Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wait. I will go a little bit off topic about IOSU stuff, but still related to homebrew stuff.
Why haven't we ever gotten a Media Player Homebrew app? Is the Kernel Exploit that limited?

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wait. I will go a little bit off topic about IOSU stuff, but still related to homebrew stuff.
Why haven't we ever gotten a Media Player Homebrew app? Is the Kernel Exploit that limited?
Because nobody has bothered to make one. I thought about it at one point, but really saw no point when you can use the browser and a media server. The thought of copying media files to an SD card to play them on the Wii U seems like way more work than needed, and not worth it.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Because nobody has bothered to make one. I thought about it at one point, but really saw no point when you can use the browser and a media server. The thought of copying media files to an SD card to play them on the Wii U seems like way more work than needed, and not worth it.
Well maybe some people don't like to use Media Servers and its a good option to have them play over a Media Server and over the SD. Besides, how hard is to copy alot of music files over a SD card?

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The browser does have its limits, like lacking latest Flash support, an audio player, etc.
It'd be nice to have it all stored in one nice package, and let's not forget the USB support that IOSU might bring. :P

That would make it a dream for media playing!
True 1080p movies in a Nintendo console. xD
(Netflix doesn't count)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The browser does have its limits, like lacking latest Flash support, an audio player, etc.
It'd be nice to have it all stored in one nice package, and let's not forget the USB support that IOSU might bring. :P

(Netflix doesn't count)
I'd love to see XBMC being ported someday. Well, one can dream.

brienj

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

(Netflix doesn't count)
It has HTML5, no need for Flash. Flash is bad, very bad, it should finally die. What do you mean it can't play audio? As far as USB goes, a NAS drive is far more convenient than using USB. Media servers are where it's at.

lexluth0r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has HTML5, no need for Flash. Flash is bad, very bad, it should finally die. What do you mean it can't play audio? As far as USB goes, a NAS drive is far more convenient than using USB. Media servers are where it's at.
I agree I run a media server it just keeps things abit more simple

Reactions: brienj
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Flash Player is almost dead on firefox/chrome/edge i think

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We've got a lot of Surprise Features™ that we'd like to have ready for launch too, but we'll hype those up closer to that time.

So let's assume the SD card slot is being used by a 64GB SD card that will hold the RedNAND and some coldboot-related stuff. That means the homebrew files will be on an external device on the USB port. The 'problem' there is the WiiU encrypted format. Will we see FAT32/exFAT/NTFS support (so you can plug the external HD in your computer), or will there be a HENkaku (VitaShell) style ftp server to transfer files? The latter is probably easier...

brienj

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a few functions I've added to wut so far, but I've already sent them one Pull Request, waiting on them to add those fixes I sent, before I send the new functions I've added. I'll also be putting up some source code on my Github to show everyone how to use the new functions I added.

Until then, anyone who wants to test the test app I made, can download it.

Use:
Press A to show loading a webpage in the browser with browser menu access
Press B to show loading mp4 in the browser with no browser menu access
Press X to show loading mp4 in the browser with browser menu access

After closing the browser, control goes back to the app. This could be used to load a link to a thread for your app, or other uses, such as a quick and easy media player.

Sorry about the menu not being complete, and having unnecessary things, like showing the error code, but I didn't bother changing it for now. :P
Just an update to this earlier post I made, here is the repo with source code on how to use the browser functions - https://github.com/xhp-creations/browser-test

I've sent a PR to the decaf-emu/wut repo to add the browser functions, but until then you can compile the wut libs using the source from my repo to play around with this if you want.

I was waiting to see if they would add AX functions to wut, but I am probably going to add them myself soon(TM).

Last edited by brienj,

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi everyone. In my free time I ported Jezzball3DS to the Wii U using wut. You can check it out here:

https://github.com/raulbojalil/jezzballu

decaf.png

drc.jpg

7Robins

Bob is watching you.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great to finally see some confirmation after the entire community's hopes have been almost fazed out.

I also now feel entirely justified in telling others to update to 5.5.1.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I add the camera library too? Any requests for a certain library?
I'd ask for nfc/ntag/nn_nfp but let's be honest nobody's gonna use it starting off, better off going for other stuff, um, tbh yeah you should just add all the Gamepad libs, mic, camera, h264 (for video streaming) and maybe lzma920 (probably a copy of LZMA 9.2.0 or smth), most others aren't gonna be usable to 99% of people cause 60% are nintendo network which needs authentication and us nerds who are banned can't use it

brienj

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd ask for nfc/ntag/nn_nfp but let's be honest nobody's gonna use it starting off, better off going for other stuff, um, tbh yeah you should just add all the Gamepad libs, mic, camera, h264 (for video streaming) and maybe lzma920 (probably a copy of LZMA 9.2.0 or smth), most others aren't gonna be usable to 99% of people cause 60% are nintendo network which needs authentication and us nerds who are banned can't use it
I'm most likely going to be doing H264, that is easy, as well as the camera lib, that's very easy too. After doing sndcore2, I am going slow for a while. LOL

I believe someone else, did all the padscore functions. It was either @CreeperMario or @QuarkTheAwesome, now I can't remember, but I'm hoping they send their PRs too.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD cards are far cheaper than NAS devices, though :P you gotta think about those of us looking for an all-in-one media center

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've updated my wut repo with libsndcore2.
https://github.com/xhp-creations/wut

This was also added to the current PR I have with the decaf-emu/wut repo. So anyone who uses WUT, you've got sound functions now, all 198 of them. :P
Those sure look like SDK headers...

It's kind of an issue of trust because the only people who would know if it's SDK-based are people with the SDK, and if SDK stuff gets to the repo Nintendo could possibly DMCA. It only gets more confusing when applications leak symbols out since those are technically fair game, but still have the same names as the SDK (ie I reversed ProcUI from Mii Maker and a few system apps, which had some nice prints which helped reverse some enums). I'm not saying they are SDK headers (I wouldn't know), but it's just a tad bit suspicious that you happened to reverse "all 198 of them" in one day, with all those structures and enums Just There. It also puts decaf-emu in jeopardy because if they pulled stuff from wut which happened to be from the SDK, then decaf-emu can get pulled. There's also the point that if SDK code is out in the open and not described as such, doing a proper white-room reverse approach is a lot harder to do since you can't really trust existing research which may or may not have been based on the SDK.

Reactions: WulfyStylez

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...