Hacking Wii+Wiikey... update to 4.2 or not? Which procedure?

Cimi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I've just bought a wii with wiikey chip and an old firmware... I don't know if it's safe and a good choice to update the firmware to 4.2 (using the safe updater of course), or if it's better to leave with the old one...

Also, I would like to know the right procedure... these are the steps I thought
1) IOS249 - is it necessary to install ios249 by wananiko? (or it's useless with a wiikey?)
2) HBC - is it necessary to update the hbc before updating the firmware?
3) FIRMWARE then I guess I will use the online safe updater
4) IOS 70
5) IOS 36

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Cimi said:
1) IOS249 - is it necessary to install ios249 by wananiko? (or it's useless with a wiikey?)
No. They don't have any correlation. Although, I think NeoGamma utilises modchips (somehow) and that does need IOS249.
2) HBC - is it necessary to update the hbc before updating the firmware?
Yes. HBC 1.0.4

Cimi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
many thanks... it is useful to update wiikey to 1.9s? I've read in a forum that it limits the dvd speed to 3x, but I think that it could be absolutely false

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Dop-IOS/Dop-IOS_MOD

It needs a Trucha signed IOS or cIOS to run. Please ensure it is used appropriately. Although, I think it has anti stub installation. It is also a good idea to only sign it after the update.
smile.gif
(IOS70 is 4.2 System Menu's IOS)

(I think that santa hat needs to be edited out now.
tongue.gif
)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wiikey 1 with Wii system menu 4.2 can't play out or region games (edit : without Startpatch or priiloader), as 4.2 changed the way the region is checked when launching disc from disc channel.
The wiikey doesn't patch the correct address anymore.

If you have out of region games, you may want to update all to 4.2, then install system menu 4.1 with un-stub IOS first (attention, don't just install 4.1 after 4.2 or you will brick, you need to install IOS60 non stub first, then 4.2).
Check with DOP-IOS mod if your IOS60 is stub or not.

I don't know about the 3x speed, I didn't test the speed difference.
I also heard 1.9s put back the GC streaming audio bug, but it didn't on my Wii, my streaming audio games are working fine, so maybe it was all wrong.
I don't have any problem with 1.9s

for the update procedure, I recommend Xzxzero tutorial (sticked in wii hacking forum).
in an old version of his tutorial, he had the "revert to 4.1" but I think it's not there anymore.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
linuxares said:
but with Startpatch or Priiloader you can play out-of-region games from disc channel again.

And if the wiikey doesn't block disc updates, then you don't want to play out of region games from the disc channel unless you have one of those blocking them anyway.

Cimi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm just new to the Wii world... why we should play out-of-region games? I don't know japanese or so...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
About region-free: Don't update(in general), never update from an import game! If a game does not work, check if you have the required IOS and install it manually. No known game requires a certain system menu, they all only require 1 IOS.

Also about region-free: Whatever you do, region-free from disc channel will always be limited or require patching of the discs. If an import game does not work or only in black&white, get Gecko OS or SoftChip to play it. NeoGamma can also be used, but i recommend something that runs off an IOS and not the cIOS for modchip users.

About the cIOS: That's complicated. In theory you won't need it. If your modchip is bad only rev13a or rev7 will get you good results(no 001 error). Also these 2 revisions + SoftChip or NeoGamma might be your only chance to play some games with newer 001 error. If you get 001 error somewhere, you will know.

Cimi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I guess I did not understand completely your point... you're not encouraging me to update to 4.2? (with the right updater, of course, and hbc).
I thought that the answer of BBking83 was quite logic ant not so invasive

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can update to 4.2 without any problem.
There will alway be a way to play copies and softmod it back.

What WiiPower said, it was about the update present on game discs. if a game ask you to update, don't accept if it's an out-of-region game.
and if it's a same region than your wii, you can still play it whithout updating, because the game don't need the new system menu, it only need you to install the required IOS (using dop-ios mod for example) and run the game with a laoder (geckoOS).

You can update, but it's not required.
I'm still at 3.2E, all is working fine.

About your question : why play NTSC-U or J if you don't understand japanese or english ?
Some games are never released in europe, or very late, and NTSC-U does also include other languages sometime (Nights, NTSC-J included every languages)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cyan said:
You can update to 4.2 without any problem.
There will alway be a way to play copies and softmod it back.

Unless you have a korean wii that is region modded, if in doubt you should check first.
Updating via nintendo is the easiest way, unless you have no way of accessing the internet with the wii.

Cimi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
there's a little problem, the friend of mine who did the procedure, after having done all steps except ios 36 and 70, formatted the wii and then he sent the console.
the problem is that now I have lost homebrew channel... what can I do?

EDIT: I re-run the bannerbomb v2, easy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/owEOnspRpVk?si=rEd1m4Yi0aTKvjiv