Hacking WiiFlow Lite

fledge68

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that's interesting!
I'm not sure I understand how to use this though. Seems to be a bunch of ini files, and the Readme implies it does something else (plugin select menu can be used like source menu?).
put the ini files in wiiflow/plugins folder then in wiiflow lite go to plugin view and then goto the home menu and choose select plugins which will take you to the select plugin menu. put a check mark in all that wish to use. and go back. but for you there is no homebrew.ini plugin. maybe one can be made and added to wiiflow lite code.

as for this thread being stickied. cool, i'm honored but it doesn't have to be. i don't plan on releasing a lot of new revisions of wiiflow lite (but one is coming soon). like cyan i don't have a lot of free time. and lets face it. wii homebrew is pretty much dead. there's the wii u and switch now.

Reactions: kaisersozeh

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
put the ini files in wiiflow/plugins folder then in wiiflow lite go to plugin view and then goto the home menu and choose select plugins which will take you to the select plugin menu. put a check mark in all that wish to use. and go back. but for you there is no homebrew.ini plugin. maybe one can be made and added to wiiflow lite code.
Ah, cool thanks! Having a homebrew ini would be great, but for the sake of my planned use, I could just make NAND channel forwarders for the few apps I want like I currently have. Then it'll show up. Having an official homebrew ini would make it easier to add/manage what's in there though, and especially if other people end up wanting to do what I'm doing (customizing the UI for appliance-style specific use installation).

as for this thread being stickied. cool, i'm honored but it doesn't have to be. i don't plan on releasing a lot of new revisions of wiiflow lite (but one is coming soon). like cyan i don't have a lot of free time. and lets face it. wii homebrew is pretty much dead. there's the wii u and switch now.

Its definitely not what it was a few years ago, but thankfully I wouldn't consider it dead yet! I honestly didn't think I'd find as much help for my project as I already have, with the U and switch out already for a while. And lately I've been seeing new youtube videos of projects to portabilizing the hardware, so there is definitely still interest out there in the classic Wii, and for getting the most out of the units. For me, the price they go for used means it was a better option than building a Raspberry Pi entertainment system for my minivan. I've already got a few random people stumbling onto posts about it asking me to document what I did so they could do similar. Definitely not dead quite yet!

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have to say, people seem to prefer USBLoader forwii stuff, but wiiflow is an absolute winner for large coverflows - the best future, to my mind, is as a coverbrowser for emulator games and media - that seems to be how people are using it. Theres definitely room for integration with wiimc+ and wiixplorer.
As for the wii being dead- its a dirt cheap, sophisticated mini pc. I use one - i got for £5 because the dvd drive doesnt work -as a file server - it runs on about 13watts, or something!?! I love 'em.

Last edited by kaisersozeh,

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to say, people seem to prefer USBLoader forwii stuff, but wiiflow is an absolute winner for large coverflows - the best future, to my mind, is as a coverbrowser for emulator games and media - that seems to be how people are using it. Theres definately room for integration with wiimc+ and wiixplorer.
As for the wii being dead- its a dirt cheap, sophisticated mini pc. I use one - i got for £5 because the dvd drive doesnt work -as a file server - it runs on about 13watts, or something!?! I love 'em.

EXACTLY! I didn't realize what a great alternative to a Raspberry Pi they are, but the truth is unless you need HD resolution for something, they are a very cost effective alternative. Especially if your project would benefit from a wireless interface.

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Also, the wiiU - I don't own one - but people are certainly using wiiflow via their wiiU - a lot of homebrew is just wii stuff used under vWii, from what I can gather. There were a lot of wiis sold, more than anything else ever, they're going to be around for years.

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest hurdle has been how much the UI relies on that blasted sensor bar and hand pointer to do most things. Its inefficient on anything outside of a living room couch/TV console setup. In a moving vehicle, for example, the challenge of having a sensor bar that has good line-of-sight for every passenger as well as having to hold the remote steady on bumpy roads and turns to click the area you want... it really made me realize how much I just want to use the D-pad and A to navigate.
I know, you can use a classic controller or nunchuck to move the hand around, but why? That's why the sudden interest in wiiflow and WFL. It can be used to create a very simple and clean UI that one might expect out of an appliance versus a computer desktop. No pointing and clicking, just D-pad and A-button, quick and sweet!

Its refreshing to find other people who appreciate the potential the way I do- I can't even tell you how many forums/threads/etc couldn't understand what I was trying to do. "Whats the point of getting around without a sensor bar if you need the sensor bar to play games?" Because not everything I intend to do is a game. Also, not every game needs a sensor bar. :)

...but I digress. And apologize. I'm going waaay off topic now! LOL

Last edited by dishe,

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@Tetsuo Shima is a guy who boots straight into wiiflow - he might have a few thoughts - you're using it as an entertainment system in a car?
That is a fantastische idea, sir. I applaud you!

There are some plugins in the smallflow folder in abz's pack. For turning it off and restarting and the like, few other utility things - wiixplorer?!?

EDIT - how are you powering it, what is the video out going into?

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tetsuo Shima is a guy who boots straight into wiiflow - he might have a few thoughts - you're using it as an entertainment system in a car?
That is a fantastische idea, sir. I applaud you!
Thanks! I was weighing all sorts of other options first, then eventually realized this was a far better one for a carputer entertainment system. Of course I've been setting it to boot into wiiflow. That's the easy part. Setting it up so that everything was button-friendly without any pointing required was the challenge. As of now I've got it down to two menus, one that I called "Main Menu", which is the renamed NAND source with apps like VC games and WiiMC, and the other is Wii games. The B-button swaps between the two, and everything is launched with A. Ideally it shouldn't matter if they want to play Super Bomberman or Mario Kart Wii, I think everything should be in the same menu. That's how I ended up here asking about features. :)

EDIT - how are you powering it, what is the video out going into?
Honda Odyssey rear entertainment system screen. Also a secondary screen I installed up front, because while the driver should keep their eyes on the road, there's no reason the front passenger has to miss out! I have sort of plastic shelf I made which fits under the third row of seats and contains the wii, power supply, excess cable slack (tied up to keep it tidy), and a video amplifier because initially the screens got darker when they were both on versus one or the other (signal out of the wii apparently wasn't strong enough to power two displays with a simple Y-splitter). I know the Wii could be powered off 12v, as I think that's actually the voltage going in from the power supply, and the video amp is too, but the minivan has a built-in 110V 100Watt load inverter, so it was just a lot neater to have a standard household extension cord that could be easily unplugged and the entire system removed if we fold the seats down to haul cargo. I have a lot more info and even some pictures here:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...ent-mod-res-media-games-secondary-screen.html

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks! I was weighing all sorts of other options first, then eventually realized this was a far better one for a carputer entertainment system. Of course I've been setting it to boot into wiiflow. That's the easy part. Setting it up so that everything was button-friendly without any pointing required was the challenge. As of now I've got it down to two menus, one that I called "Main Menu", which is the renamed NAND source with apps like VC games and WiiMC, and the other is Wii games. The B-button swaps between the two, and everything is launched with A. Ideally it shouldn't matter if they want to play Super Bomberman or Mario Kart Wii, I think everything should be in the same menu. That's how I ended up here asking about features. :)

Honda Odyssey rear entertainment system screen. Also a secondary screen I installed up front, because while the driver should keep their eyes on the road, there's no reason the front passenger has to miss out! I have sort of plastic shelf I made which fits under the third row of seats and contains the wii, power supply, excess cable slack (tied up to keep it tidy), and a video amplifier because initially the screens got darker when they were both on versus one or the other (signal out of the wii apparently wasn't strong enough to power two displays with a simple Y-splitter). I know the Wii could be powered off 12v, as I think that's actually the voltage going in from the power supply, and the video amp is too, but the minivan has a built-in 110V 100Watt load inverter, so it was just a lot neater to have a standard household extension cord that could be easily unplugged and the entire system removed if we fold the seats down to haul cargo. I have a lot more info and even some pictures here:
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/11-au...ent-mod-res-media-games-secondary-screen.html
That's some great info - thanks - put on a thread somewhere here, theres a few hardware things.
I see you use the sourceflow - good call - me too! hate the wii icon tho - I have my own somewhere....

EDIT:Show us the one you made!

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's some great info - thanks - put on a thread somewhere here, theres a few hardware things.
I see you use the sourceflow - good call - me too! hate the wii icon tho - I have my own somewhere....
Wii icon- you mean the cover for the Wii source? I'm indifferent to that one, it sort of gets the point across and makes sense. The NAND icon I hated, and since I was renaming NAND to "main menu", I made my own cover icon for that. I like that it looks sort of like an app drawer icon on Android, and happens to be the icon Nintendo uses for their channel menu.
If you have a better graphic for Wii, I'm all for it. However, ideally, I shouldn't need source flow at all if I can combine the menus. I'd like everyone on one flow so it is simple and easy to understand. I'm actually thinking what would be cool is if all games were in one menu, and if anything, apps like WiiMC would be in another. But I don't have a good way to make that happen, so combining them into one is the way I'll go.

I was actually thinking, what might be cool is to have a menu for games (all of them), and then another for movies/videos, which could be switched with source flow. But I don't use the video player plugin for WiiFlow because I actually find WiiMC to be a much better and more reliable media player than Mplayer. As far as I can tell, there's no WiiMC plugin. I also like the way WiiMC keeps track of progress when you exit so that the movie can resume playback next time. And in order to really benefit from Wiiflow's UI, I'd have to also make a cover graphic for each video file. That's annoying when I quickly load up the USB drive with content before a trip. So I just have WiiMC's UI for choosing what video to watch. I think it might be silly to have WiiMC on its own source flow, even if it were somehow possible to do, as I'd then need to launch the app after switching the source, and THEN still select which video to play. Its just less things to click if its in the same menu as all the games I guess.
Anyway, yeah, I should make its own thread, I feel like I'm starting to hijack this one!

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I meant the small flow - just think it's tighter. Nicer. Tetsuo Shima (forum crush ;) ) has an excellent set of source menu icons for the 2D source menu. The small cover flow doesn't display transparencies, even with the boxes turned off (my preference) , otherwise I'd use his set. There's a YouTube link somewhere.......

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm sorry move only just seen your post about combining sources. You edit the source menu ini, found in the source menu folder in your wiiflow folder in the root of your device. you can add multiple plugins to one button/cover by separating the magic numbers with a comma. You can find the magic number in the ini file of the plugin you want to add. These ini files are in device/wiiflow/plugins.
The source menu ini also points to the image you want to use for the plugin.
You can make up plugins that point to play lists, for example... I'm just learning about them now. But it's surprisingly sophisticated

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just discovered that combining all sources is one of the cool feature added to Wiiflow Lite. You have to copy the 'extra plugins' from https://sourceforge.net/projects/wiiflow-lite/files/plugins/ in the WiiFlow/plugins folder.

HOLY COW THAT WAS REMARKABLY EASY! Its all on one flow now! So cool!

The only thing I still wish I could still do, now that I'm seeing this, is pick certain things to be in additional flows, separated by how I deem them and not by what they are. For example all games, whether they are wii backup ISOs, VCs in NAND, or emulators in one flow. Then wiimc, and maybe even certain disc ISOs like Wii fit (which is being used in my house to track diet progress, not as a game) in a different "non game" one. Like, I wish we could set a category and then have alternate flows based on that instead of sources. But now I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Being able to get them all together is a huge step for me and something I didn't think would be this simple. Thank you!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm sorry move only just seen your post about combining sources. You edit the source menu ini, found in the source menu folder in your wiiflow folder in the root of your device. you can add multiple plugins to one button/cover by separating the magic numbers with a comma. You can find the magic number in the ini file of the plugin you want to add. These ini files are in device/wiiflow/plugins.
The source menu ini also points to the image you want to use for the plugin.
You can make up plugins that point to play lists, for example... I'm just learning about them now. But it's surprisingly sophisticated
That doesn't work. I tried that first. There's also a way to make a source called "all plugins" so you don't even need to deal with magic #, but Wii and channel titles (NAND) aren't considered plugins so that was pointless. That is, until the extra plugin inis were pointed out above that MAKE them considered plugins. That's the secret sauce I was missing.

Last edited by dishe,

kaisersozeh

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
For fear of hijacking the thread,
it didn't work how?
I've used this in the past and I might need to include instructions on doing it in a help file I'm writing. What didn't happen that you wanted to happen?

dishe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For fear of hijacking the thread,
it didn't work how?
I've used this in the past and I might need to include instructions on doing it in a help file I'm writing. What didn't happen that you wanted to happen?

If you tried it, you'd see. Only plugins have magic numbers. Sources like homebrew, wii and nand aren't "plugins", they are simply sources that can be switched to and from. Notice that if you put them on your source menu, there is no magic number for those entries. The default wiiflow and Lite don't have a way to make them show up with any other source or plugin. Only plugins can be combined, separated, or shown all by simply using the All Plugins source. But things that aren't plugins aren't part of that. :)

I was going to resort to using ISO forwarders to combine them into my Wii backup flo, until I was given some advice to try some plugins that can sort of spoof the sources and bring them in. Then it turns out WiiFlow Lite actually has some additional .ini files to officially make them act like plugins, and that's the secret ingredient to make this work that I've been trying to figure out for weeks. I just tried it and it works. Scroll back, before we took over this conversation, all the info is there. I think we should take this to PMs before we go any further.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
HOLY COW THAT WAS REMARKABLY EASY! Its all on one flow now! So cool!

The only thing I still wish I could still do, now that I'm seeing this, is pick certain things to be in additional flows, separated by how I deem them and not by what they are. For example all games, whether they are wii backup ISOs, VCs in NAND, or emulators in one flow. Then wiimc, and maybe even certain disc ISOs like Wii fit (which is being used in my house to track diet progress, not as a game) in a different "non game" one. Like, I wish we could set a category and then have alternate flows based on that instead of sources. But now I'm getting too far ahead of myself. Being able to get them all together is a huge step for me and something I didn't think would be this simple. Thank you!

You should be able to create a seperate source based on categories. See this example : https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-an-open-source-gui-usb-loader.204106/page-746#post-4920745

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1