Gaming WiiConnect 24 and bricking

neojei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been surfing around the net, and I've come across a few articles concerning the WiiConnect 24 update (not sure which one this it) and some peopl have their Wii's bricked. How exactly does this happen? I've already updated twice, are they talking about the 2nd update? Or is there another update when it is idle in WiiConnect. Thanks

PiLgRiM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mine isn't bricked, but I can't pass the internet connection test or connect to Connect24 anymore after the first update.
frown.gif

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
It's called Flashing-Hell. Never got a busted MoBo due to shitty flashing tools? Flashing should anyways only be done if something is vital. Otherwise it should be software-mode patching.

neojei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read somewhere on the web:

onec you updated your wii and switch it off right after update then switch it back on - you might end up with a wii brick?...

Ok... I got that error everyone is getting when updating, 110213. I figured too many people we're trying to update that night, so I waited till the next day and updated. I got two updates that morning. My Wii has been working pretty well so far, runs games and such. So.. I'm guessing I'm safe right?

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dead Wii, plus some good news

IMG_0345.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

Kotaku's already picked up two reports of broken Wii units. Luckily, there's a silver lining in the gray clouds of dead Wiis that come with the second report of a broken unit.
The first email to the blog states that the system worked on-and-off for an hour before deciding to go kaput. Now, it only reads discs approximately five percent of the time.
That's definitely not something any tried and true gamer wants to get from his system in less than two hours.

The second email is sad, as the unit completely dies, but still manages to end on a happy note. The email reads:
After the long hard months of waiting for my wii, was able to get one at target this morning. I get home, set it up, power it on and go through the initial setup.
I decide to configure the online settings next, click the first connection profile, and it shuts off. Dead. I try reseating everything, but it's dead.

The good news was the person who emailed that second report was able to contact Nintendo, and will be getting a replacement Wii and a new power supply from Nintendo.
It's definitely a good thing to see fast reactions on Nintendo's part, though we wish consumers didn't have to become guinea pigs for these sorts of shutdowns.
On the bright side, at least you didn't wreck your Wii by dismantling it.

If you've got a problem with your Wii, you may want to try calling up Nintendo as well.
The customer support number for Nintendo of America is 1-800-255-3700. Gamers in UK and Ireland can call 0870-6060-247 if they find their units not functioning as well.

[via kotaku]

CobraKing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I turn my Wii off during the update and it didn't brick. I did it twice cause the progress bar just stopped for 20-30min. I would think the Wii has a rom which will keep it from bricking.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Question, if I have bought a Wii with the first firmware, and i open it christmas day, and by then they have a 3rd firmware out, would my Wii upgrade to 2, then 3 or straight from 1 to 3? I've never liked flashing firmware. That's why my computer runs on a highly outdated BIOS. And I don't want my computer to corrupt. Neither do I want my Wii to corrupt.

MiloFoxburr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Question, if I have bought a Wii with the first firmware, and i open it christmas day, and by then they have a 3rd firmware out, would my Wii upgrade to 2, then 3 or straight from 1 to 3? I've never liked flashing firmware. That's why my computer runs on a highly outdated BIOS. And I don't want my computer to corrupt. Neither do I want my Wii to corrupt.

Would update to the latest version firmwares generally dont need to go from version 1 to 2 to 3 etc

And your not the only one who hates updating firmwares I get so nervous every time I update the firmware on my M3 or PSP

Thing is its hard for you to be responsible for the brick unless you do something stupid like pull out the power..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1