Hacking Wii v4.2 flaky after mod

wadzinsky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just soft modded my v4.2 wii, installed USB Loader GX 1.0 rev814 as a channel. Everything was going peachy and NSMB worked flawlessly. Then something happened after I did another NAND backup of the wii after it was modded. When I load games such as NSMB or Sports Resort, I get the blue error 002 screen. I went into options and turned on error 002 fix and then the games worked except NSMB now gave the error "Unable to read disc... blah blah blah." after about 10 min of play as tho I was trying to play it off a DVD-r. So I tried a newer revision of USBloader GX and thats where it started getting all flaky..

After i updated GX, suddenly none of the settings were being saved on SD card, Game covers disappeared (but still remained on the SD card), and switching views caused a black screen with an exception fault and a memory dump... At this point, i restored my NAND to original (before soft mod) and tried to re-soft mod it. I got as far as downgrading IOS15 and it kept crashing. I was unable to soft mod it again. Next, I restored the NAND to the softmodded NAND. Still the same problems with config settings not being saved and exception faults when changing views.... AND THEN!!! everything just started magically working again....

Weird?!

I am using CIOS38 rev 15

Now that things are working, the better part of me wants to dig deeper into the situation to find out what happened, but my smarter part of me just wants to leave a working system alone... Has ANYONE ever had a similar experience?

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I had both the channel and the forwarder installed
wacko.gif

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
nothing special happened, you updated GX, so your custom paths got resetted.

your NSMB isnt patched as well

wadzinsky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think of it, Bootmii worked just fine in writing to the SD card. I think all the system crashes came from the Wii temporarily not being able to write to the SD card. For example, trying to downgrade IOS15, and then when it would try to write to the SD card, it would crash. Also, in USB loader GX, when I would change views, it would try to re-write the config on the SD card and also crashed there. I tried to explain before, I deleted my config folder and left the images on the SD card. All my DVD covers were there when I loaded USBloader GX, but as soon as I went into the options menu to make the changes that weren't being remembered the next time I load, as soon as I get back to the main selection screen, now all the DVD covers are gone. After the Wii crashed, I pulled the SD card out of the slot and put it in my computer.. There was no config folder. It wasn't writing to the SD card at all. (and yes, the write protect was off
smile.gif
I'm not that dumb ... I think
smile.gif

So after many vodka-redbulls and nand restores and no success, I walked away from it for a few minutes. When I came back, suddenly it was working again. All the settings were being saved, all the games were working again, I could install channels again... I think my wii just had a NAND-fart. But now that it's working, I don't want to find out if I can restore to the original un-modded nand and re-mod it.

wadzinsky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I re-configure my usb hd for both WBFS and a small FAT32 partition, I can store all my cover art and any other settings on the FAT partition. Will I still need an SD card to hold the main UL-GX settings? or can I store those on the FAT partition as well? I'm kinda thinking not since UL-GX will most likely be looking initially on the SD card for the config file since it would have to know where to look for them. I don't think it would write those settings to the NAND

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
'STEP 2 – Preparing your USB device

Optional

The USB loader can load images and other info of the same usb device as where the games are stored on. To be able to use this function, you will need to make two partitions on the USB device. The partition for the images should have enough with 2GB. You can also make more partitions for other purposes. Use GOOGLE to find out how to make partitions. (Or go here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=179085).

For linux: http://gwht.wikidot.com/gparted

Required

The partitions have to be formatted to FAT. Mark the partition you want to use for WBFS as Active.

If you make multiple partitions, the First partition must be the one for image,... and the second one for WBFS (for Wii games)'

Taken from http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/help/readmii

wadzinsky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bazamuffin said:
The partitions have to be formatted to FAT. Mark the partition you want to use for WBFS as Active.

If you make multiple partitions, the First partition must be the one for image,... and the second one for WBFS (for Wii games)'

Taken from http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/help/readmii

They must have made changes. I have first partiton formatted WBFS marked primary and active. Second partition is logical partition formatted FAT32 and is not set active. GX reads it just fine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Is GBAtemp being a sluggish turd for anyone else today, or just me..?