Gaming Wii with Wiikey Sent to Nintendo

Metalclay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
with the wiikey still inside? don't know.

but, if you were to open it and take it out and put it back together again (and it's obvious you opened it), no prob!

the first wii I modded was an epic phail (first time soldering...but I took the chance
biggrin.gif
). So, I told nintendo I tried to change the case to one of them chameleons and they said that since I did open it, they would have to charge me (60 dollars). Some people I know said their little bro forced a dvd into the wii with a dvd already in it and they tried to take it by opening it and nintendo charged them like 30 dollars for the repair. other forums I read said their wii just doesn't want to accept dvds for some odd reason and they repaired for free (of course they put it back together like new).

It also depends on the person you get, the first time I called it was only 30 dollars, but...I had to do grab my debit card and couldn't find it, so I called later only to get another rep that told me the repair was 60 dollars. so it largely depends on the person you get. the worst that can happen is they tell you no, if you don't send it that's an automatic no; just do it.

protip: the female rep offered me the 30 dollar repair, the male rep offered me the 60 dollar repair.

p.s. you can twilight hack with 3.3u and use homebrew channel, wads, geexbox, and all that good stuff just make sure you got the newest firmware of your chip [my case: 1.9s (wiikey)]

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Nintendo tech center being 3rd party contractors is news to me too.
I spent 1.5hours each way to visit a Nintendo service depot to get my DS touch screen repaired.

They had a giant Nintendo character model, DS download station, and the word Nintendo everywhere. Didn't occur to me that they were third part.

I got a new DS instead of getting repaired, and a new warranty came with it. That makes me think it's Nintendo branch doing repairs themselves.
(Unless third party repair companies also have the ability to exchange machines and give out new warranty and stuff)

It was in Richmond, BC, Canada, but I am unable to locate it in nintendo.ca website right now.

gosp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Well... You're drive is getting replaced anyways, so if you try to unsolder your wiikey, you can't hurt it more. On the other hand, there's a chance that you won't have to buy another...

mastermanna123

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
gosp said:
Well... You're drive is getting replaced anyways, so if you try to unsolder your wiikey, you can't hurt it more. On the other hand, there's a chance that you won't have to buy another...

cry.gif

Too late for that. Ive already sent the wii. I hope they dont keep it forever.
If they refuse to repair it, I can probably order a new drive and have the professional modder that modded my wii in the first place do it for me. But itll be costly. and the drive is costly.
cry.gif

I just hope i get it back.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Another person here (forgot who) got their Wii fix because it would not read Brawl. It was obvious that they had opened it. Nintendo actually repaired it (for free, because it would not read Brawl) and sent it back with a small piece of plastic that had been dropped in the Wii while it was opened.

etrigan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathfisaro said:
I got a new DS instead of getting repaired, and a new warranty came with it. That makes me think it's Nintendo branch doing repairs themselves.
(Unless third party repair companies also have the ability to exchange machines and give out new warranty and stuff)

The third party company is a certified warranty repair center. They handle all aspects of your repair and/or replacement.

In America the repair company is United Radio. http://www.unitedradio.com/

They have been doing Nintendo repairs since the N64 days, and they know their shit. Not sure how they handle modchips, but I would guess they just remove them and give you a new drive.

FlameTakuya

Trophies
Website
rsx0806.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Senegal
mastermanna123 said:
gosp said:

cry.gif

Too late for that. Ive already sent the wii. I hope they dont keep it forever.
If they refuse to repair it, I can probably order a new drive and have the professional modder that modded my wii in the first place do it for me. But itll be costly. and the drive is costly.
cry.gif

I just hope i get it back.

You definitely won't get your Modchip back, that's for sure.

I don't know about the Wii itself, though. If they find out you've been messing around with the insides installing illegal stuff who knows what they'll do.

Shoulda unsoldered the chip before sending it. >.>

xlyfer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
etrigan said:
deathfisaro said:

The third party company is a certified warranty repair center. They handle all aspects of your repair and/or replacement.

They have been doing Nintendo repairs since the N64 days, and they know their shit. Not sure how they handle modchips, but I would guess they just remove them and give you a new drive.
I think from the location he gave out, the place he went to fix his DS was Nintendo Canada's western headquarters.

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Doesn't matter if they make a new firmware, if the people behind the modchip are active they'll crack it...

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ripped out my WiiKey when I sent the Wii in. The Wii came back with a new D2C drive, which was then immediately fitted with a clipped D2Pro.

Since you said you're paying, the WiiKey will be a non-issue. Nintendo tends to shy away from litigation anyway; the 'worst' thing I see them doing is removing the WiiKey (which you'll have no use for with a D2C anyway.)

not anything to lose sleep over though

atomiccow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamesphere said:
Man, Why the hell would you send them the Wiikey?!?!?!

So they can find out how it works and works on some shit to screw us over??? XD

Oh I know.
There's no way they couldn't just pretend to be an average Joe and order one
rolleyes.gif

Heh, I'm just kidding.

Post up when you get your Wii back and tell us what happens!
I'm going with the "they throw away your chip and give you a new drive" train of thought.

mastermanna123

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG
wow
The status on the nintendo site for my repair says "your parts are being shipped back to you"
I used the tracking code given to me, i used it to track the UPS. Its already in my city, "OUT FOR DELIVERY".
laugh.gif

So I gess im either getting:
1. My wii (repaired)
2. Wii (unrepaird)
3. A letter (recieving no wii at all)
4. a letter with a warning (with wii)
5. My wii, with new drive and the ripped out wiikey sent back (most likely not)

King Zargo

I'm a Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Nepal
Gamesphere said:
Man, Why the hell would you send them the Wiikey?!?!?!

So they can find out how it works and works on some shit to screw us over??? XD
It is in Nintendo's own product. Wouldn't you think that they know how it works?

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
etrigan said:
deathfisaro said:

Yep, Last time I checked they where using United Radio, The shop I work with used to be a nintendo authorized repair center, I repaired many Gameboy, Gameboy Color, NES, SNES, N64 units, right around the release of the GBA and GameCube we had to send them to united Radio for repairs which in turn would have a unit drop shipped to the customers house.

Nintendo screwed us over, we got no warning when they went to UR exclusively just a fax saying that we and are not allowed to sell the equipment we have now to customers, we have lots of Official nintendo product sitting around still. Also have a few bins of broken Nintendo parts/consoles laying around. bummer.

As for the Wii, I wouldn't recommend ever sending one in with a modchip, you might get lucky and they just swap it out for another deeming it unrepairable without looking at it. With trained eyes and stringent laws against modchips you might not be so lucky. Usually the big N is after the Sellers of illegal devices since most manufacturing is outside of the law. So I don't think they can/will do anything to you unless they think you might be providing a service of install/selling.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    CameronCataclysm @ CameronCataclysm: Why no blog posts about Nitendont going after Garry's Mod repos that have been up for a decade or 2?