Homebrew WiiFlow NES Emulator issues

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded my WII this weekend - backups from USB hard drive for WII run, GameCube backups run from USB hard drive as well with MiosDios. The only thing I'm having an issue with is getting NES/SNES/Genesis emulation working under WiiFlow.

WiiFlow sees the roms after I edit the fceugx ini file. I point it to partition 3 on USB (which is FAT32) - and it sees the ROMS (stored root on USB3 as fceugx/roms) - but when I launch the game from wiiflow - the screen goes black and then a moment later wiiflow is booting back up.

That being said - I tried putting the roms on the SD card and they ran perfectly...but I want them on the HDD because of size. What I do notice is that when I try to run the game, the emulator creates the folder structure on the SD card that looks like this - fceugx/roms fceugx/saves and settings_fceugx.xml - so it looks like even thought everything is pointed to the usb3:/ partition in any settings I can find - it is still trying to load the rom from the sd card.

I am TOTALLY puzzled by this - as a seasoned IT veteran, I thought I could handle this, but apparently not - lol

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
I modded my WII this weekend - backups from USB hard drive for WII run, GameCube backups run from USB hard drive as well with MiosDios. The only thing I'm having an issue with is getting NES/SNES/Genesis emulation working under WiiFlow.

WiiFlow sees the roms after I edit the fceugx ini file. I point it to partition 3 on USB (which is FAT32) - and it sees the ROMS (stored root on USB3 as fceugx/roms) - but when I launch the game from wiiflow - the screen goes black and then a moment later wiiflow is booting back up.

That being said - I tried putting the roms on the SD card and they ran perfectly...but I want them on the HDD because of size. What I do notice is that when I try to run the game, the emulator creates the folder structure on the SD card that looks like this - fceugx/roms fceugx/saves and settings_fceugx.xml - so it looks like even thought everything is pointed to the usb3:/ partition in any settings I can find - it is still trying to load the rom from the sd card.

I am TOTALLY puzzled by this - as a seasoned IT veteran, I thought I could handle this, but apparently not - lol

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Why don't you use FCE Ultra GX as a different program, i don't know if WiiFlow has an internal emulator inside on it, but i recommend you better something apart, especially because it works better like that, Try that option or RetroArch, i heard is having good eyes in the scene lastly.

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you use FCE Ultra GX as a different program, i don't know if WiiFlow has an internal emulator inside on it, but i recommend you better something apart, especially because it works better like that, Try that option or RetroArch, i heard is having good eyes in the scene lastly.

Thanks Demifiend - I did give that a shot as well - I installed FCE Ultra GX by itself (I had the same thoughts as you - won't work under wiiflow - don't care - I'll use it standalone right...) but it doesn't work either. It just starts up then comes back to the system screen where you can choose the channels etc. I tried unplugging my gc controller and hard drive to make sure oneo f the peripherals wasn;'t messing it up - but it just starts, goes to black screen and then back to system menu. No luck...

I'm wide open to ideas - the main reason I modded my Wii was for emulation. I did try retroarch, but I just cannot stand the menus/gui. It doesn't have to be 'pretty' but RA just did not appeal to me. Plus it wouldn't read any partition on my HDD other than 1 (I have 3...) - so I didn't like the idea of having to move data around just for it to partition 1.

If RA is my only choice, that's fine, but I was hoping something with a nice gui my kids could use etc. Any other thoughts/help much appreciated!

Thanks!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Neither wiiflow or the standalone emulators will read from a 3rd partition - I'm surprised it saw the files actually! Partition 1 only (someone feel free to correct me of course)
Why not use a program like easeus partition master - good for changing partition sizes without having to delete anything, and you could quite easily change the FAT32 partition to 1st, make larger etc too....?

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither wiiflow or the standalone emulators will read from a 3rd partition - I'm surprised it saw the files actually! Partition 1 only (someone feel free to correct me of course)
Why not use a program like easeus partition master - good for changing partition sizes without having to delete anything, and you could quite easily change the FAT32 partition to 1st, make larger etc too....?

Thanks MightyMuffy! I tried to find that info but couldn't confirm over the weekend. It for sure saw the files after I modified the fceugx .ini file - but launching wasn't going to happen. I was going to try putting the roms on partition 1, but didn't get a chance, I'll try it tonight and report back if that cleared up the issue.

Thanks for the clue!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've loaded Wii games from the second partition of my external HDD many times, as the first partition is a windows 7 boot partition left over from when it was in my laptop. Never had any problems with it in WiiFlow or USB Loader GX.
Can't speak for the emulators of course, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work.
He can't even launch the emulator from HBC which points at there being another problem.

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've loaded Wii games from the second partition of my external HDD many times, as the first partition is a windows 7 boot partition left over from when it was in my laptop. Never had any problems with it in WiiFlow or USB Loader GX.
Can't speak for the emulators of course, but I see no reason why they wouldn't work.
He can't even launch the emulator from HBC which points at there being another problem.

That's the one thing that had me the most puzzled, why the emulator channel wouldn't launch - I installed it from the homebrew browser app - and then I installed the channel - but it certainly doesn't start up - I was also considering reinstalling it by downloaing it instead of using the homebrew browser.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's the one thing that had me the most puzzled, why the emulator channel wouldn't launch - I installed it from the homebrew browser app - and then I installed the channel - but it certainly doesn't start up - I was also considering reinstalling it by downloaing it instead of using the homebrew browser.
Oh, I see. So you didn't try launching it directly from HBC?

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see. So you didn't try launching it directly from HBC?

The HBC doesn't show it as able to launch but does show the channel installer 'I think' - been a long weekend...I'll have to recheck that - but launching it from the main system channels would cause the above behavior when launching fceugx - I just don't think the HBC showed a way to launch it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The HBC doesn't show it as able to launch but does show the channel installer 'I think' - been a long weekend...I'll have to recheck that - but launching it from the main system channels would cause the above behavior when launching fceugx - I just don't think the HBC showed a way to launch it.
If it doesn't show up in HBC, it's not installed correctly, and the forwarder channel certainly won't be able to launch it.
It also won't launch from the forwarder channel if it's not in the folder the channel expects it to be in.
So the first thing to do is to make sure it works from HBC before you try making it work from a forwarder channel.
That is unless the channel is NOT a forwarder channel, and actually has the emulator embedded in it, but most channels don't work like this anymore, because it makes it much harder to update the homebrew.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Really? Well you learn something new every day! I stand corrected then - the 1st partition is favourable though, maybe especially with emulators?
As for using FCEUGX, doesn't that use IOS58? If he's updated using a recent tutorial it might not have added this (OP: it's an older method) Clearly I'm getting a bit old and rusty with my Wii help these days, but it might be the answer...;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Really? Well you learn something new every day! I stand corrected then - the 1st partition is favourable though, maybe especially with emulators?
As for using FCEUGX, doesn't that use IOS58? If he's updated using a recent tutorial it might not have added this (OP: it's an older method) Clearly I'm getting a bit old and rusty with my Wii help these days, but it might be the answer...;)
When ran from HBC it should use whatever IOS HBC uses, when ran from the channel it will use the IOS set by the channel. So yeah it might be trying to use IOS58, and with it not being there, it fails, but I think that would just cause a black screen, not a soft reset.
It's more likely the channel is trying to find the emulator in the apps folder, and failing that, returns to the loader.

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again - I'll take another stab at installing it and see if the problem goes away...I'll report back with findings as soon as I have a chance to test.

Thank you very much for the help!

Vexter0944

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to report back as promised. Thanks for the help - you guys hit it on the head. The roms HAVE to be on partition 1. Once I moved them over - everything kicked in perfectly. Also I found my other issue with fxecugx as far as the channel not working - yeah - it helps when you install fceuxgx - I only had installed the channel, not the app. Oops on me for being in a hurry on that one.

So at this point - good to go!

Thanks for the great help - it is MUCH appreciated!!

Reactions: mightymuffy

Kooked

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I created an account just to post saying this thread solved my problem I was working on the last 6 hours. FBEUGX would not load from USB drive with the error message, "Usb drive not found". Just above Vexter saying he had success with making the USB drive partition 1 hit the nail on the head. I setup a new partition on my USB stick as Primary instead of Logical when formatting it. That alone let the roms start showing up. =D Thx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)