epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Userland exploit uses mp4 bug,
Kernel uses **** bug,
Kernel is private.
I know I've been asking a lot of questions about this (sorry about that), but I haven't been getting an answer for it. What type of exploit does the Smash Custom Music tool use (with Caffine) and is the Kernel Exploit still working on 5.5.1? I'm still on 5.5.0, but I just generally curious.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ah so userland is Patched and doesn't allow Loadiine but Kernel isn't?
Userland has been patched and is released.
Kernel/IOSU isn't patched nor released.

So no loadiine on 5.5.0 :)

Reactions: GOT4N and KiiWii

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Userland has been patched and is released.
Kernel/IOSU isn't patched nor released.

So no loadiine on 5.5.0 :)
So... wait? Those who are waiting for the Smash Custom Music tool (along with Caffine) can update (as I assume it only uses the Kernel Exploit)? (Sorry for all these questions, I'm just looking for a definitive answer.)

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
So... wait? Those who are waiting for the Smash Custom Music tool (along with Caffine) can update (as I assume it only uses the Kernel Exploit)? (Sorry for all these questions, I'm just looking for a definitive answer.)
Don't update. Just wait :)

Reactions: epicmartin7

jwitz

Trophies
XP
Country
Bah wii u updated to 5.5.1. I knew I should have set up that dns earlier... I've done it now but it's probably too little too late. Hopefully there's still a chance.

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't update. Just wait :)
Well... this might sound weird, but I'm not interested in Homebrew all that much. Only the custom music for Smash 4 which uses Caffine (and I presume only works with the Kernel Exploit and not userland.) @soneek has said he plans to release in February and I presume the Kernel Exploit/IOSU Exploit will release around the same time. That's why I just kind of want to update since people claimed they haven't been patched yet. So, I guess I just need some clarification on what's going on as there is a lot of conflicting sources.

Reactions: soniczx123

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country
I know I've been asking a lot of questions about this (sorry about that), but I haven't been getting an answer for it. What type of exploit does the Smash Custom Music tool use (with Caffine) and is the Kernel Exploit still working on 5.5.1? I'm still on 5.5.0, but I just generally curious.

We need the kernal exploit or IOSU in order for Smash to connect with Cafiine. This just became possible with 5.4 while 5.5 has to wait for IOSU.

Harmonia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well... this might sound weird, but I'm not interested in Homebrew all that much. Only the custom music for Smash 4 which uses Caffine (and I presume only works with the Kernel Exploit and not userland.) @soneek has said he plans to release in February and I presume the Kernel Exploit/IOSU Exploit will release around the same time. That's why I just kind of want to update since people claimed they haven't been patched yet. So, I guess I just need some clarification on what's going on as there is a lot of conflicting sources.

Stay on the lowest firmware you can for now. Information on 5.5.1 is still being gathered so it's definitely safer to stay on 5.5.0 or lower.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Cafiine uses kernel, 5.5.1 still has kernel, but webkit is patched.

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country

@Hykem and @soneek are directly working together, so it's likely that they won't release their work at the same time. While waiting for @soneek 's work just use caffiine for custom music (Note that you can only use the library available on the site)

Zeroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I agree with the devs no release before nintendo stop updating or the exploit is fixed... because if nintendo dont know the entry point they cant fix it so fast.

But i hope for IOSU it come soon for more stable and without everytime to install.

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thank you guys. I'll just wait a little while until things get cleared up. I just thought I heard a February release window for both Hykem's IOSU Exploit and soneek's Custom Music Tools and assumed they'd release in the exact same time frame. I guess I'm back to my wait and see approach.

saito1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it already possible to play Wii games from the eShop on WiiU on 5.3.2, or not yet?

I mean this:

It'd have a lot of advantages, because you don't need WiiMote this way...

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's this if anyone on 5.4 wants to play around, I kinda gutted the Makefile since it hates to compile normally. For all intents and purposes, 5.4.0 is the same as 5.3.2, since the OS wasn't updated, so you should be able to just grab code532.bin. 5.5.0 also works with the MP4 userspace, you just don't have access to kernel :P
I was messing around with writing to the framebuffer and my code is probably very awful but it mostly works. It's just the 0xF4000000 region, RGBA8 (4 bytes, R, G, B, A), double buffered, you can get the resolution and buffer size with some math and OSScreenGetBufferSizeEx (bufferNum, 0 is TV, 1 is Gamepad), EG 1280(width) * 720(height) * 4(bytes) * 2(buffers) bytes on my end.

Attachments

• FramebufferTesting.zip
    47 KB · Views: 165

epicmartin7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... so I made a summary for some of the people on SmashBoards who are interested in Smash 4 Custom Music.
So, here's so more information I gathered from GBATemp.

Apparently, there are three exploits in development with one that was already released.

- Userland: This is the weakest form of the exploits. It's really only good for very weak homebrew and can't modify existing games. This exploit was patched in 5.5.1 as it used an MP4 vulnerability (the system would read a corrupted video to generate code.) It was released for users on 5.4.0 and 5.5.0 a couple hours ago.

- Kernel: This is essentially the middle ground of the bunch. While it doesn't allow full level control over the system and doesn't give the entire power of the console, it does give you the ability to modify pre-existing title (game modding) and more powerful homebrew. As well as Game "Back-ups". This exploit was not patched in 5.5.1 and has yet to be released.

- IOSU: So... this is essentially the mother of all exploits. It allows for system level control of the console and could lead to modifications to the Console's Operating System (for things like Custom Firmware) and Emulation of the Systems Firmware on a different device. This means the system would be cracked wide open and you could use the entire power of the console as well as the entire hardware. All the features of the past exploits are there as well. This exploit was not patched in 5.5.1 and has yet to be released.

So, the only two exploits that can work with the Smash Custom Music Tool releasing in February have not been technically patched yet. So in essence, you could theoretically update your console right now if you wanted. As Hykem's IOSU exploits is rumored to be released in February along side the Smash tool and the final DLC pack for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

In my own personal recommendation though, if you are looking for Custom Music, I would wait just a little while longer to update your Console. Information is still coming out about the latest firmware and plans do tend to change. I'll keep you guys updated on this current situation.
Is there anything I could add or I'm potentially missing/got wrong?

Reactions: SrTommy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, when your wife kicks you out BOVONO Prefabricated Tiny Home, Mobile Prefab House with...