Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, I have recently updated from R2?? to the official R425. I think changing coverflow views used to be accomplished using the 1 and 2 buttons on the remote. It seems that either I do not remember correctly or this has changed. Can someone tell me how to switch coverflows with the latest release. Thanks...
coverflow swiching has been removed on these beta releases, you can use an old default.ini but remember that it's outdated so it could cause some odd problems like overlapping buttons among other things. Once a final release is near those things will be updated and you will be able to switch coverflows.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cover_buffer=18

When quickly flicking through the games wiiflow cannot buffer the covers fast enough and i have to wait for it to display the next 18 covers.. is their anyway to increase the display speed?

I tried setting cover_buffer over 120 but it seems to crash wiiflow
A faster hard disk helps. Depending on the hard drive I use I see this too... when you quickly scroll it can't buffer quickly enough. I don't see it much on the 7200 RPM drives as much as the 54/5900 RPM drives. Also if you setup the hard disk copy all the images to the drive first so they are close to each other. This reduces the seek time between images that may be scattered all over the disk. If you are using a disk defragmenter that has the option move all the files in the Wiiflow folder so they are together and near the first/quickest part of the drive. That may mitigate some of the delays you are seeing.

MrGreg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have recently updated from R2?? to the official R425. I think changing coverflow views used to be accomplished using the 1 and 2 buttons on the remote. It seems that either I do not remember correctly or this has changed. Can someone tell me how to switch coverflows with the latest release. Thanks...
coverflow swiching has been removed on these beta releases, you can use an old default.ini but remember that it's outdated so it could cause some odd problems like overlapping buttons among other things. Once a final release is near those things will be updated and you will be able to switch coverflows.

Thanks for your reply MassiveRican. I do not think using an old ini is advisable. So are coverflows disabled in the code or in the ini or both? Thanks...

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've made a whole new page for 'Categories' on WiiFlow Mod that I would like you to try out. It's not officially committed yet. I want you all to check it out and give your input. If you like it maybe we can talk Fix94 into letting me commit it. It doesn't add any size to Wiiflow Mod, in fact it shrinks it a little.

With this new setup you can have 20 categories (19 + ALL) and you can select to view more than one category at a time. For example - if you have your categories set up by genre you can select to view racing, sports, and sim categories. This is alot like USB Loader GX.

The Carbonik, Violet, and Starnight themes I updated a while back will work with it. I will modify 8-Bit Playground and Orchid shortly.

Here's the boot.dol -http://www.mediafire...u3103i445h5b0oz
Based on wiiflow mod r223

Backup your current boot.dol and categories.ini and delete categories.ini since the old one won't work with this version.

The main difference now is you have under [GENERAL] the setting 'categories=10000000000000000000' this string of 20 digits tells wiiflow which categories are set to view (1=on, 0=off). the first digit being ALL of course.

this is identical to 20 digit string for each game ID which tells wifflow what categories that game belongs to.

Hopefully BostonBC can update his app and post a new categories.ini for us. if you don't like it just restore your backups.

Reactions: 2 people

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone, I've made a whole new page for 'Categories' on WiiFlow Mod that I would like you to try out. It's not officially committed yet. I want you all to check it out and give your input. If you like it maybe we can talk Fix94 into letting me commit it. It doesn't add any size to Wiiflow Mod, in fact it shrinks it a little.

With this new setup you can have 20 categories (19 + ALL) and you can select to view more than one category at a time. For example - if you have your categories set up by genre you can select to view racing, sports, and sim categories. This is alot like USB Loader GX.

The Carbonik, Violet, and Starnight themes I updated a while back will work with it. I will modify 8-Bit Playground and Orchid shortly.

Backup your current boot.dol and categories.ini and delete categories.ini since the old one won't work with this version.

The main difference now is you have under [GENERAL] the setting 'categories=10000000000000000000' this string of 20 digits tells wiiflow which categories are set to view (1=on, 0=off). the first digit being ALL of course.

this is identical to 20 digit string for each game ID which tells wifflow what categories that game belongs to.

Hopefully BostonBC can update his app and post a new categories.ini for us. if you don't like it just restore your backups.
You just made my day :)

I will work on the app update this weekend and try and post the updated categories.ini

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
- - -
- - -
If this does get committed it would be good if it could include a bit of code to be able to accept/convert the existing "categories.ini" for those of us who DO want more categories but have already spent a good amount of time on our own custom "categories.ini" file. (I have just under 200 games on my disk and that's a bit of work but people have here mentioned having thousands. That's okay adding each game to the categories as you add them to the disk but having to redo them can be a bit tedious.) . . . You wouldn't want an auto-update to break it anyhow.

Edit: Or I guess I could just write my own little app to do it for me and then share it with everyone ... but I guess it's always nice if it would do it for me.
Is the only difference in the format the number of digits in the string after each GameID, the "categories=10000000000000000000" in the "[GENERAL]" and the "numcategories=" being higher?
Edit2: and, actually, wouldn't the length of the string after each GameID depend on the number in the "numcategories=" entry anyhow? ... I'll have to play around with it a bit.

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- - -
- - -
If this does get committed it would be good if it could include a bit of code to be able to accept/convert the existing "categories.ini" for those of us who DO want more categories but have already spent a good amount of time on our own custom "categories.ini" file. (I have just under 200 games on my disk and that's a bit of work but people have here mentioned having thousands. That's okay adding each game to the categories as you add them to the disk but having to redo them can be a bit tedious.)

Edit: Or I guess I could just write my own little app to do it for me and then share it with everyone ... but I guess it's always nice if it would do it for me.

I think I've come up with a way for wiiflow to automatically update an old categories.ini. it basically just needs to append 8 zero's to the end every ID in categories.ini. I'll post it soon if it works.

of course I like your app idea. sounds good too

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That wasn't too hard. Here are the updated categories.ini taken from a fresh copy of the latest full WiiTDB.xml.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1hq94f7gq7tffij (edit - sorry the first version didn't change the # of categories from 12 to 20...this has been fixed in this rev)

It was parsed according to this mapping from:

cat1=Action
cat2=Adventure
cat3=Fighting
cat4=General
cat5=Health
cat6=Music
cat7=Racing
cat8=Role-Playing
cat9=Simulation
cat10=Sports
cat11=Strategy
cat12=Traditional
cat13=Theme
cat14=Others

Curiously in my 1153 game collection I have zero in the last 3 categories.

I plan on updating the app hopefully this weekend to add 6 more categories. I am going to merge any cat14/Other into the General category and add these 6 additional categories:

cat14=-Rating: Early Childhood
cat15=-Rating: Everyone
cat16=-Rating: Everyone 10+
cat17=-Rating: Teen
cat18=-Rating: Mature
cat19=-Rating: Adults Only

If I have time I will see if I can import the previous categories.ini files and add the additional categories although it is pretty easy to append "00000000" to the end of the existing category entries.

Hopefully this gets into the committed code as I really like having additional categories and it will push me to finishing the category app and make it more generic/add features.

Thanks!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
cat12=Traditional
cat13=Theme
cat14=Others

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine exactly what would fit into those three, especially with the "general" option existing instead of the "others"

I plan on updating the app hopefully this weekend to add 6 more categories. I am going to merge any cat14/Other into the General category and add these 6 additional categories:

I guess I don't know enough about what information is in the GameTDB's XML file but although this is great for ESRB ratings for the US, how do they translate over to the European PEGI ratings? I also know NTSC-J games have yet another rating system and I understand some other countries have their own. I wouldn't even know how much of that is kept track of by the GameTDB but do they correspond directly to those ESRB ratings so they could just be fit into those same categories?

If I have time I will see if I can import the previous categories.ini files and add the additional categories although it is pretty easy to append "00000000" to the end of the existing category entries.
I think I've come up with a way for WiiFlow to automatically update an old categories.ini. it basically just needs to append 8 zero's to the end every ID in categories.ini. I'll post it soon if it works.

Yeah, that's basically what my app would have done anyhow along with adding the "categories=10000000000000000000" in the "[GENERAL]" section so I think I'll leave that to you guys

Edit: ... but this has given me ideas for a simple category editing GUI as not to have to be going in an out of individual game category settings and flipping through coverflow and the category list in WiiFlow itself and then the text editor in WiiXplorer to get the same thing done. I might try that.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cat12=Traditional
cat13=Theme
cat14=Others

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine exactly what would fit into those three, especially with the "general" option existing instead of the "others"

I guess I don't know enough about what information is in the GameTDB's XML file but although this is great for ESRB ratings for the US, how do they translate over to the European PEGI ratings? I also know NTSC-J games have yet another rating system and I understand some other countries have their own. I wouldn't even know how much of that is kept track of by the GameTDB but do they correspond directly to those ESRB ratings so they could just be fit into those same categories?

I think I've come up with a way for wiiflow to automatically update an old categories.ini. it basically just needs to append 8 zero's to the end every ID in categories.ini. I'll post it soon if it works.

Yeah, that's basically what my app would have done anyhow along with adding the "categories=10000000000000000000" in the "[GENERAL]" section so I think I'll leave that to you guys ... but this has given me ideas for a simple category editing GUI, I might try that.
I need to map out the differences in the rating systems and come up with appropriate categories for the other rating boards. I'll start with the ESRB since I already mapped that one :)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You just made my day :)

I will work on the app update this weekend and try and post the updated categories.ini

Thanks!
I had a feeling you would like this. You were the inspiration - that and I tried usb loader gx and liked it but missed the fancy coverflow. Glad you like it! :)

fledge68

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- - -
- - -
If this does get committed it would be good if it could include a bit of code to be able to accept/convert the existing "categories.ini" for those of us who DO want more categories but have already spent a good amount of time on our own custom "categories.ini" file. (I have just under 200 games on my disk and that's a bit of work but people have here mentioned having thousands. That's okay adding each game to the categories as you add them to the disk but having to redo them can be a bit tedious.) . . . You wouldn't want an auto-update to break it anyhow.

Is the only difference in the format the number of digits in the string after each GameID, the "categories=10000000000000000000" in the "[GENERAL]" and the "numcategories=" being higher?
Edit2: and, actually, wouldn't the length of the string after each GameID depend on the number in the "numcategories=" entry anyhow? ... I'll have to play around with it a bit.
"numcategories=" isn't used - it set to be 20 no matter what. And actually I like the app idea - it keeps wiiflow from having to do something once that it will most likely never have to do again.

JSchloegel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to solve the white screen freeze on Kirby's Return to Dreamland but haven't been successful. I was playing it fine when I was on r415, but I haven't been able to track down a boot.dol from r415 on my quick search so I could verify that it would boot again. I've tried r425 and both mod-r217 and the modified mod-r223 posted above with various settings tweaked (plus no settings changes). I also tried with the d2x posted on the wiiflowiki site, d2x v8 final and d2x v9 beta(r47) with the suggested bases/slots from the wiki. Currently at a loss for the next step, although if I could track down that r415 I'd like to give that a shot again. Hope I'm not just being blonde about this, thanks for reading and a huge thanks for everyone who worked on this project over the years!

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to solve the white screen freeze on Kirby's Return to Dreamland but haven't been successful. I was playing it fine when I was on r415, but I haven't been able to track down a boot.dol from r415 on my quick search so I could verify that it would boot again. I've tried r425 and both mod-r217 and the modified mod-r223 posted above with various settings tweaked (plus no settings changes). I also tried with the d2x posted on the wiiflowiki site, d2x v8 final and d2x v9 beta(r47) with the suggested bases/slots from the wiki. Currently at a loss for the next step, although if I could track down that r415 I'd like to give that a shot again. Hope I'm not just being blonde about this, thanks for reading and a huge thanks for everyone who worked on this project over the years!
This is r415:
http://www.mediafire.com/?7a2i2p3fg02wa8g

FWIW I have been unable to get that game, The Smurfs Dance Party and The Adventures of TinTin to work in WiiFlow but use CFG for those 3.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slightly off topic but has anyone gotten a 3TB drive to work on the Wii under any USB loader?

A friend got a 3TB WD drive after I told him I though 2TB was the max and I can't get it to work, even after convertiung from GPT and formatting it as a 2TB drive with about 800GB of spare drive unused.

WiiFlow, CFG and USB Loader GX all come back and can't detect the FAT32 volume or if I format it as NTFS.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This is r415:
http://www.mediafire...7a2i2p3fg02wa8g

FWIW I have been unable to get that game, The Smurfs Dance Party and The Adventures of TinTin to work in WiiFlow but use CFG for those 3.
So is it exactly moving from r415 to r416 that those three games stop working for you? It's interesting that they work for some and not for others in WiiFlow. That has always puzzled me. Maybe now that there's someone else to compare notes with who's also reporting the problem this can finally get worked out . . . if it is precisely that revision maybe someone could take a look at what exactly was changed in the source code there.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is r415:
http://www.mediafire...7a2i2p3fg02wa8g

tin tin doesn't work in none of the loaders. only on sneek. yes this is retail.. so before anyone ask.. though you can play every board until it auto saves, then it will freeze. but after words you can play the next stage. then it's back to square one.auto save ,freeze. then start next board. after you click out of game. then back in.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Here's my updated Default.ini and Carbonik.ini files for Wiiflow-Mod.
2 new modes
fixed titles position for games with very long titles
Changes some back views
Homebrew Mode is coverflow #7 - this coverflow will look crowded in other modes.

If you're using Miigotu's copy [_COVERFLOW_X] & [_COVERFLOW_X_S] sections to your ini files where x is the mode number (remember you can only use 8 per mode here)

@Massivericans Sorry I couldn't test the modes adjustment yet since I have no space left on my sd. I tested those files but the adjustment didn't work since I have to make a new sd\wiiflow folder. (did u test the forwarder channels by the way?)

Download themes ini file:

Enjoy ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1