Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to use the GX in Wii U mode? (with cafe os and everything), or we have to switch to a "semi vWii mode" where we get the new hardware of Wii U but no CafeOS/IOSU.
To i.e. run Wii games in HD you'd need to emulate GX. Tangentially related - OSv1 will let you run Wii titles with gamepad controls and etc, and while it seems to have disk support as well I haven't actually tried it yet.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it possible to use the GX in Wii U mode? (with cafe os and everything), or we have to switch to a "semi vWii mode" where we get the new hardware of Wii U but no CafeOS/IOSU.

This was something I tried, but it is unlikely to be possible. On the Wii, the GX command processor is mapped to 0x0C000000, but this is where the Espresso Processor Interface is in Wii U mode. Other hardware, like the DSP, has also been shifted to other MMIO addresses. This indicates that the MMIO registers are completely reconfigured when entering vWii mode, and there's probably some complicated routine to do this in cafe2wii. It may be possible to isolate part of the routine and use it once we have IOSU kernel access, but it's probably not easy.

D

Deleted User

So, I've got good news and bad news.
The bad news is that I'm going to postpone the release again. I said this week would be a more realistic release date, but I never confirmed it would happen then. Still, it's not a huge delay and it's definitely not to wait for a new firmware update.
Like I stated before, I have the entire month of January free just to work on this and the exploit will be released and maintained before February (yes, I'm sure of that).
Now the good news, which should explain the additional delay. I need some time to pursue something I found in the MCP module. If I'm correct about this, we should be able to get a boot-time exploit. The reason for that is that the MCP module is responsible for launching "master" titles (like the PPC kernel, for example) and I found a bug that, if it turns out to be exploitable, should allow to hijack execution while MCP is still preparing to launch stuff. This means, early IOSU access and a direct boot into an exploitable environment. Not to mention that MCP is the IOSU user module with most privileges (next to BSP that is) and having access to it alone is more than enough to own the IOSU kernel at any given time.
I believe it's important to look into this because if it works, no one will have to worry about possibly bricking consoles by installing custom titles (homebrew channel, for example) and then attempting to launch them before triggering the exploit again after a fresh boot.

With that said, if this turns out to be nothing, I'll release the exploit right away.
YEAAAAAAAAH!!!!! Hykem is the BOMB!!!

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
I've softmod my vWii and grab some backup loaders .. but I didn't know how to play a game that I downloaded! ! Is it drag-and-drop into my hard drive or I need a special way to get it working! ?

Thanks

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've softmod my vWii and grab some backup loaders .. but I didn't know how to play a game that I downloaded! ! Is it drag-and-drop into my hard drive or I need a special way to get it working! ?

Thanks
lol just follow any wii usbloader gx tutorial, vwii is basicaly a wii so all the setup for the wii is the same and not its not drag and drop to the hdd depeding on the loader your using and format and whatnot.

This is for Wiiu side hacking not vwii side since that side is all unlocked same as the wii.

Reactions: memomo

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
I seriously haven't been keeping up to date with all the goings on with the Wii U hacking scene, so ya...

well to be fair i dont know either , but surely its crediar subtly inferring hes working on a UNEEK for wiiU and thinking on naming it UNEK , this could be way off the mark .. but its seems like hes suggesting this.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii