Homebrew WiiEngine - trouble playing Double Dragons rom

djkcel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine how psyched, pumped, thrilled I was to have the rom for Double Dragons II Turbo CD - a game that you can't even find on ebay these days. I have it as a toc file with ogg audio, and the two ISO's (track02 and track26). And syscard.pce, version 3 of the super CD system card.

The game loads just fine. You get to the title screen, and it even plays the demo with audio without problems.

BUT I CAN'T START THE GAME!!!

I tried pressing run, select, I, II, all the buttons on the damn controller and none of them start the game. What's even weirder is that you can go back to the title screen (from the demo) by pressing run. But nothing else starts the game.

The controls for Turbo CD games should be the exact same as HuCards on WiiEngine, right? Maybe it's just a bad rom? I have tried other versions (wav/CUE/ISO) and the same thing.

Any ideas? Also, what is another Turbo CD game I can try to test the WiiEngine's turbo cd emulation? That way, maybe I can pinpoint the problem.

djkcel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some updates:

I was able to run the game just fine as bin/cue on Magic Engine.

I downloaded another Turbo CD rom, Gate of Thunder, and that played just fine on WiiEngine.

So I guess it was just something with the ROM...maybe you need to do something weird to start the game, I'm not sure. It won't even take Wiimote input (like home button).

Whatever it is, I can live with it. But if anyone ever gets DD2 to work on WiiENgine, I want to know!

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
If it runs fine in other emulators, it's not the "ROM" but Wii Engine that is not emulating something correctly.

Magic Engine is probably the most compatible TG16/CD emulator out there while, Wii Engine is apparently based on Hugo, which is outdated and far less compatible that other emus

djkcel

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
If it runs fine in other emulators, it's not the "ROM" but Wii Engine that is not emulating something correctly.

Magic Engine is probably the most compatible TG16/CD emulator out there while, Wii Engine is apparently based on Hugo, which is outdated and far less compatible that other emus

You're right, it's probably something with WiiEngine...I can live with it if it can't be helped.

Although this might be worth a shot...I looked in the readme for WiiEngine and for Bincuesplit, the functions are:

bincuesplit file.cue |--> TOC format. Extract datas to .iso
bincuesplit file.cue bin |--> TOC format. Extract datas to .bin
bincuesplit file.cue hcd |--> HCD format. Extract datas to .iso
bincuesplit file.cue hcd bin |--> HCD format. Extract datas to .bin

I tried TOC, but what is HCD? Would the WiiEngine be able to run that?

As for an injected WAD...I just looked, and was able to find the NES and Genesis versions of DD2, but not PC Engine...that's probably because it's for Turbo CD and it's super rare. I am not sure if anyone would be able to get that to run as a WAD file.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I just looked for it and .hcd seems to be Hugo CD format, so it's a specific format used to store CD images.

But i really doubt it can be a CD image issue since the game loads & runs fine: it's definitively an emulation issue (maybe that particular game is reading inputs in an odd way, which is not supported by the emulator but works on a real TG-16 and more accurate emulators...

niknice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm that the Engine version is definately injectable as i`ve been playing it
smile.gif
check ya PM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.