Hacking Wii Update Manager WUM 0.8

Sonto340

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from what I understand, this program can replace the update on a Wii game with another update?

Or is that completely wrong?

If that's what it does, where can I go about finding some older updates for my Wii?
Thanks!

lombers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it can do exactly that.

If you want older updates, the best place to look for them is on other game discs. WUM will save a dump of the firmware on any game disc if one exists.

There are a few problems with this however. For instance games like SSBB actually require the update to be run or it will crash. The reason for this is the update contains stuff for the processor, possibly extra instruction sets etc. Unless you run these updates, you will be stuck with a non working game. MP3C and SMG were the same, they both required IOS updates before they could be launched.

So whilst this software is cool, just don't expect it to work with every disc.

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@Sonto340

like lombers said, it is the main purpose of wum to replace update by another in a ISO.

you can scan all youy iso to have more update avaiable for your WUM, or also, directly donwload an update by WUM (function "Download" on the bottom of the window).

I thinks I have made an update with truch with all the IOS needed for SSBB, and only these IOS wad file !!!! (up to the 36th)

Is there any body to test it ? (my JAP wii already have them, i cannot test it)
if yes, MP me and i will explain how to do
wink.gif
(and you will be the first person with the v1.0 ofWUM to try it
wink.gif

vv_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does the next WUM version still tries to connect through Internet in silent mode when you launch it ?

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@vv_

yes it will. Do you thinks it is noising ? For the moment nobody complain about it, and it is very usefull because many many people (believe me) don't update the xml file so use WUM with an old database...

what do you thinks ?

vv_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The « Refresh Update List » button allows to download the xml file each time needed, so this automatic connection during the launch time is not really necessary.
I think that you should let the end-user choose the mode between manual and automatic update.

… la fin du post en français, puisque nous le sommes tous les deux.
Pour l’instant, ton programme se comporte comme un spyware, c’est pour cela que je ne l’utilise pas. C’est dommage, car ton travail est intéressant et plutôt bien fait.

Kyokokoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Just one thing I'd like to ask: shouldn't a 3.2J firmware be available for download, or is that out of the question because for now there are no games that include it? I can't connect to the net with my Jap Wii and I was thinking of replacing the firmware update in Brawl with the 3.2J, since I'm guessing that would be the only way to get it to work.

I find this utility to be incredibly useful and easy to use, by the way.

About the connecting to the net deal, since no pc should be without a firewall these days, actually there pretty much isn't a way to connect in silent mode, since the firewall will ask for your permission. Aside from that though, I too think it should ask before connecting, at least the first time.

Sperenvanger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
moquette said:
I thinks I have made an update with truch with all the IOS needed for SSBB, and only these IOS wad file !!!! (up to the 36th)

Is there any body to test it ? (my JAP wii already have them, i cannot test it)
if yes, MP me and i will explain how to do
wink.gif
(and you will be the first person with the v1.0 ofWUM to try it
wink.gif

Is there anybody who tested this yet? I'd rather have one DVD5 disc to update to the latest WAD's so I can update my 3.2E. Then I won't have to fiddle with Truchasignthingy and brickblock SSBB (NTSC-U). Don't feel like wasting another Dual Layer.

Can't test it myself though, have to wait until next week to get my Wii modded with an Argon.

Kyokokoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Right, I didn't read moquette's posts carefully enough it seems. Maybe with that update he thinks he made there will be no need for 3.2? Or maybe it's just the files from the Jap update, which I already did anyway.

Oh man, waiting to get the game and not even having the Wii up and working is making me an anxious idiot.

Sperenvanger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think there is any harm in 3.2. His update probably has all the update files you need for Brawl, except channel updates. Those are not needed anyway. If you have all the wad updates you can safely brickblock SSBB and play it. No black screen and no hassle with dual channels/15% trick/Trucha

Kyokokoko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Heh, I don't think there's any harm in 3.2 either, only thing is I can't get it for now, my Wii not being connected. That's the only problem. And Trucha is quite easy to use, anyway.

Sperenvanger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
But what if Nintendo fixes Trucha? I think they will fix it real soon, because you can modify games. Now it might seem harmless, but what if somebody creates invulnerability for SSBB and goes online? I'd rather have an untouched iso or, in this case, brickblocked iso. But that's just me off course.

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@vv_

ok you may have right, I add a checkbox in the setting panel "automatic refresh at startup", which is by default checked... you will be able to uncheck it
wink.gif

@Sperenvanger and Kyokokoko
you are rigth if bigN fix the trucha bug, this update will be useless...
but if you think about it : it is also usefull just until the desired game of your region goes out, after, just use the correct region game to perform the update safely !!!
it is just for unpatient gamers like us
wink.gif

moofiee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
lombers said:
Yes it can do exactly that.

If you want older updates, the best place to look for them is on other game discs. WUM will save a dump of the firmware on any game disc if one exists.

There are a few problems with this however. For instance games like SSBB actually require the update to be run or it will crash. The reason for this is the update contains stuff for the processor, possibly extra instruction sets etc. Unless you run these updates, you will be stuck with a non working game. MP3C and SMG were the same, they both required IOS updates before they could be launched.

So whilst this software is cool, just don't expect it to work with every disc.

hmm.. weird. cause i have a jap wii and i manage to get SMG US to work without the update. i WGLP it into eng, signed it then removed the update with WBB. So i didnt have an update and the game still works fine =\

Sperenvanger

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
@moquette

I just checked Fire Emblem PAL to see what updates are inside. I'm seeing all the IOS updates we know of until now. I think I will update my Wii with Fire Emblem PAL and brickblock SSBB. If I'm right then for each region there is at least one game with all the updates: NTSC-J has SSBB, NTSC-U has SSBB and PAL has Fire Emblem. I could be wrong about Fire Emblem though. I'll give it a shot next week.

moquette

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wum.talevas.com
XP
Country
Switzerland
@Sperenvanger

yes you are right, fire emblem PAL have the latest PAL update. It should work if you use this update and then use a Brick Blocked SSBB (J or U).

But i am not sure at 100% because, i don't have this update so i can't analyse it...

maybe you can upload it somewhere for me... it is the c21be84f1578f0b18517f57ecc24117f.dump file in your WUM dump directory.

thanks

shroppy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I'd say that updating a pal wii with the system update from fire emblem pal and brickblocking ssbb ntsc-u would be the best future-proof solution, until we get ssbb pal
gbasp.gif

vv_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've tested it, this method works on a Wii PAL 3.2E / D2CKey.
First, I've updated the Wii firmware with the Fire Emblem PAL update. No problem at all.
Second, I've built a DVD5 of SSBB US with the wiifiend method : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=78029, then I've patched the DVD5 iso with WBB and RegionFree.
And the game works in 50 Hz mode.
It locks up in 60 Hz mode ... the main.dol probably needs to be patched.

... to be continued.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-