Wii U latency less than 1/60th of a second

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Midna, Mar 17, 2012.

Mar 17, 2012
  1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    [​IMG]

"The speed of the image transmission feature from the screen to the controller is impressive," Katsuhiro Harada told Nintendo Gamer.

"The first time I saw Wii U, I thought, 'isn't the delay longer than one frame? If it is, it's going to be difficult for fighting games.' But when I heard that the latency actually isn't more than 1/60th second I was really happy."

[​IMG] Source

More details on Tekken Wii U at the source

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Neat. Though on an vaguely related issue, I'm slightly bemused at how the touch screen is going to be used for drawing on faces in Tekken.

5 people like this.
  3. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    But will that hold up under the pressure of multiple tablet controllers?

4. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Well, having another controller in there is like hooking up an extra monitor to your computer. It's going to strain the GPU. I imagine it might also strain the bandwidth of whatever streaming hardware Nintendo's using. I don't expect using two tablets will come without a cost. What seems most likely to me is that they'll have to reduce the framerate of both tablet controllers. Which will mean they will probably only utilize two of them in simple situations or where the framerate is not integral to gameplay.

Edit: Don't listen to me though, I know no more than you do. Perhaps the Wii U is fully capable of multiple video streams, and it truly is the price of the controllers causing Nintendo's reluctance to add multiple controller support

5. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    I thought they said it wouldn't support more than one tablet controller at a time? Or did they take that back/change their mind?

6. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

That's rather impressive. I might now actually consider getting a Wii U.

7. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Word is they're considering support for two.

8. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Ooh, when can I pre-order...
    -_-

9. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Neat, but, I would rather use a slim wii-remote like device for fighting games. Tablets are significantly overrated nowadays in my opinion.
    Thanks but no thanks Nintendo.
    I'll wait to see if they come out with a wii-remote like controller before buying a WiiU. I mean if the WiiU would only support 1, or MAYBE 2, tablets they will NEED a different controller for multiplayer games that aren't online. (such as for Tekken maybe being battling with friends at home; that isn't confirmed, it is just an example) I know, perhaps online games could do multiple tablet (one-per-WiiU) support but I sometimes play games with my friends together (IRL) at home so that would really kill that time for us.

10. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Well someone didn't do any research on the console
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Five player local multiplayer. Also compatible with all Wii remote peripherals including the nunchuck and classic controller.

Edit: And this isn't a tablet. It's a large controller with a screen in the middle.

3 people like this.
  11. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Sounds cool. Would definitely help with fighters but I wonder how the controls would work in-game? Would it be all buttons or would they incorporate the touchscreen somehow?

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I would imagine that with more than one pad receiving a stream, they could lower the video quality to keep the bandwidth usage about the same. Just how much of a degraded stream it would become, I don't know.

13. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Might be considering getting one now.

14. CollosalPokemon

Member CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

United States
    Ah, I thought that was a rumour. Good for to know it's true.
    But "a large controller with a screen in the middle." and the way it looks pretty much makes it a tablet. After all, the tablets today look similar (granted they don't have physical buttons) in shape and they're close to the same size.
    Whatever, thanks for clearing that view up ;) I was worried many games wouldn't be to my liking, but it seems Nintendo did think of most everyone with controllers.

now if they just included gamecube compatibility I'd pre-order the hardware asap...but they probably won't seeing newer wii revisions don't have gamecube compatibility.

1 person likes this.
  15. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Really, it isn't a tablet. It can't function away from the console. It serves no tablet-like functions.
    And there's a decent probability that GameCube games will be part of the Virtual Console. Not all hope is lost there.

16. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    How do you know? It's possible you could side-load eShop games/VC on it and take it wherever you go. That would be a pretty cool feature. Alas, I don't think anyone really knows so...meh. It'd be nice though.

17. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    This news is... awesome?

Pretty much. Lesser lag. :P

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    There's a lot of "it coulds" but there's no "It cans". Also, as long as its tethered to a home console, it's certainly not a tablet as much as it is a controller with a screen.

19. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    thts really great. if u wanna a new hardware, make sure its solid like the iphone when it first came out.
    nice work nintendo. haters will be...

20. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If the delay is 1/60th of a sec. And a game runs at 60 fps. Then that is a full frame delay