Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually not even an IOSU exploit would allow that, you'd have to defeat the loader because now it checks if the program is legit both at install time and every time you open it, so even if you were somehow able to install it you couldn't make it boot.

Ah, right. Is the loader part of IOSU?

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, right. Is the loader part of IOSU?

No, the loader is PowerPC code with higher privileges, though still limited to userspace. Since it handles RPX/RPL loading, it has the ability to make memory writable and executable. NWP is somewhat mistaken about its role. IOSU's security code verifies titles that it launches, and Cafe OS invokes the loader to actually put the executable and its libraries in memory.

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually not even an IOSU exploit would allow that, you'd have to defeat the loader because now it checks if the program is legit both at install time and every time you open it, so even if you were somehow able to install it you couldn't make it boot.

Basically like the 3DS then. Gateway got a userland browser exploit which then triggers a kernel exploit to let them boot into a custom firmware. Installed apps are non-persistent and won't boot in the "normal" system menu.

So basically the same should be doable for the Wii U, shouldn't it? :P

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically like the 3DS then. Gateway got a userland browser exploit which then triggers a kernel exploit to let them boot into a custom firmware. Installed apps are non-persistent and won't boot in the "normal" system menu.

So basically the same should be doable for the Wii U, shouldn't it? :P

Theoretically, yes, you could port Linux or MN1's DarkSide OS, or a custom firmware and boot into it.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Theoretically, yes, you could port Linux or MN1's DarkSide OS, or a custom firmware and boot into it.
That sounds like quite a lot of possibilities. You devs have really achieved a lot and i know a lot of people are grateful for your work on this.

I just wonder why there seems to be so little interest from most people who matter (other devs) on developing a homebrew 'framework' for the wii U?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds like quite a lot of possibilities. You devs have really achieved a lot and i know a lot of people are grateful for your work on this.

I just wonder why there seems to be so little interest from most people who matter (other devs) on developing a homebrew 'framework' for the wii U?

I'm sure the interest will be there once kernel stuff is public and development on a framework can actually start.

Reactions: VinsCool

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For future reference, does a use-after-free bug with a working LayoutTest mean you've found an exploitable bug?

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I looked at another thread (can't remember where, it was a few days ago) where someone is reverse engineering Gatway's code & looking into how they get the launcher.dat to boot through the new webkit exploit. Would it even be possible to go down the emunand route with the wii u?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at another thread (can't remember where, it was a few days ago) where someone is reverse engineering Gatway's code & looking into how they get the launcher.dat to boot through the new webkit exploit. Would it even be possible to go down the emunand route with the wii u?

It depends on how various modules interact with the system nand, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Reactions: KungFuzion

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my question from a long time ago still stands. If games and most software run in userspace, can we store our programs on the system as browser save-data.

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any progress evaluating my bug? I know there isn't a definitive conclusion (you would have told me), but have you looked into it yet?

f0a1a0e1473bf5e5174b699b5d84d081b0bdc1b9820135c12453d93476157b39.jpg

Kurausukun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a super non-sequitur, but I need an answer: Does DiscU work on Windows 7 x64? Because on my system, it seems to be missing some dependencies that are Windows 8-only (though this could be an error).

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a super non-sequitur, but I need an answer: Does DiscU work on Windows 7 x64? Because on my system, it seems to be missing some dependencies that are Windows 8-only (though this could be an error).

I see no reason why it shouldn't work, I don't have Windows 7 to test though. What specifically does it say?
EDIT: Also, can we continue this dicussion over here?

DrunkenMonk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This.
and it's not "your" bug.

He's using it as a form of reference, it's not him attempting to gloat or anything.
It's shorter than writing "on that bug which was posted earlier by me?" since he has only posted one 'bug'. It's simpler for everybody if he labels it as such.
No confusing references in between, just solid information.

Please let us just not argue semantics, and keep the discussion civil.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but how did they go bankrupt?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or rather, why?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm about to buy a $200 flash cart
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think I have a 256GB card in my 3DS lol
    It's a New 3DS XL so it's still under warranty... If it ever breaks gonna make Nintendo fix it lol You said it was new.... For eternity!!!
    But my 3DS is loaded with emulators and 3DS games and DS games and GBA games probably thousands of games in total lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb going with my dad
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, are most of those games shovelware?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah gotta buy 3 1tb SD cards for 3ds the entire libraries need archived in my home
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    >buys x3 1TB SD cards
    >stores the entire 3DS library on them
    >installs CFW
    >realised why I wasted loads of money and resources
    +2
    Lol no I clean my sets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cause it's in my home ready to go
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like uremum
    But 100 games on SNES and Genesis and GBA then TG16 and NES and GB and GBC then all the other random systems and arcade games it all adds up lol
    +1
    Virtual Boy alone has probably 5 games!!! Lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I won't mention any names in chat but some of us wastes $300 on preloaded hdds :tpi:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, The PS5 had none.
    +2
    Lol I spent more than that on a stuffed 4TB drive lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I've yet to fill the 1tb internal drive on my ps5
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, 1) except final fantasy 16. 2) why would I have a console's whole catalogue if most of the games are either shovelware or terrible games?
    Kind of a waste, but the allure of all those games over 100,000
    Some shovel ware with low ratings you might enjoy more than the ratings would sugest
    +1
    Cruisn on the Wii is one of my personal examples of that, it's considered one of the worst games of all time, I loved it and completed it several times.
    +1
    The trick for me was to go into the settings and crank up the Wiimote sensitivity to the max and it gets twitchy but you can win that way lol
    Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lots of other games I enjoyed that reviews would say otherwise lol