Wii U launch games to only support 720p

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The HD twins run most games at 720p, some even at 30 frames. When you set your Xbox360 to 1080p, it doesn't mean that the games will be running at 1080p native, that's just upscaling. Simple stuff like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is native 1080p, but it's not even worth setting your resolution to 1080p. My HD consoles are set to 720p, even though my TV is 1080p, because that's the native resolution for most content. I'm not thrilled that Reggie said, "1080p, check that box!" last year and now it doesn't seem to be the case, but 720p is enough for gaming. For instance, 720p is the only viable 3D gaming mode, as 1080p 3D is currently limited to 24Hz. I will stage a boycott if the HD twins aren't replaced with 3D twins, but that's another story.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, we all know that full 1080p graphics ALWAYS makes a game so much more enjoyable than a game that's only *gasp* 720p. The PS3 didn't have 1080p launch games, neither did the Xbox 360, but did that make the games that much crappier? No, it didn't make them any better or any worse. But I digress, anti Nintendo trolls want nothing more than to keep on bitching about trivial matters like 720p-only launch games. All I can say is, BFD.

If people don't like the fact that all the WiiU games aren't going to be in 1080p, they can sod off.

Seriously, who cares? You should be grateful it's no longer in 480p. The irony is sickening, in 2006, trolls criticized the Wii for being 480p and bemoaned the fact that Nintendo didn't go HD.

Now, here we are in 2012, people are upset that Nintendo's first true HD console doesn't cater to their every need and verbally emasculate the company for not taking full advantage of the WiiU's AMD GPU.

Wow. Simply amazing.
I'm a complete Nintendo fanboy, but I gotta say, frankly, that's a terrible argument. You're basically saying that it should be perfectly ok that launch games on Nintendo's new system released in 2012 is on par with current gen systems released in 2005/2006, and that anyone who isn't "grateful" (grateful for what? We're paying for this, not being given it for free!) should just shut up because "at least it's better than before."

Defending Wii U by saying 360/ps3 didn't have 1080p launch games would be like defending a modern car that doesn't have airbags because cars 50 years ago didn't have airbags. Or defending the iPhone 4S for not having 4G because smartphones 5 years ago didn't have 4G. It's just stupid. You're using the specs of last generation to justify the specs of a supposed next gen system? I really don't see the logic here.

Personally, I don't care about 720 vs 1080. I don't even have an HD tv, and once I do get one, it's not going to be big enough for me to really even notice the difference. But I think the precedent and public perception this will leave people with is very worrysome.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted-188346

I don't care whether it has 720p or 10,800p. I simply do not care at all.
I play games for entertainment. If I want maximum quality visuals, I'll look anywhere but a digital screen.
Out of all the characteristics of a video game: longevity, gameplay, genre, story, characters, dialogue, humour, depth, art style, music, etc...
I can't believe that display resolution matters enough to dissuade people from purchasing the console, and preventing them from enjoying all the games exclusive to the console, regardless of how good they are. Ridiculous.

Also, it seems to me that if the Wii U doesn't sell well, it won't be because of the resolution being 720p instead of 1080p. After all, look at the Wii.

Reactions: 1 person

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Given 6+ years advancement in technology, it is only reasonable to expect the Wii U to graphically outperform Xbox 360 and PS3 by a sizable margin.
Just like how the 360 was able to graphically outperform the PS2/Xbox at launch?
Wasn't talking about any specific games, nor launch titles in particular. Nintendo's new system has the advantage of at least six years of hardware development. In that time GPU performance has increased by probably a factor of ten and CPU performance has also increased considerably. If Wii U ends up not being clearly superior to PS3 and 360, it will be somewhat of a failure, IMO.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't talking about any specific games, nor launch titles in particular. Nintendo's new system has the advantage of at least six years of hardware development. In that time GPU performance has increased by probably a factor of ten and CPU performance has also increased considerably. If Wii U ends up not being clearly superior to PS3 and 360, it will be somewhat of a failure, IMO.
Maybe, maybe not. I mean, was the Wii superior to last gen, at all? I personally barely even notice a difference in visuals between my Gamecube and Wii games (except for "sequels" to Gamecube games like Brawl, which is to be expected, even on the same platform). And yet, the Wii was the most successful this generation. But we'll see.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Maybe, maybe not. I mean, was the Wii superior to last gen, at all? I personally barely even notice a difference in visuals between my Gamecube and Wii games (except for "sequels" to Gamecube games like Brawl, which is to be expected, even on the same platform). And yet, the Wii was the most successful this generation. But we'll see.
In terms of hardware, Wii = Gamecube x 1.5; that's why Wii games look slightly, if any, better. Initially, innovation likely sold a lot of consoles for Nintendo, though most "serious" gamers have since moved on to PS3 and 360. At this point it is difficult to say what will happen in terms of sales over the next couple of years. IMO, Wii U has to offer something that the competition doesn't, and if the visuals are no better, Nintendo will have to find another way to attract buyers. Anyway, I wasn't prognosticating about sales in the previous post... I was giving my opinion on the hardware.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
In terms of hardware, Wii = Gamecube x 1.5. That's why Wii games look slightly, if any, better. Initially, innovation likely sold a lot of consoles for Nintendo, though most "serious" games have since moved on to PS3 and 360. At this point it is difficult to say what will happen in terms of sales over next couple of years. Wii U has to offer something that the competition doesn't, and if the visuals are no better, Nintendo will have to find another way to attract buyers. Anyway, I wasn't prognosticating about sales... I was giving my opinion on the hardware.
Indeed. I hope NIntendo doesn't honestly think they can get by on new play style alone (awesome as it may be). They were able to get away with it for most of one generation, but I highly doubt people will have the patience for it for another generation. I mean, probably a big reason that many fans put up with the Wii, aside from the 1st party exclusives, is the hope that the following generation would be much better, and on par with the generation in question (like me). My guess is that many of those fans won't be willing to deal with the same BS for another generation, especially since it'll leave the impression that Nintendo NEVER intends to step up their game and offer visuals on par with what's available.

reaper527

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

on that same token though, wii sales were very front loaded and the system has sold like a brick the last few years. also, the wii offered a brand new gimmick that was innovative and got many non-gamers to pick one up. this isn't the crowd that buys a console every generation, this is the crowd that was upgrading from the nes/snes to something else.

it remains to be seen that the new system has enough power to warrant not comparing it to the current generation since nintendo is hiding their specs (and no, "has a cpu, has a gpu, has internal memory" doesn't count as displaying specs). with an (likely) underpowered console with 720p visuals and a gimmick that 1. isn't very exciting 2. will already be released by microsoft by the time the wii-u launches, i see nothing to suggest that this will sell well at all, especially since ms/sony will have already shown the true next-gen by then, even if it isn't released first.

expect more real-time demo's like the square-enix one for true next gen consoles, and expect more of what the xbox360/ps3 can handle on the wii-u

KinGamer7

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it strange how people are comparing the WiiU's 720p support to the 360/PS3's at launch. That was 6 years ago, and this is supposed to be Nintendo's next-gen console.

Saying that, native 720p is the key here. I honestly don't mind if it's not 1080p at launch; I just want the WiiU to reasonably keep up with the Xbox 720 and the PS4 in the hardware department (the gap between 720 and 1080p is far less than 480p to upscaled HD, for one thing). Also, I'd probably prefer 720p at 60fps than 1080p at 30fps, if Nintendo goes down that route.

None of this is relevant if Nintendo doesn't step up their game in other aspects, though, i.e:

- Avoiding the Wii's fundamental issue of having a game library that is full of shovelware and having maybe ten quality games during its entire lifespan (most of which are first-party, no less).
- Investing more into their archaic online network.
- Giving third-party developers the room they need to release their games by minimising hardware limitations (no more HD console exclusives) and overbearing regulations on content and distribution.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
- Giving third-party developers the room they need to release their games by minimising hardware limitations (no more HD console exclusives) and overbearing regulations on content and distribution.
^This is honestly the only one I seriously care about. As long as the Wii U can hold mainstream 3rd party support, I'll be overall satisfied.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the other shoe has fallen. First possibly over priced and the BIG LAUNCH TITLE is NintendoLand. Now the system will only support foggy HD. I heave 40 inch TV and whenever I watch local channels they look foggy cause of the 720p. Thankfully the non-local but HD channels are true 1080p. Thank You Direct TV....No thanks Nintendo!

It's not Nintendo's fault that you bought a shitty TV.

No. My TV is a great TV. Best TV I have ever bought. 720p on large screens looks like crap, It is a fact.

lol try 720p on a 73 inch tv. bleh! 480 is worse tho ;)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a complete Nintendo fanboy, but I gotta say, frankly, that's a terrible argument. You're basically saying that it should be perfectly ok that launch games on Nintendo's new system released in 2012 is on par with current gen systems released in 2005/2006, and that anyone who isn't "grateful" (grateful for what? We're paying for this, not being given it for free!) should just shut up because "at least it's better than before."

Defending Wii U by saying 360/ps3 didn't have 1080p launch games would be like defending a modern car that doesn't have airbags because cars 50 years ago didn't have airbags. Or defending the iPhone 4S for not having 4G because smartphones 5 years ago didn't have 4G. It's just stupid. You're using the specs of last generation to justify the specs of a supposed next gen system? I really don't see the logic here.

Personally, I don't care about 720 vs 1080. I don't even have an HD tv, and once I do get one, it's not going to be big enough for me to really even notice the difference. But I think the precedent and public perception this will leave people with is very worrisome.

I don't care if you don't see my logic (or the alleged lack thereof), I'm just saying so many people on GBATemp are constantly bitching about the WiiU being "underpowered" or that "WTFBBQ, launch games will only be at 720p, Nintendo is for teh kiddies blah-blah-blah". Their childish behavior is the very epitome of asininity, and they're trusting a rumor some sodding wanker made about a console very few people know anything about. More powerful hardware isn't everything, it doesn't make a game any better or worse, because if that were the case, the Genesis would have slaughtered the Snes in sales. The same goes for the Xbox against the PS2 last generation and the Wii against the PS3 this generation. I fail to see why there are so many anti-Nintendo fanboys who refuse to see both sides of an argument, but then I realized, this is the internet. On the internet, all logic and reason go down the toilet never to see the light of day again. Yes, I should have reworded my previous rant better, but I was annoyed at all the Sony/Microsoft fanboys' refusal to see both sides.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Personally, I don't care about 720 vs 1080. I don't even have an HD tv, and once I do get one, it's not going to be big enough for me to really even notice the difference. But I think the precedent and public perception this will leave people with is very worrisome.

I don't care if you don't see my logic (or the alleged lack thereof), I'm just saying so many people on GBATemp are constantly bitching about the WiiU being "underpowered" or that "WTFBBQ, launch games will only be at 720p, Nintendo is for teh kiddies blah-blah-blah". Their childish behavior is the very epitome of asininity, and they're trusting a rumor some sodding wanker made about a console very few people know anything about. More powerful hardware isn't everything, it doesn't make a game any better or worse, because if that were the case, the Genesis would have slaughtered the Snes in sales. The same goes for the Xbox against the PS2 last generation and the Wii against the PS3 this generation. I fail to see why there are so many anti-Nintendo fanboys who refuse to see both sides of an argument, but then I realized, this is the internet. On the internet, all logic and reason go down the toilet never to see the light of day again. Yes, I should have reworded my previous rant better, but I was annoyed at all the Sony/Microsoft fanboys' refusal to see both sides.

The other part of things that makes me LOL is the fact that the PS3 and the 360 do not run games at 720P (well a very few games do run at that res and fewer still run at 1080P) people keep saying "Oh it can only do what system X has been doing since 2005!" well sorry to be the bearer of bad news but system X hasn't been doing it since then or barely at all.

A metric ton of information on the subject here.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just look at the console ports for Skyrim, they are 720p yes. but neither version had anti-aliasing (well, the PS3 might have had it), and neither game exceeded 30 fps. Don't get me wrong, some games, like Star Ocean 4, look quite fantastic on the PS3/Xbox 360 but yes, very few games ever reached the full 1920x1080 resolution.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No rumor about it. Wii U does support 1080p:
http://e3.nintendo.com/wiiu/

Video Output
Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, Wii D-Terminal, Wii Component Video, Wii RGB, Wii S-Video Stereo AV and Wii AV.

Official source versus the wanker-infested WiiU Daily....I'd rather, you know, trust Nintendo of America instead.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a complete Nintendo fanboy, but I gotta say, frankly, that's a terrible argument. You're basically saying that it should be perfectly ok that launch games on Nintendo's new system released in 2012 is on par with current gen systems released in 2005/2006,
If he is even saying that, why wouldn't it be? Ps3/360 took time to get where it at. The wii u is at least on par (of the ending point of those systems), at it starting point. It can only get better from there.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
If he even saying that, why wouldn't it be? Ps3/360 took time to get where it at. The wii u is at least on par (of the ending point of those systems), at it starting point. It can only get better from there.
I agree, but that's not the way that the public is going to see it, and that's why I'm worried. Like I said, I personally don't really mind. But with Nintendo's reputation largely tarnished among the people who see Nintendo as a creator of underpowered kiddie systems, I feel like they could really use a radically visually overpowered launch title or two to help shatter that image.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh