falcon64z8

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First world problem here, I currently own a good gaming PC and a regular 3ds. I currently have enough to afford one system at the moment and just wanted to see what everyone recommends. I mainly want a New 3ds mainly to play on a larger screen and majora's mask because I have never play that game. Also, a Wii U for Wind Waker, which I never played, and the new zelda coming out in the near future. Which one would you guys pick?

P.S. or a new graphics card :)

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii U. mario kart, smash bros, wonderful 101, wind waker hd, super mario 3d world, donkey kong, bayonetta 1+2 and then party games like nintendoland etc.

get a new graphics card when the next gen or next next gen of nvidia drops. for now, i'd wait.

i could probably play smash online 1v1 exclusively if i had to do. it has a lot of depth and is really fun. the Wii U just offers experiences gaming PCs don't.

I wouldn't invest in a new card as game development is changing radically over the next year or 2 with the transition to next gen consoles.

new 3DS = xenoblade chronicles. however since u have a gaming PC, u can just dolphin it 1080p.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
New 3DS will open the path for a few exclusive games, and some nice hard ware.

WiiU has a solid amt of games already available and you can't play them any other way.

WiiU imo is better, new 3DS next, then graphics card last.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you had to choose, the N3DS will possibly be better in the long run, though lets not forget the...'success' of the DSi. Lets not forgot all those DSi exclusive...game?

WiiU has a few decent titles but you'd be better off just waiting for a cool sale or bundle, and for games to go down in price since there isn't really enough to justify it right now.

If your graphics card is shit and hindering your PC gaming, then that's the obvious answer. PC is the most diverse and loaded platform as far as gaming is concerned. Investing in being able to play PC games is always the best choice if a choice is to be made.

I wouldn't invest in a new card as game development is changing radically over the next year or 2 with the transition to next gen consoles

Wut. PC gaming has far exceeded current gen consoles (Xbone/PS4) for years before they were out. The only thing changing is console game development because they can finally actually try keep up a tiny bit better.
PC gaming is completely unaffected.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you had to choose, the N3DS will possibly be better in the long run, though lets not forget the...'success' of the DSi. Lets not forgot all those DSi exclusive...game?

WiiU has a few decent titles but you'd be better off just waiting for a cool sale or bundle, and for games to go down in price since there isn't really enough to justify it right now.

If your graphics card is shit and hindering your PC gaming, then that's the obvious answer. PC is the most diverse and loaded platform as far as gaming is concerned. Investing in being able to play PC games is always the best choice if a choice is to be made.

Wut. PC gaming has far exceeded current gen consoles (Xbone/PS4) for years before they were out. The only thing changing is console game development because they can finally actually try keep up a tiny bit better.

I really don't see the n3ds lasting much longer than 2 years before it's successor pops in. Anyways, he already has an O3DS therefore won't be missing on top many titles. The wiiU has the better version of SSB4 and Mario 3D Land/world, and a boat load of other titles not available on other consoles.

Also I think the dude meant the curve for specs is kinda platau-ing atm, and you won't lose too much by holding off upgrading.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 months ago I would have said "Wii U all the waaaaaaay maaaaaaan." Honestly, though, given recent developments, I think that both the N3DS and Wii U as a collective have around 2 years left. If you think that's a good investment, go for the Wii U. If not, buy yourself a better graphics card (better investment anyway) and wait until the next generation, which will more likely than not be reverse-compatible, unless Nintendo really radicalizes with its next console

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A New 3DS would be good very good for you because of bigger screen and good 3D, but don't even think of the exclusive games as a deciding factor.
The Wii U, as game starved as it is, has some very good games that you may want to play or not, but I don't consider it a investment for now.
Unless you really want to play something like SSB4 Wii U or Mario Kart 8, but the 3DS versions are good enough to live with them for the moment. Or perhaps you would like to play Xenoblade X? Or wait another year for Zelda, if it happens not to be in another castle(NX)...
You already have a very good gaming PC, I don't see a reason for upgrading your graphics card.
Buy whatever you want, I think neither is a good option.
If I were in your case I would get a Wii U, as from your options, it is the one that would widen the most the library of games you can access.
But... Argh... Nintendo is suffering...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country

Have you seen the requirements for Witcher 3, Watch Dogs (poorly optimised piece of shit), Shadow of Mordor etc at the highest graphical settings? Before these "next gen" games, my PC could kill any game aside from Crysis on max settings.

I'm not debating console versus PC. PC shits all over consoles every day of the week from resolution to framerate. HOWEVER, game developers are now able to push games even further and as such, hitting ultra and very high is becoming more and more difficult on single cards whilst maintaining 60fps.

I'm currently sitting on a GTX 670 and although I was tempted to hit up a 970, I really feel the value will come in the next year or so for a killer graphics card that will last that while longer.

IMO now that developers aren't being as held back by shitting consoles, they will be far more ambitious in their attempts. And as every PC gamer knows, although our rigs are way more powerful, they are slightly less optimised and therefore there is a trade off between waiting at the start of generations or having to invest 3-4 years in. This is all just from my own experience though where I had to upgrade due to a new DX which pissed me off.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U. The N3DS doesn't really have much going for it, beyond getting some ports from previous consoles and some games that are "enhanced" for it, nothing worth noting as the enhanced games will still work on a regular 3DS. I guess it's better for 3D if you're into that. The Wii U will give you access to more games over a N3DS, considering you already have a 3DS.

If you can't decide, still, you can't go wrong with a better graphics card.

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
I recommend Wii U over n3DS also because I have both. My n3DS is pretty much untouched. the 3D effect is really really good IMO. However I've sadly worked through most of the 3DS titles I wanted to so its a question of replaying 3DS games or playing new Wii U games or playing new PC games (/endless back catalogue). Over Christmas, the Wii U really brought the family together too.

If you don't have a PS3, I'd consider buying a hacked one with an external hard drive and burning through Sony's EXCELLENT last-gen exclusives. I bought one last year for £100 and worked through TLOU, Uncharted 1, Uncharted 2 and Ni No Kuni. 3 out of 4 of those games are probably in my top 10 of all time. Then it has really well reviewed remasters I want to play such as SOTC and GOW.

falcon64z8

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the helpful info everyone! It looks like the majority recommends a WiiU. But chavosaur makes a good point about Zelda being delay until next year and both seem to have a lifespan of about 2 years left. I mainly play my 3ds at home, but the tiny screen hurts my eyes and holding it hurts my hands lol. And yea as of graphics card is concern, I currently have a nvidia 560ti and it plays all my games so far at good graphics and decent framerate. Was looking into getting a gtx 960 2gb (or 4gb) version but that can always wait.

I guess another question would be which Zelda should I play first Wind Waker or Majora Mask...

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is making some promising games for the WiiU, but I still think that the WiiU is a waste of money.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
New 3DS *without a doubt*, it's a console with an actual library and support. Unless you have a 3DS, you have all the reasons to get an N3DS and *no* reason at all to buy a Wii U. Look at the list of upcoming games - with Zelda pushed to 2016 and Starfox being an episodic remake of Lylat Wars it's a complete flatline. This is a no-brainer, don't get duped by fanboys who just want to keep dreaming. Get the Wii U next year from the bargain bin and buy a console with a future today.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New 3DS *without a doubt*, it's a console with an actual library and support. Unless you have a 3DS, you have all the reasons to get an N3DS and *no* reason at all to buy a Wii U. Look at the list of upcoming games - with Zelda pushed to 2016 and Starfox being an episodic remake of Lylat Wars it's a complete flatline. This is a no-brainer, don't get duped by fanboys who just want to keep dreaming. Get the Wii U next year from the bargain bin and buy a console with a future today.

I currently own a good gaming PC and a regular 3ds.

Reactions: 2Hack

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country

He has a 3DS. His gaming PC's graphics card is playing his games adequately enough. Therefore Wii U seems like a decent decision. OP for the record, I would NOT touch a PS4 or XBOX One. The libraries are FAR too small if you have a gaming PC and every good release keeps getting pushed back. I'd actually recommend buying a new PC rig whenever the next generation of processors or graphics cards drop instead of a PS4 or XBOX One. The value just isn't there ATM whilst Dolphin is basically at 100% perfection of emulation for the Wii/gamecube and opens up a HUGE back catalogue.

I still think you should get a PS3. The library is absolutely nuts, the games are dirt cheap or buying a hacked one is easy as hell. And the catalogue is very very very good.

Otherwise, I'd get a Wii U but it depends if you like the games. I can sink infinite hours into Smash Bros. Mario Kart is a really fun fun fun game for friends and family. Then single player wise, Super Mario 3D world/Donkey Kong/Bayo1/Bayo2/Wind Waker HD (one of my favourite games of all time)/Wonderful101/Pikmin 3 are all pretty excellent. However, thats pretty much where the fun stops. This year, we have Xenoblade and Starfox too... splatoon is a genius concept but nintendo look like they will fuck it up. The future does NOT look great for the console in all honesty but I think its decent value with 10 or so good games with a few of them (smash bros + mario kart) having potential infinite hours of value. However, if they're not your scene... then stay away and wait for the next year or two as the next Nintendo console might be backwards compatible which makes the Wii U obsolete (i hope not and doubt it).

On the new 3DS front, I'd rather recommend a hacked PSP, Ds LITE and PS Vita for the price you'd pay for a new3DS/XL. It would give you access to a HUGE library of games including the 5-10 good vita games, every GBA game and every PSP + PSone game on the go. And since you have a 3DS, you're not missing out on anything.

For the record I have a new 3DS XL and although I do love it, it's only going to be worth it if you have a unplayed 3DS games you're itching to get into.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
First world problem here, I currently own a good gaming PC and a regular 3ds. I currently have enough to afford one system at the moment and just wanted to see what everyone recommends. I mainly want a New 3ds mainly to play on a larger screen and majora's mask because I have never play that game. Also, a Wii U for Wind Waker, which I never played, and the new zelda coming out in the near future. Which one would you guys pick?

P.S. or a new graphics card :)
Since you already have a 3DS, you should go with Wii U.
The only new 3DS exclusive announced so far is Xenoblade and you can play the Wii version of that. Majoras Mask works fine on o3DS :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Don't buy the Wii U for the 5 games that are worth a damn on it - save your money, wait till it's cheaper and in the meantime either do nothing, invest in your PC, trade your old 3DS for a shiny new N3DS and enjoy better performance or go for the PS4/XBone to play their exclusives. I'm not even kidding - unless you find a Wii U for around $150-180, it's not worth it. Even buying a PS3/360 will be a better investment at this point in time. Unless you're a Nintendo Zealot, nothing but disappointment awaits you.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1