Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy really isn't a "thing". It was only created or became a concern when companies with no explanation as to why their software sales sucked so horrendously when questioned by Shareholders & Board of Directors. I run a construction company, I can't claim that because I didn't make a sale, that I took a lose. It just didn't happen. Only the entertainment industry gets away with saying because you didn't didn't by it, they had a sad and lost money.

Any "hacker" that claims he is doing this for the scene, and not so there can be piracy is a hypocrite and a liar. One, you circumvented the code on the device, the security measures preventing you from running ANY unsigned code. ANY. It's in the EULA that you agreed to when you purchased the console. But then again I think IP / Patent law is only to protect corporations and prevent anyone from getting ahead of the big established electronics manufacturers.

It didn't hurt the original xbox.
not the PSone
not the PS2
not the PSP
not the PS3
not the 360
not Dish Network
not Direct TV
not Comcast (modems hacked)
not Game of Thrones (most pirated show ever)
not Walking Dead (second most pirated show)

So where are these out of work coders and devs? They have a website, maybe I can donate some money to help them go back to school or pick a different profession -- because if you are out of work in this industry, it's because you aren't worth sh*t -- not because of piracy.

*** over time I will say, I do purchase software, and games. Usually because I like it, it does what I want, and I want support. Or if it's a game I want uninterrupted online play. But then again I am almost 40 so I have the means to do so. But I also have no problem/guilt when I need something and just head to Kickass and get it.

You just called most of us working on this "hypocrites" for taking a stance you dislike on an issue. Good job. As I've said before, we're not actively trying to block piracy, but we aren't writing you a free backup loader either.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just called most of us working on this "hypocrites" for taking a stance you dislike on an issue. Good job. As I've said before, we're not actively trying to block piracy, but we aren't writing you a free backup loader either.

I'll just be happy if the new webkit exploit is EVER FINISHED. I don't care (much) how it's released.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether someone is pro piracy or against it (or somewhere in between). You need to respect what MN1 et al are working on.

You want homebrew on your console? Stop being whiny about it and be greatful that they're working on this at all.

If you want to be so demanding about this, then do it yourself, that's all there is to it

mixelpixx

hardware monkey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Depends, do you see a difference between hacking the console & hacking the console to play *.ISO's? See I wasn't questioning you (had no idea your view on subject), but merely the argument -- pointing out it holds no water to try an distinguish between the two.

But you must have missed the rest of the post where I said if you are worried about "piracy" that isn't a thing. It's fake. It has no affect on the sales, or survivability of the console. No one has ever been able to show it has, and in most cases courts have turned on the RIAA/MPAA and their giant lawsuits against casual downloaders.

No one asking or demanding anything. I thought this was to give opinions on the matter?? I can't make you code anything -- I've even offered you help, and several others. People are welcome to be critical though, of you -- and of me. Maybe I was sent by Nintendo for nefarious purposes, or maybe you guys are gonna take the code/exploit bounty way out and sell it to Nintendo...

Or instead of politicking, proselytizing and the few who like to climb up on their crosses like they are some kind of coding jesus -- just do what you are going to do, why even respond? Wasn't this an "opinion" thread or am I missing something?

If my generalizations bother you, feel free to ask questions as opposed to claiming insult.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends, do you see a difference between hacking the console & hacking the console to play *.ISO's? See I wasn't questioning you (had no idea your view on subject), but merely the argument -- pointing out it holds no water to try an distinguish between the two.

But you must have missed the rest of the post where I said if you are worried about "piracy" that isn't a thing. It's fake. It has no affect on the sales, or survivability of the console. No one has ever been able to show it has, and in most cases courts have turned on the RIAA/MPAA and their giant lawsuits against casual downloaders.

No one asking or demanding anything. I thought this was to give opinions on the matter?? I can't make you code anything -- I've even offered you help, and several others. People are welcome to be critical though, of you -- and of me. Maybe I was sent by Nintendo for nefarious purposes, or maybe you guys are gonna take the code/exploit bounty way out and sell it to Nintendo...

Or instead of politicking, proselytizing and the few who like to climb up on their crosses like they are some kind of coding jesus -- just do what you are going to do, why even respond? Wasn't this an "opinion" thread or am I missing something?

If my generalizations bother you, feel free to ask questions as opposed to claiming insult.

I would like to ask why you view hacking for certain purposes (homebrew, game mods) while not condoning its use for others (piracy) is hypocrisy. Some people just want to do cool things to their console, and don't have any interest in pursuing something they feel is wrong. Even if piracy does end up inadvertently enabled as a result, that would be due to other people, and not those original hackers. How does it contradict oneself to try to open up a system for a certain purpose, but not others?

This is an opinion thread, and I gave my opinion. I don't agree with many people on this forum that are remorseless pirates, though I can't really change them. Pointing to statistics showing that piracy hasn't killed any product doesn't change the fact that it is stealing, even if the stealing doesn't affect overall trends. Overall, though, I am bothered by the fact that you call any developer who wants to open up a console but doesn't agree with every possible use of that "hypocrites".

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had to buy my 2nd copy of Mario Kart 8 today...........£43 later.......WTF?? I can't believe how expensive it still is. My kids wrecked my other copy :(
Bring on a loader so I don't have to replace anymore titles again lol

If I were you, I would've bought the new copy on the eShop so the disc can't be ruined.

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All the old hackers are on PC now, that's why you think alot console hackers are against piracy(most of them are)... Just move on to PC if you want piracy and let consoles die. Why you guys are still discussing about consoles, none of these old guys are in the console scene anymore... 3DM, Reloaded, Razor... (all the big scene groups) are on PC. Fund an ODE if you want piracy on consoles because I doubt anyone else will (atleast soon). Donate / support warez groups if you want piracy else others..

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've been coming to this forum for years, but only today I created an account to reply here.

I just wanted to share with you my experience before telling you my opinion about piracy.

Nintendo was and still is my favorite console company since childhood, Wii U is the first console that I bought with my own money (took me 2 months income of last summer, since I also bought 2 extra wiimotes and other games), the main motivation I bought it for was MK8, however I got to play it about 3 times and that's it, the disk won't work anymore (and no I had no children nor little bros/sisters...).
Before this I was never interested in hacking the Wii U, I really just wanted to play my favorite nintendo games and of course buying them. But after this incident, I really can't just buy another Mario kart 8 game, it's too expensive, nor that I feel secure about buying other games since damaging the disk means basically you lost around 50 euro without a possibility to backup (especially in my case I still have no idea how my disk got damaged).
So I just got a bit upset and sold the Wii U few months ago.

Now here's my personal opinion :
Anyway piracy itself, without a doubt, is wrong ethically. I respect what other people said about this before, but I believe if the company isn't harmed by the possibility of piracy, they wouldn't make so much security against it.
The other thing I know from experience is, majority of people that buy games will always buy them, I met many people that refuse to hack their console (psp, wii, nds...) even if it was very easily possible for them, and also there are others that are just too young or too busy, or too 'unqualified' to do it anyway. And there are many that have no idea such thing is possible.

However now if you ask me, I would buy the Wii U again only if it was fully hacked like the Wii,one of the main reasons is because I really want to have the choice to load backups.
So this is why I constantly check updates here in gbatemp, once we have the freedom to use the console in it's maximum capacity, I will buy it asap, I believe many interesting things can be done with Wii U.

I learned many things already just by reading from the hacking discussion thread, I respect all the efforts done by Marionumber1 and NWplayer123 and Hykem, I check their posts almost daily, sometimes multiple times a day. Those are the guys that gave me the hope about the Wii U.

Reactions: Margen67

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did i reply to you? No i was saying this who asks for backup loaders to the guys who only wants to enable homebrew

Well, so far, All I've seen in this thread is people sharing their opinions and discuss the subject of piracy, I haven't really seen anyone trying to force anything on anyone ^^'.
Of course I don't like the language used by some people sometimes, and I also don't agree with those who call the developers "hypocrites". But just because a person asks for a loader doesn't mean he is forcing it on others :). Only those who are interested will make it anyway ^^ I no think anyone will put that effort to making something he isn't interested in. So just because you aren't interested, doesn't mean everyone isn't ^^

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, so far, All I've seen in this thread is people sharing their opinions and discuss the subject of piracy, I haven't really seen anyone trying to force anything on anyone ^^'.
Of course I don't like the language used by some people sometimes, and I also don't agree with those who call the developers "hypocrites". But just because a person asks for a loader doesn't mean he is forcing it on others :). Only those who are interested will make it anyway ^^ I no think anyone will put that effort to making something he isn't interested in. So just because you aren't interested, doesn't mean everyone isn't ^^

They ask to the wrong people. Also if everything is done and exploit is released then a backup loader will come sooner or later. And almost every game is on eshop just download it from there. If you download games without paying you are just stealing it.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They ask to the wrong people. Also if everything is done and exploit is released then a backup loader will come sooner or later. And almost every game is on eshop just download it from there. If you download games without paying you are just stealing it.

That's all what we're discussing here ^^,

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes, just found it a bit unfair how some people react.

Everyone has different circumstances, situation, interest ^^... However I would really appreciate the discussion to be reasonable from the both sides. Things should remain objective in terms of judgement, meaning no one should judge the other, but we can judge the subject matter.
For example instead of calling someone "hypocrite" we could say "I think doing this and that is hypocrisy".

This way we can all benefit from the discussion.

pokefan92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it's fun when I hear don't force us to make nothing, we owe nothing to you. It's not a matter that you must do something, it's just than I'm pretty sure than most people that nowadays says that they are against piracy, most of them have used backup loaders in other systems. I'm really pretty sure, but I obviously don't have proofs anyways of what people does so they can come and say that they only softmodded their wii to play a homebrew app and never pirated anything: a movie, a song,...

Then when people who have pirated things come here and talk like moral guardians or something similar, they shouldn't have taken profit of what other people shared. But anyway, you're free of course of getting what other people shares and don't share anything at all. But at the same time we can give our opinions, and in other aspects or life make the same: You don't know something so got away and don't ask anything. I'm not going to invest time in something very different from I want to do in my life because I don't have it, so I don't really give a fuck for that kind of semi gods of devs.

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I am shocked and happy to see progress with the Wii u but personally it won't be much until people are backing up discs,installing eshop content thought some kind of CIA or emunand,and making homebrew but I can't wait! Maybe the Wii u will be the next Dreamcast which still gets the occasional homebrew now and then.

Kangaxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

What if I hate Nintendo's account system and already own the games physically, and then use a loader in order to preserve my physical copies and the console's mechanical disc drive?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust