set the read speed to 6x.

I burned all my games on Verbatim -R at 4x and the read speed set to 3x with no problems. Recently I changed the read speed to 6x and ALL my games have slow/freeze problems. I decide to re-burn some games at 8x and now they are working perfect on both read speed 3x and 6x.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey dino29, it seems that the d2a systems have been getting laser failure pretty quickly
which actually i guess that could explain your long load times, possibly. the laswer is strugling to read the disc.
does it make a lot of noise when this happens?

if you google wii laser lens rplacement you should be able to find them for sale around $40usd and some tutorials on how to put them in.
hopefully if you try this it fixes your problem!

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my Wii doesn't make noise at least I never notice it. It will however take backups about 20-30 seconds to show up in the menu. The games play fine, and I barely ever get DRE's (times I did were because of bad burns, which was like 2 times). I don't remember what chipset mine was but according to the Nintendo-Scene wii serial tracker, mine is listed as DMS chipset.

So really, from the standpoint of a backup taking some time to load in the menu, I would imagine that should be expected becuase IT IS a "backup", my originals load like almost instantly.

The point I'm trying to get across is that, the menu loading you shouldn't worry too much about, as for Metroid Prime 3 the game is just like that with the doors, even originals are reported to have long load times between levels.

It might be that your Wii is getting hot, have you felt it getting very warm after long operating periods? Its not uncommon for a few Wii's to be hot. Mine isn't hot, but 2 of my friends their Wii's can get pretty warm.

DiNo29

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Well, I didnt complain about the Menu and if the door problem is normal, I think that it isn't a big issue. The other problem, visor scan lag, only occurs after a few hours of playing so it must be the heat.

Cool, seems like no big deal finally
biggrin.gif

I'll burn my DREing games on verbatim too and it should be ok.
smile.gif

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I didnt complain about the Menu and if the door problem is normal, I think that it isn't a big issue. The other problem, visor scan lag, only occurs after a few hours of playing so it must be the heat.

Cool, seems like no big deal finally
biggrin.gif

I'll burn my DREing games on verbatim too and it should be ok.
smile.gif

Also, since you have an older Wii, like mine, keep your Standby off for WiiConnect24. Reason being is that I read how the heat produced can cause your GPU to damage. Also, because on standby, it's still "On" but the fan isn't, so you'll feel significant heat, even after you haven't turned on your Wii.

I used to get DRE's and slowdown a lot but burning at 8X on my TDK DVD-R and turning off the standby, things started working much much better

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you guys have burners that can do pi/pif testing, you could find out how your media is faring and what speeds you should be burning at to get good results.

for instance, i've found that with my ridata ritek f16 dvd+r's, which are rated for 16x, I get best results if I burn at 8x (and possibly 12x). although 16x does work, it registers more pie/pif when i scan it, so if the game were to be problematic with slowdowns, that burn would definitely have issues. but it's only carnival games, which i don't think is too intense. but if a problem arises, i'm pretty sure a reburn at 8-12x would be good.

that said, unless you have a really good burner / media, 16x discs should probably be burned at 8x or maybe 12x.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg