OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First of all, here is the [obligatory] disclaimer:
ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. WHILE THIS APPLICATION IS DESIGNED TO BE SAFE, PLEASE AT LEAST DO RESEARCH BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THIS.

This is a tutorial to install WiiGator's Launcher.

Topics discussed:
- Brief FAQ
- Tutorial: WiiGator cMIOS
- More FAQ

Brief FAQ

What is this application?
This application, GameCube Backup Launcher .1 Theta, is a program designed to launch backup GameCube games on your Wii without the need of a modchip.

What do I need?
A hombrew-ready Wii. For a helpful start, try here- The Homebrew Starter Guide.

Is there anything else that you reccomend having?
Absolutely! I want this process to be as safe as possible, for everybody.
First of all, I highly reccomend SoftMii and PreLoader. The application of this to the Backup Launcher will be discussed in the comments section, but Preloader and the Starfall Hacks will help solidify your ability to semi-brick-proof your precious Nintendo.

Alright, but I already have Starfall installed.
Well, that's no problem- follow this guide to get onto a virgin 3.2 U firmware!

Aw, I'm on 3.3...
dry.gif

Well, that's no problem either- try the same guide from three posts above!

And what about 3.4?
Follow the same process, but Google Twilight Hack beta 02.

So, where can I find out how to install SoftMii?
Right Here! Experienced Tempers should know where to find the download link.

Thanks!
You're Welcome!

Tutorial: WiiGator cMIOS
First of all: You can't have a WiiGator tutorial without links!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N6946KPF - cMIOS Package
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4757 - A Gracious GBATemp Download Hosting!

First, extract the .rar file to the location of your choosing. (I use WinRar).
Then, open the gcbackup file you get (I am not sure what opens this, my computer just does).
You will get a gcbackup0.1 folder.
Open it.
IGNORE ALL THE FILES EXCEPT FOR THE TGZ FOLDER (It may be in WinRar folder-format, aka a zipped folder).
Open this file.
Open the folder gcbackup0.1_theta.
Inside, you will find two folders:
- miospatcher
- rungcbackup
Copy BOTH of these folders to the apps folder in your SD Card.
The next steps will take place on your Wii.
Boot up the Homebrew Channel.
If you do NOT have the latest cIOS 36 (or IOS 249), you NEED to install it.
After this is done, boot up MIOS Patcher. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR GAMECUBE CONTROLLER PLUGGED IN BEFORE YOU BOOT UP.
****You need Internet Connection here. Scroll down to More FAQ if you do not****
When the program boots up, press X on the GameCube controller once. Watch the green text on the screen, it should change to be longer.
When you have done this, press A and let the install process go.
That's it! Boot up Run GC Backups in the Homebrew Channel and play your backups!

More FAQ
There is some small text in the bottom of the screen when I boot the Backup Launcher. What does this mean?
This lets you change the video mode.
Pressing buttons on the GC controller changes the video output mode.
X = PAL
L = PAL60
Y = NTSC
B = 480p
A = AutoDetect
B= Patched mIOS (Generally works well for most)
START = Reloader (slow) (Solves issues for some people).
Be sure to try every option before reporting that a game is not working.

I have a MultiGame disc- How do I change the game?
Press left/right on the d-pad.

How does SoftMii help me here?
It will let you boot the GameCube games from the disc channel- cleaner, cooler, easier, and that much closer to a modchip.

[Name of Game] does not work!
Compatibility List. Always check here to see how people get games working, which games are working, and which games aren't working.

The sound plays but the video does not... what am I doing wrong?
Probably nothing. It could be a bad burn, but this is most likely a regional error. Again, check the compatibility list. The most common example I've heard of is mismatching regions with Luigi's Mansion.

My game won't save/load!
Nobody knows what causes this. It is reccomended to have different memory cards for different regions (they're cheap now anyways, just bought one for ten dollars).

I don't have internet!
You will need RVL-mios-v8.wad. Put it in the root of your SD card before you install.

Happy Hacking!
-SFenton

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure this is really even necessary, the package should have provided the correct steps to almost be noob proof.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
geishroy said:
not sure this is really even necessary, the package should have provided the correct steps to almost be noob proof.

The problem is that many, many users just download the packaged and expect it to magically do it all by itself. At least, with a guide, no we can point to somewhere when they ask "I've downloaded the GC launcher, nao wut?".

Madagasca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
great tutorial

whilst i know what i'm doing the files certainly did confuse me until i read this - what a n00b!!!

lol

apart from this - you highly recommend SoftMii and Preloader. Why not Gamma? i know it's not got all the other stuff like starfall included in the softmod but you can semi-brick proof your wii by adding the software.

Just a thought as most users probably will throw that question at you - why is gamma not recommended?

cheers

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Madagasca said:
great tutorial

whilst i know what i'm doing the files certainly did confuse me until i read this - what a n00b!!!

lol

apart from this - you highly recommend SoftMii and Preloader. Why not Gamma? i know it's not got all the other stuff like starfall included in the softmod but you can semi-brick proof your wii by adding the software.

Just a thought as most users probably will throw that question at you - why is gamma not recommended?

cheers

While Gamma certainly is an excellent booter, there are several reasons I prefer SoftMii/Preloader:
1) Extra Brick Protection with Preloader
2) Permanent Disc Channel Booting
3) Many games that could not be run with Gamma (had to be patched) work patchless with SoftMii.
4) It will be included in CSSM, so people will be exposed to it there anyways.

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SFenton said:
Alright, but I already have Starfall installed.
Well, that's no problem- follow this guide to get onto a virgin 3.2 U firmware!

Great tutorial, but could you please fix the link ? It seems to be broken.

games2007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you even need a tutorial for this? It's so simple. He told us exactly what to do. He told us to press X, then A at the installation, let it install, run the damn launcher. Then as soon as you choose the Automatic Region Detection button at the gamecube loader (A button), hold B for about 10 seconds, let go, your game loads. Jesus >_>

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
games2007 said:
Why do you even need a tutorial for this? It's so simple. He told us exactly what to do. He told us to press X, then A at the installation, let it install, run the damn launcher. Then as soon as you choose the Automatic Region Detection button at the gamecube loader (A button), hold B for about 10 seconds, let go, your game loads. Jesus >_>
Yes, I know, but having less threads created about it so that more important questions and topics can get through is much better than the cluttered mess we have now.

bin01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
"follow this guide to get onto a virgin 3.2 U firmware!">>>"Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken."

kpoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get Hombrew to recognize the miospatcher and the rungcbackup folders. I know I have the latest cIOS 36 (or IOS 249) installed. What could be the problem? Thanks.

**UPDATE: Nevermind, found the correct files. Now I can't get my GC Pikmin to boot up with the GC Loader. Just get a frozen green screen. Help?

TwilightFireFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently trying to run a PAL RE Code Veronica on a NTSC Wii with this launcher and I end up with a green screen. When I try Pal I hear the disc reading as if it were working but my Samsung Series 5 lcd won't display anything. Is there a way I can force NTSC?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
TwilightFireFox said:
I am currently trying to run a PAL RE Code Veronica on a NTSC Wii with this launcher and I end up with a green screen. When I try Pal I hear the disc reading as if it were working but my Samsung Series 5 lcd won't display anything. Is there a way I can force NTSC?
Go in the settings of the launcher and put FORCE NTSC to ON

TwilightFireFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gcloader doesn't have that option I don't think. I looked and looked. Waninkoko Wii backup Gamma launcher does though for Wii games and it works great. I'm using the gclauncher for Gamecube games on this thread. If theres a newer one that forces NTSC for Gamecube backups please let me know. Thanks.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TwilightFireFox said:
The gcloader doesn't have that option I don't think. I looked and looked. Waninkoko Wii backup Gamma launcher does though for Wii games and it works great. I'm using the gclauncher for Gamecube games on this thread. If theres a newer one that forces NTSC for Gamecube backups please let me know. Thanks.

here is some small text in the bottom of the screen when I boot the Backup Launcher. What does this mean?
This lets you change the video mode.
Pressing buttons on the GC controller changes the video output mode.
X = PAL
L = PAL60
Y = NTSC
B = 480p
A = AutoDetect
B= Patched mIOS (Generally works well for most)
START = Reloader (slow) (Solves issues for some people).

even the guide tells you what button to press :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr