Wii WIFI Antenna

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by wolfskers89, Apr 26, 2009.

Apr 26, 2009

Wii WIFI Antenna by wolfskers89 at 12:52 AM (1,115 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. wolfskers89
    OP

Newcomer wolfskers89 Member

United States
    While putting my wii back together i realized that there was a loose wire i found out that it had some how came apart from what i believe is one of the two Wifi antennas. It is the one that is positioned horizontal. Is there a reason there are 2 ? Is it needed to have both of them to work?

2. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It is called a dipole antenna. Yes both are required.

3. wolfskers89
    OP

United States
    Well i just hooked it up and it seems to be doing perfectly fine for both being needed... the one is completely disconnected and it is finding my internet and everything so i guess i am lucky?

4. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You must have a good signal then, beware you can damage transmitters running them without a correctly tuned antenna you will probably be ok due to the low power output though. If the signal is borderline and someone else starts using a strong wifi nearby you may get problems. Good luck but i'd fix it if I were you.
    edit: it could use twin dipole in a diversity setup in which case you might get away with it? the stronger signal is just used. they are for horizontal and vertical polarisation

5. wolfskers89
    OP

United States
    I am really dumb when it comes to repairing something like that. Plus i don't know anyone who can fix and i dont trust sending it anywhere..... But thanks for the info if i find a way to fix i will. but so far i havent.