THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just noticed that music is now in themes = wiiflow\themes\BlackWii\music

On R631 working mp3 & ogg :)

@ FIX94 - Any idea bout Movies subfolders not showing?

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been since the 30th, so I'll bump my questions in case someone who knows definitively can answer (those being recommended to me are [member='overjoy'] and [member='fix94']).

1) Old recommended setup was partition 1 = emunand. Partition 2 = wiiflow. Since I'm going to keep my setup fully fat32, do they still need to be split or is that no longer the recommended setup, especially with the advent of DM requiring GameCube games to be located on the first partition?

2) What is now a recommended setup, neek2o or wiiflow's built in emunand? 2a) Why? 2b) Is there (or is there planned) a chart of games that tells what games do/don't work with emunand and what games need special settings and what those settings are?

Those are my main questions, I do have a few others that are less earth shaking however, and my be the result of having a blonde sitting behind the keyboard.

a) Is there any known difficulties with using a classic controller from emunand? Trying to launch Paper Mario VC and it freezes on the classic controller page, meaning either that or something is wrong with my system and that's where it wants to freeze.

b) If a new cIOS comes out, do I need to install it on my Wii, my emunand, or both?

c) If I have no need for the region switch aspect of emunand, should I just keep it set to game save for the games? c1) What benefit is there from using full emulation over game saves?

d) In emunand, what is the difference between full and partial emulation? If I had to guess, partial would keep the programs on the HDD and launch using IOSes from the Wii while full would use IOSes from the HDD. d1) What's the benefit for the game player from either one?

e) Emunand + music DLC. I'd like to keep the music for games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band on the emunand but when I try to download it tells me to launch the shop channel first. I do that (successfully from emunand) but when I go back to the game I get told again. Is this me or does it not work the way I want?

For most of these questions I've tried searching already, and a few I've had for a long time without finding an answer (again I may have just zoned right past it), but they are still there for me. Thanks for your time in reading this, and thanks to all the devs who have put in the long hours (days, weeks, months etc) creating this amazing program.

edit: added question e)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been since the 30th, so I'll bump my questions in case someone who knows definitively can answer (those being recommended to me are [member='overjoy'] and [member='fix94']).

1) Old recommended setup was partition 1 = emunand. Partition 2 = wiiflow. Since I'm going to keep my setup fully fat32, do they still need to be split or is that no longer the recommended setup, especially with the advent of DM requiring GameCube games to be located on the first partition?

I use full fat32 with 32k cluster size with no problem. In the future OverjoY is planning on making neek2o able to launch wii games from ntfs just to let you know. but nothing official.

2) What is now a recommended setup, neek2o or wiiflow's built in emunand? 2a) Why? 2b) Is there (or is there planned) a chart of games that tells what games do/don't work with emunand and what games need special settings and what those settings are?

neek2o can play all ww/vc and wiiflow can't play certain vc games because they don't work with d2x cios. With the new upcoming neek2o wiiflow should be able to launch those games with an gamesetting option set to use neek. But not everyone is able to get this to work. By the way you can run wiiflow from withing neek2o but then emulator plugins don't work.

Those are my main questions, I do have a few others that are less earth shaking however, and my be the result of having a blonde sitting behind the keyboard.

a) Is there any known difficulties with using a classic controller from emunand? Trying to launch Paper Mario VC and it freezes on the classic controller page, meaning either that or something is wrong with my system and that's where it wants to freeze.
some n64 vc games freeze on the classic controller message because they don't work with d2x cios. If you can get neek2o working then use it to play those games.

b) If a new cIOS comes out, do I need to install it on my Wii, my emunand, or both?
I'm 90% sure you don't need a cios on an emunand

c) If I have no need for the region switch aspect of emunand, should I just keep it set to game save for the games? c1) What benefit is there from using full emulation over game saves?
full emulation is only when you have the mii's on your emunand. gamesave is when the gamesave is on emunand and the mii's are still on real nand.

d) In emunand, what is the difference between full and partial emulation? If I had to guess, partial would keep the programs on the HDD and launch using IOSes from the Wii while full would use IOSes from the HDD. d1) What's the benefit for the game player from either one?
Sorry, I'm not really sure on this one myself.
For most of these questions I've tried searching already, and a few I've had for a long time without finding an answer (again I may have just zoned right past it), but they are still there for me. Thanks for your time in reading this, and thanks to all the devs who have put in the long hours (days, weeks, months etc) creating this amazing program.

luck_gh0st

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmmm... Still no luck getting the scummvm covers to show.. just the question mark cover.. I don't understand?
Does anyone else have scummvm covers showing?

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I added some extra info on some answers to get a complete picture.

I use full fat32 with 32k cluster size with no problem. In the future OverjoY is planning on making neek2o able to launch wii games from ntfs just to let you know. but nothing official.
One full fat32 32k clustersize partition i would recommend, it's the best choice if you want to have everything running on hdd.
Many homebrew can only run on fat32, dm needs it, neek2o runs best on it and devolution can use it too.

neek2o can play all ww/vc and wiiflow can't play certain vc games because they don't work with d2x cios. With the new upcoming neek2o wiiflow should be able to launch those games with an gamesetting option set to use neek. But not everyone is able to get this to work. By the way you can run wiiflow from withing neek2o but then emulator plugins don't work.
One extra remark here, a wiiflow build nand works best with D2X cIOS v8 or higher. If you are going to use Neek2o, extract your nand with another tool or use modmii.

some n64 vc games freeze on the classic controller message because they don't work with d2x cios. If you can get neek2o working then use it to play those games.

Exactly, no cIOS needed, but savegame manager gx supposedly works better if you install waninkoko's rev14.

full emulation is only when you have the mii's on your emunand. gamesave is when the gamesave is on emunand and the mii's are still on real nand.

It's more or less the same as with anser c, partial means it's using settings from real nand for wiimotes, internet, etc.

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I added some extra info on some answers to get a complete picture.

One full fat32 32k clustersize partition i would recommend, it's the best choice if you want to have everything running on hdd.
Many homebrew can only run on fat32, dm needs it, neek2o runs best on it and devolution can use it too.
Hooray, question answered! I will work on converting to this setup.

One extra remark here, a wiiflow build nand works best with D2X cIOS v8 or higher. If you are going to use Neek2o, extract your nand or use modmii.
What about installing an earlier version of cIOS, before d2x, and set the problem games to launch using that? With the upcoming neek2o, would wiiflow not be running in that environment so it would only be pulled up when launching games set to use it? Finally, I was having issues getting the extract to work so I used bootmii to save the nand and nandextract to extract it for my emunand. Not sure if that would explain anything or not, but since I have saves on that now I'd rather not have to lose them, if that's an option.

Exactly, no cIOS needed, but savegame manager gx supposedly works better if you install waninkoko's rev14.
OK, so whenver a new things comes out (DM, cIOS, etc) install to the Wii and that's it? Cool.

It's more or less the same as with anser c, partial means it's using settings from real nand for wiimotes, internet, etc.
Then for c and d, a standard user probably just needs save game and partial?

e) Still no thoughts on that one?

Also, I figured I'd follow the same pattern and reply inline.
Thanks to both of you for your responses!

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about installing an earlier version of cIOS, before d2x, and set the problem games to launch using that?
The problem games work with cios38rev17 I believe. but I don't think it's possible to install that cios to use with wiiflow to run the problem games
With the upcoming neek2o, would wiiflow not be running in that environment so it would only be pulled up when launching games set to use it?
wiiflow would be running on it's own and would launch neek2o to run the game.
Finally, I was having issues getting the extract to work so I used bootmii to save the nand and nandextract to extract it for my emunand. Not sure if that would explain anything or not, but since I have saves on that now I'd rather not have to lose them, if that's an option.
I believe you can use savegame manager gx to copy the gamesaves from that nand backup to another but never tried it or used it. Maybe Etheboss knows more on this. For me I just put the two nands on my PC and copy the titles/00010000 and titles/00010004 folders from one to the other. They contain the gamesave data.
OK, so whenver a new things comes out (DM, cIOS, etc) install to the Wii and that's it? Cool.
If you use neek2o you should install DM on your emunand.
for wiiflow - yes

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Unfortunately no good. Tried my own r632, r634 and your r632 linked above. No music. Thanks for having a look into it!
You tried it with ogg as said?
Of course - always use ogg. Just saw macmanhigh mention music works from themes. Have not tried this. Always used wiiflow/music.
Unless others complain about ogg music not working, just hang off on spending too much time on this until I create another test ogg file(s) separately from my original ones, to thoroughly test this on my end first.
Thanks Fix.

BTW, great Q&A, JSchloegel, fledge68 & Etheboss. Some excellent info there.

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I hope this doesn't come across as just whining. I know this general subject has been beaten to death already but I have noticed something that could still be improved.

When I jump through the coverflow alphabetically (B + d-pad up/down) I usually don't let go of the B button until I get to the letter I want (E.G. just hold B and press up, up, up until I get there). I would expect that as soon as I hit d-pad up/down it would STOP the timer for the 3 seconds to enter the source menu but all it presently does is just RESET it so if I take more than 3 seconds between my d-pad up presses or d-pad down presses it jumps to the source menu. Considering that when there's a lot of titles with the same first letter it can take a second or two for it to scroll through them, that only leaves me a second or so to decide that I've arrived at the right letter and release the button or hit up/down again. It's not a big deal but I don't really want to have to think about that fact.
yea, ive mentioned this before as well. its annoying.. it'd be nice if u could disable "hold b for 3secs for source menu" in the .ini
Actually, if you turn on wiimote gestures in in the INI it will also turn that off.

I, on the other hand, actually like having a 1-button way to get to the source menu. If the above mentioned tweak were implemented/corrected it wouldn't get in the way as much.

What really would be nice is if it were made to react when you RELEASE the button (finish a button press) but ONLY when no other combo has been used. (still having other buttons cancel as mentioned above) but as with any of my ideas, I don't really understand the controller interface enough to know how hard that would be to actually implement. (Otherwise I would just submit code instead of suggestions).

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A couple of minor gui related feature requests, nothing urgent just little things
  • and now that we have multiple methods for launching Gamecube games, changing the "DML" label to Gamecube or GCN
As I said, nothing of any great urgency, just aesthetic adjustments

Isn't this saying it is DIOS MIOS booting?? I figure that is there so we know either DM(L) or Devolution at this point, if we switch it to Gamecube or NGC, we wouldn't know between DM(L) or Devolution (I use Devolution for most of the games that currently don't run on DM(L) .)
Sorry I meant the button to display your gamecube games. But, I've just realized that it's part of the theme I'm using and not wiiflow itself.

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about installing an earlier version of cIOS, before d2x, and set the problem games to launch using that?
The problem games work with cios38rev17 I believe. but I don't think it's possible to install that cios to use with wiiflow to run the problem games

Is it wiiflow booting up with the cIOS, or would it be the cIOS launching the game? One could install 38r17 into slot 248, for example, and set the game to launch using 248 instead of Auto. I'll give this a shot later today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday) and report back, unless someone answers before me.

With the upcoming neek2o, would wiiflow not be running in that environment so it would only be pulled up when launching games set to use it?

Nice, I'll be following that thread and check it out when it becomes available. Also, since it would be wiiflow calling up neek2o for the particular games, it won't interfere with the emulator plugins, correct? If so, it seems like a great plan.

Finally, I was having issues getting the extract to work so I used bootmii to save the nand and nandextract to extract it for my emunand. Not sure if that would explain anything or not, but since I have saves on that now I'd rather not have to lose them, if that's an option.
I believe you can use savegame manager gx to copy the gamesaves from that nand backup to another but never tried it or used it. Maybe Etheboss knows more on this. For me I just put the two nands on my PC and copy the titles/00010000 and titles/00010004 folders from one to the other. They contain the gamesave data.

That's good to know (the two title folders). Hopefully my current emunand will work for anything and everything I will need.

Ok. Why? Is this only if I'm running wiiflow from within the neek2o, or even in the future when neek2o only gets initialized for games that are set for that?

for wiiflow - yes

I'm intrigued by this response, but I can't come up with the question that expresses my curiosity correctly. Oh well.

Perhaps someone who is connected to either the wiki on the google code page, the wiiflowiki page, and/or the new wiiflowiki-esque page could break this down to easy to follow information for an FAQ?

Etheboss

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, but i felt the need to comment again (in green this time)
The problem here is that rev 17 can only be installed in slot 249 by default, there is some way around it, but i would not mess with it, because you need to know what you are doing. Also there is not that much difference between rev 17 and d2x v8 (my advice, stick with d2x and use neek2o for problematic games).

Is it wiiflow booting up with the cIOS, or would it be the cIOS launching the game? One could install 38r17 into slot 248, for example, and set the game to launch using 248 instead of Auto. I'll give this a shot later today (Tuesday) or tomorrow (Wednesday) and report back, unless someone answers before me.
Every thing runs on some kind of ©IOS on REAL nand, by default Wiiflow runs on a cIOS in slot 249 and if it starts a game it reloads a cIOS that the game needs or not if it is the same. You could try installing r17 into slot 248 if you know how, but before you do read my comment above on cIOS.
Wiiflow run from neek2o would behave differently then wiiflow run from real nand, Wiiflow from real nand runs on cIOS but the latest version can also directly run a wiiware/vc game from neek2o emunand, this means most problematic ww/vc games will run from realnand wiiflow too. I guess it is up to your own preference how you want to use wiiflow.

Nice, I'll be following that thread and check it out when it becomes available. Also, since it would be wiiflow calling up neek2o for the particular games, it won't interfere with the emulator plugins, correct? If so, it seems like a great plan.
Emulator plugins are totally seperate, if you don't want to use them, don't copy them to the plugin folder, if you do they will be used in a seperate proces.

That's good to know (the two title folders). Hopefully my current emunand will work for anything and everything I will need.
Most likely it will, only a few games wich use weird characters in their savegames, will give problems, and that only if you use a cIOS to play VC/WW games.

Ok. Why? Is this only if I'm running wiiflow from within the neek2o, or even in the future when neek2o only gets initialized for games that are set for that?
in fact here you have 2 choices, if you don't have DM in emunand, neek2o will use DM in real nand instead (for neek2o it's easy though, just copy the .app file to the sneek folder and rename it to diosmios.bin)

Maybe REALNAND vs EMUNAND needs more explaining, when running things from emunand, the Wii won't use your real nand, this will save nand space and emunand can be as big as the hdd in theory. Thats the major advantage of using emunand and neek2o. Realnand however is probably easier to set up.
for wiiflow - yes

I'm intrigued by this response, but I can't come up with the question that expresses my curiosity correctly. Oh well.
Hey no problem..

Perhaps someone who is connected to either the wiki on the google code page, the wiiflowiki page, and/or the new wiiflowiki-esque page could break this down to easy to follow information for an FAQ?
Lol, fledge could do that.
Did i forget a question? :yay: :creep:

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooray, we're all colorful now! My responses to your responses.
Sorry, but i felt the need to comment again (in green this time)
The problem here is that rev 17 can only be installed in slot 249 by default, there is some way around it, but i would not mess with it, because you need to know what you are doing. Also there is not that much difference between rev 17 and d2x v8 (my advice, stick with d2x and use neek2o for problematic games).
Hokay.

Every thing runs on some kind of ©IOS on REAL nand, by default Wiiflow runs on a cIOS in slot 249 and if it starts a game it reloads a cIOS that the game needs or not if it is the same. You could try installing r17 into slot 248 if you know how, but before you do read my comment above on cIOS.
Same as above, hokay. :-)
Wiiflow run from neek2o would behave differently then wiiflow run from real nand, Wiiflow from real nand runs on cIOS but the latest version can also directly run a wiiware/vc game from neek2o emunand, this means most problematic ww/vc games will run from realnand wiiflow too. I guess it is up to your own preference how you want to use wiiflow.
Hokay. Again. It sounds like the "best" route to go would be to have a wiiflow emunand with ww/vc games installed into it. Also, have neek2o set up, and change the setting for problem games to use neek2o. This again brings up my older question, compatibility chart?

Emulator plugins are totally seperate, if you don't want to use them, don't copy them to the plugin folder, if you do they will be used in a seperate proces.
I most likely will be using emulator plugins. It's nice to have everything in one package. With the assumption that I am going to use plugins, because Wiiflow is running off of the Wii's nand and only calls up neek2o when specifically asked for, should there be no issue between emulator plugins and neek2o?

Most likely it will, only a few games wich use weird characters in their savegames, will give problems, and that only if you use a cIOS to play VC/WW games.
Sounds good to me. Almost seems like I should be running all ww/vc games using neek2o, if it works so smoothly. If that is the route to choose, I'll have to see if there's a neek2o=yes for global ww/vc.

in fact here you have 2 choices, if you don't have DM in emunand, neek2o will use DM in real nand instead (for neek2o it's easy though, just copy the .app file to the sneek folder and rename it to diosmios.bin)

Maybe REALNAND vs EMUNAND needs more explaining, when running things from emunand, the Wii won't use your real nand, this will save nand space and emunand can be as big as the hdd in theory. Thats the major advantage of using emunand and neek2o. Realnand however is probably easier to set up.
I understand it to that point. I think where I had been confused was just how much is emulated. Is the entire thing being emulated off the external HDD, and only using the Wii as hardware for video/audio, wiimote/gamecube controls, ethernet/wifi? I remember when people were initially talking about it I wasn't paying much attention because it was a way to try doing different things without fear of bricking your Wii (so you could mess with IOSes or some such with no fear). If that were the case, then when a new waninkoko or hermes cIOS comes out (or cMIOS, which I was mentally equating DM to be), since these are the bits that run things it would need to be updated where you are running the Wii environment, which, again in my mind, was based off of the HDD. That's where the whole query came from. Hope that clears up why I was asking.
for wiiflow - yes

Hey no problem..
Ok. For wiiflow - yes. Would the things that would trigger a 'no' response be Homebrew apps, gecko stuff, or what? Yeah, got a question!

Lol, fledge could do that.
Yay, go fledge!~
Did i forget a question? :yay: :creep:
Is there a reason everyone is avoiding music DLC for those games? I guess I could try setting the game to use no emulation, load, DL my purchased music to the SD card, exit, load up the game again with full emulation, then transfer the music from SD to 'nand'. See if that works. I was just hoping for a more direct method.
I think it's time for me to get some sleep soon. When it gets to this point I find I am more clinical in my questions/responses. Ok, g'nite all. (isn't working graveyard fun?)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='etheboss'] Thanks for your input. You answered some of my questions too. But is there something wrong with wiiflow and emunand games again? I can't get any of my emunand games to work even when i set them to use neek2o. I've ruined two of nands somehow using wiiflow. They'll be fine and then after using wiiflow I'll do a disk check and it'll find errors with files and folder related to my wiiflow emunand. This last time I made a new nand using wiiflow nand extract and added a few games with showmiiwads - the first time I launched dr mario it ran fine but ever since then just blackscreens. I've found out they all blackscreen unless i set them to use neek2o then they work fine but blackscreen whenever I try to return to wiiflow. This drives me nuts ... especially since neek2o and usbloader gx work just fine with emunand. Just wondering if you know something I don't.

Etheboss

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
JSchloegel: Here is a round-up.

closest to a vc/ww compatibility list for wiiflow is http://wiki.gbatemp...._compatibility. At the moment plugins will not work when you run wiiflow from neek2o. In real nand plugins and neek2o won't conflict. At the moment it's a per game setting to use neek2o for starting vc/ww games in wiiflow. About c and d, partial is easier probably because you can just set it and wiiflow automatically creates the files needed to use this setting. I didn't answer any music DLC questions because i have no experience with it at all.

fledge68: i can't answer that correctly i am afraid, It did seem to work well for me. Either this is again mem problems with wiiflow or something broken with the wiiflow emunand part. I guess only Fix94 or OverjoY can answer these questions.

PS. sorry for yesterday, i saw you called me but i was AFK at that moment..

luck_gh0st

Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunately no good. Tried my own r632, r634 and your r632 linked above. No music. Thanks for having a look into it!
You tried it with ogg as said?
Of course - always use ogg. Just saw macmanhigh mention music works from themes. Have not tried this. Always used wiiflow/music.
Unless others complain about ogg music not working, just hang off on spending too much time on this until I create another test ogg file(s) separately from my original ones, to thoroughly test this on my end first.
Thanks Fix.

BTW, great Q&A, JSchloegel, fledge68 & Etheboss. Some excellent info there.
No you're not alone my ogg music stopped in r636 ....weird... up til now I've had no problems with music. I deleted the wiiflow.ini and created a new one and set everything up again and it says wiiflow/music on it's own. I also tried to create a music folder in my Carbonik theme but that didn't work either...

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ luck_gh0st - Not too positive Budd but i think u need to use Updated Themes for v3.0(which is BlackWii im using) cause aftering DLing it i noticed it has its own "music" Folder...

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh and if somebody still got problems with bg music, try out this:
https://dl.dropbox.c...flowMod/boot.7z
with ogg files.
Woe I missed this one somehow.. sorry about that. I'll check it out soon and post some results soon. Also I'm wondering should the music preferably be in Wiiflow/Music or wiiflow/themes/music now? I'm using Jiiwah's Starnight theme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Shubshub @ Shubshub: oshit its the real jdbye