Hacking Wii vs vWii: image quality?

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @ all,

I use my Wiis to emulate and play almost everything Nintendo based (even GameCube thanks to Nintendont). I have a component cable to get the best quality possible.

Now I'd like to know: Does hacking my vWii on Wii U improve image quality significantly? Is it worth hacking just for that?

best wishes.

T-Law

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the difference between Vwii and Wii in terms of rendering quality is almost 0, there will be no difference.

Reactions: naddel81

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my opinion, on my 720p tv, Vwii over hdmi looks much better than a real Wii over composite, my component cables are... somewhere so I can't do a direct comparison now

As for your second question, considering how simple it is to install the HBC and even Cios on both a real Wii and a Vwii, I'm going to say that yes it's worth the effort!

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then I would only have to install WiiFlow and have every game I play on my HDD already (two partitions. one for WBFS and one for Nintendont)?

T-Law

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@naddel81
If I understand your question correctly, once you have the homebrew channel & needed IOS installed, you can use your old Wii setup simply by using the same HDD and SD Card, so that's nothing to worry about.

[Truth]

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes, that is what I wanted to know. has anyone made a comparison between Wii (component) and vWii (HDMI), yet?
Component is still an analog signal, where as HDMI is complete digital.
Digital is always superior.
But in the end it depends on your TV set, if it has good component processing it might look nearly identical, but on 99% of mainstream LCD TVs HDMI will look better.

I have a Samsung LCD from 2015 and the colors via vWii look much better then Wii over component.

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Component is still an analog signal, where as HDMI is complete digital.
Digital is always superior.
But in the end it depends on your TV set, if it has good component processing it might look nearly identical, but on 99% of mainstream LCD TVs HDMI will look better.

I have a Samsung LCD from 2015 and the colors via vWii look much better then Wii over component.

So how do I setup vWii for HBL and stuff the easy way?

T-Law

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just in case you have no homebrew channel installed in your VWii, use this great tool created by fix94, it's a Wii U homebrew app that turns your Mii Channel into a homebrew installer easily (you can undo that after you install the homebrew channel)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuphax-v1-1-hacking-vwii-from-wiiu-mode.446786/

if you do have the homebrew channel installed, then you can go ahead with the guide posted in the comment above. Otherwise, you will have to install the homebrew channel first.

kb7cxWMSrPwL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wii has poorer component that the GC, this is well known (go look at the prices of GC component cables). It's essentially a 640 wide pixel image but with the color mashed down to 320.
vWii can't do 1:1 pixel mapping even when set to 480p, you lose a few lines at the top and bottom regardless of resolution. Full horizontal color resolution seems to be preserved in HD modes though.
Pal video modes will set the system to 50Hz, a 480p Wii U will even change to 576p which is not an option in the U tv setup.

Experiment with 240p test suite if your curious.

naddel81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii has poorer component that the GC, this is well known (go look at the prices of GC component cables). It's essentially a 640 wide pixel image but with the color mashed down to 320.
vWii can't do 1:1 pixel mapping even when set to 480p, you lose a few lines at the top and bottom regardless of resolution. Full horizontal color resolution seems to be preserved in HD modes though.
Pal video modes will set the system to 50Hz, a 480p Wii U will even change to 576p which is not an option in the U tv setup.

Experiment with 240p test suite if your curious.

so the Wii U hacking is not a solution to better image quality at all?
is Wii component even worse than Wii RGB scart cable?

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does hacking my vWii on Wii U improve image quality significantly?

Is the quality improved significantly? No. Is it improved at all? Yes, but it's not night-and-day different.

The Wii outputs 480p over component which is an analog signal. Your TV then converts it to a digital signal and scales it up to the maximum resolution of your TV (Usually 1080p). There is some quality loss when converting from analog to digital, but the higher the source resolution, the less noticeable the quality loss is. For example, you may not see hardly any difference at all when using a PS3 at 1080p Component vs 1080p HDMI.

The Wii U primarily outputs over HDMI, which is a digital signal. The vWii is rendered at 480p in a digital format, and then the Wii U upscales it to whatever resolution you have set your Wii U to. There's no analog conversion that takes place here, which cuts out the quality drop that would occur there, and the TV doesn't have to do any upscaling, which reduces the potential for input delay.

So will you get a cleaner higher-quality signal from the vWii over HDMI? Absolutely. Will you even notice? That depends on how much a videophile you are ;) Most people won't notice the difference.

miiuwiiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for this thorough investigation. I am a videophile. I love to play retro consoles with Rgb cables on PVMs/BVMs. I was hoping that the WiiU was the solution for a lot of my Nintendo needs. It is a fabulous console since you can play WiiU, Wii and GameCube games on a HDTV. However, when I played some Wii games on the Virtual Wii, I noticed that the picture quality wasn’t as sharp as I remembered the Wii Games to be running on a Wii console through component cables. I still want to go with the WiiU. I don’t want to spend more money on a Dual Wii. Has anyone run the WiiU through an upscaler/line doubler such as the Framemeister or OSSC? How does the image quality look?

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so vwii is basically wii ? no additional anti aliasing or post processing added? not like dolphin emulator? which btw make wii games look freaking awesome .. even better than wii u games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: