Wii U Update 4.0 Out

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, I got a legit question: will Wii games actually look better on the WiiU gamepad? Games like Skyward Sword turn into a pixelated mess because of the Wii's poor video resolution, but I was wondering if the smaller screen would somehow benefit the games better.

They of course wont technically be any better. But squashing that image down onto a 6 inch screen will certainly make things "appear" sharper and more defined thats for sure.

Take the Vita for example. Uncharted on that 5 inch screen sure looks nice doesnt it, yet IIRC that game is rendered at 720x408, which is less than a typical Wii game....

Reactions: trumpet-205

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought about something. Remember how nintendo wanted us to move our VC games to the Wii U versions for the second screen? That's kinda pointless now, as we have the second screen now.

Reactions: Maxternal

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait what? How the deuce does that that work!?

At the screen where it normally asks you to point and click with a wiimote, it now has two selectable options: On TV or On TV & Gamepad.

There is no difference in handling of controls, gamepad controls are inoperable (it will flash a message saying so), but you can use its sensor bar.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It streams vWii to gamepad.

That's what I thought, but too bad it wouldn't work with VC games or the HBC lol. Does it at least work with the old Virtual Console stuff?

I just thought about something. Remember how Nintendo wanted us to move our VC games to the Wii U versions for the second screen? That's kinda pointless now, as we have the second screen now.

Huh, yeah, I mean, do VC games even stream in vWii mode? The upgrade version has better control options and save states. I wish the HBC would stream lol.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just thought about something. Remember how nintendo wanted us to move our VC games to the Wii U versions for the second screen? That's kinda pointless now, as we have the second screen now.

You miss out on save states and using the game pad as a controller for vc games though

Reactions: T Link7

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You miss out on save states and using the game pad as a controller for vc games though

Okay, so it acts as a second screen, which is cool, but you pretty much still use the classic controller or wiimote, etc? What about HBC, that doesn't stream does it or since it uses some other iOS, no HBC stream?

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
WiiU_screenshot_TV_011B1.jpg Upload test.

That's what I thought, but too bad it wouldn't work with VC games or the HBC lol. Does it at least work with the old Virtual Console stuff?

Huh, yeah, I mean, do VC games even stream in vWii mode? The upgrade version has better control options and save states. I wish the HBC would stream lol.

VC and HBC stream fine ... though HBC seems to revert to 4:3 display.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 4480 Upload test.

VC and HBC stream fine ... though HBC seems to revert to 4:3 display.

That's really cool that HBC gets steamed, so I can use emulators, etc on there. That's nucking futs man. B-) That's gonna take a million years to download on my connection though :rofl2: I thought the Wii mode didn't have enough available memory to stream AV data to the game pad. Still, that's neat. Hey, with Wii64, we can finally run it on the game pad without using Nintendo's paltry 21 N64 games lol.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I found that the aspect ratio settings in the Wii U settings affect the size of the screen on the Gamepad. Kind of annoying, but oh well. Is it possible to run the vWii with the gamepad without hooking it up to a TV?

Also madworld on a gamepad because yes.

Attachments

• 20130930_200938.jpg
    20130930_200938.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 1,739

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found that the aspect ratio settings in the Wii U settings affect the size of the screen on the Gamepad. Kind of annoying, but oh well. Is it possible to run the vWii with the gamepad without hooking it up to a TV?

Does the gamepad act as sensor bar?

Reactions: loco365

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Can't 16:9 be forced on vWii as well as game pad? Either way, it's one helluva update, finally, we can play N64 games on there without waiting for Nintendo to release them :rofl2::evil: Sure, you have to use a Wii controller, but still, pretty awesome running unofficial emulators on there :D

Wasn't running the game pad in Wii mode deemed "impossible"?:creep:

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at the photo, on each side of the camera, there's a white dot. From previous experience, IR can show up on a camera. I've never seen those dots, which means, there are IR sensors in the gamepad. That's how it tracks the controller.
I saw those but I was unsure.

EDIT: Why is the pic such a HUGE resolution?
2560x1920!!!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you look at the photo, on each side of the camera, there's a white dot. From previous experience, IR can show up on a camera. I've never seen those dots, which means, there are IR sensors in the gamepad. That's how it tracks the controller.

Man, this is the first time I've been excited for a firmware update, because it doesn't kill homebrew but allows it to be played off-screen. Nice, nice indeed. Only issue is waiting for the download, my connection sucks lol.

loco365

Trophies
XP
So holding B will make it default to TV and Gamepad when starting it up. Awesome. I now have a complete replacement for a legal Wii.

(Not gonna jailbreak vWii because I kept my old Wii)

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is actually amazing.

Picked up a Zelda 3DS 1/2 Black Fridays ago and it looks like I'll be picking up a Wii U this year ;)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So holding B will make it default to TV and Gamepad when starting it up. Awesome. I now have a complete replacement for a legal Wii.

(Not gonna jailbreak vWii because I kept my old Wii)

That is even more awesome, so I don't even need to turn the TV on when someone else uses itB-) . Wow. Quite the firmware update, and though big, still smaller then than the Monster Hunter 3 demo (which was around 800 MB). Maybe someday it will be possible to use the game pad controls for using it, but for now, need to simply prop it up and use the classic controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P