Wii U Screenshots - No Internet Connection Required!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by loco365, Oct 8, 2013.

1. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Well, after a day or so, I had someone show me a useful program for hosting a simple webpage. I tinkered with it, and in about five minutes or so, I had a functioning screenshot upload page that'd upload the images straight to my hard drive on my laptop when I'm at home. If you want to take professional-looking screenshots of progress on your games and such, here's what to do:

Things you'll need:
    -HFS HTTP Server (http://rejetto.com/hfs/?f=dl) It's a small download, only 600kb.
    -A computer (duh)
    -A Wii U with the latest system update (4.0.0 U [Will probably be added to other regions])
    -An access point that both your computer and Wii U are hooked up to (Wireless or wired, it won't matter)

To start, after you've downloaded HFS, copy it into a new folder (To keep it all neat and organized). In the same place, make another folder for where your screenshots will be saved. Keeps things from getting messy. Now, start HFS. On the left-hand side, you'll see a icon of a house with a "/" beside it. In that general area, right-click on it, then go to "Add Folder from Disc" and select the folder where you are going to store your screenshots. After choosing, it will ask you if you want to use a Virtual or Real folder. Select a real folder. Now, you'll see a folder added beside the house icon. Right-click on that and go down to "Upload", then "Upload for accounts", then "Anyone". The file will now be enabled for uploading. At this point, your PC is now set up to receive files. Head over to your Wii U.

When running software (Wind Waker HD, Mii Maker, etc etc), press the Home Button, then launch the Internet Browser, and go to the address shown in the program. It'll be your system's IP address. Then, tap on the Upload button on the gamepad, and you'll be shown a large amount of upload forms. Click on one, and the Wii U will know you're attempting to upload, so it'll show both the gamepad and TV screens. Tap on the one you wish to upload, (Or use two for uploading the TV and the gamepad), then click Upload at the bottom. It will then upload the screenshots to your computer for you to use! Example screenshots I took:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

You don't have to have an Internet connection to do this, so even if your internet is out, you can still upload images to your computer, and you no longer need to upload them online before downloading them and loosing resolution or quality!

Credits to @bobmjcr for showing me HFS HTTP server.

2. sambena

sambena Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    Provo, Utah
    This is frickin' amazing. well done sir, well done

3. Henke

Henke Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    Gonna try it later! Thanks

4. ResleyZ

ResleyZ Swiggity swaggity swooty, I love my own booty

Oct 11, 2013
    Netherlands
    Silicon Valley
    Well, this seems interesting. Gonna try it out later!

5. TiMeBoMb4u2

TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 25, 2008
    United States
    Are the screenshots taken in full HD resolution?

6. kp_centi

kp_centi GBAtemp Regular

Nov 28, 2010
    United States
    So I guess this only works in WiiU mode not vWii

7. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm not running any HD modes, but you're more than free to try.

8. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I believe they are capped at 720p max, even if a game is running at 1080p.

9. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    i use this program to stream movies to my wii u, hmm nice now i can also take screenshots. :ph34r:

10. LongLiveTheKing

LongLiveTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    How do you stream movies with this program?

11. Henke

Henke Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    Use plex or playon to stream movies from your pc to wii u

LongLiveTheKing likes this.
  12. LongLiveTheKing

LongLiveTheKing GBAtemp Regular

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Is there any tutorials i'm trying to get this set up on my wiiU? the ones on YT have dead links.

13. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You need only simple file upload form? You can use filetrip then?
    I thought it was limited to compatible sites (miiverse, etc.) uploading by itself.
    Thanks for the info.

14. Henke

Henke Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    http://www.playon.tv/devices/wiiu
    You can share videos from your pc.
    It supports external subtitles and i have not found any videoformat it could'nt handle:)
    Never used plex but it is similar I think

OriginalHamster likes this.
  15. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I want a Wii U :( sounds like I could do this with my Wii, though. PC download program; check. Wii internet connection; check. Cup of coffee; check. Wii system 4.3... hmmm... worth a shot, I think.

16. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    I think it depends where you upload the pictures. Flickr I believe can give you the full resolution of your shot

17. KuRensan

KuRensan aka Pearbook

Apr 27, 2009
    Netherlands
    Somewhere in the sky
    This made me wonder, does this work for the 3DS as well ??

18. T3GZdev

T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    basically you install it on pc, you have your pc & wii u connected to same wifi.
    on pc side drag what you want to share to this program while its sharing, then go to the url on your wii u browser.

19. Henke

Henke Member

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2013
    On playon you navigate to the pc through the playon adress and select your video and hit play. You can pause rewind and forward. Play all of your videos really easy from your sofa:)

20. loco365
    OP

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I really wish it did. If the 3DS ever allows uploads of screens from the web browser, this method should work just as well.