Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we just ban this kelton2 kid from posting here already.

You can't just ban members because they're kids. It's not there's a notice that you have to be 13 to join the forum.

Whoops looks like sarcasm doesn't work here because there isn't the typical notice when you goto register.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this may be off topic, but all I want in homebrew is game mods and fw spoofing. I don't understand why so many people are waiting for emulators on the Wii U when there are hundreds of emus for computers.

Here we go again, gee, I don't know, maybe not everyone has a computer to play emulators with? Makes you think, doesn't it? Wii U's gonna have emulators whether you like it or not once it's fully hacked. The official emulators on the Wii U OS just plain suck, hackers would port much superior emulators over anyways.

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thaaaaat being said, not having any access to boot1 to modify/glitch makes that pretty much impossible. I guess I'll sit on this for a while.
who says its only the boot1 stage thats susceptible? my understanding is this can be used at any stage in the boot chain, even exiting vwii mode.

edit: I'm not trying to argue or anything, just making relevant conversation. I'm a happy guy :)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who says its only the boot1 stage thats susceptible? my understanding is this can be used at any stage in the boot chain, even exiting vwii mode.
The issue with that statement is that exiting vWii is really just doing a full reset of the console, so it just loops back to needing boot1. But I do like your thought process, maybe boot2 is vulnerable or something?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to look into whether or not anything useful can be done with a reset glitch. Attacking the system as it boots into Wii U mode would be a pretty reasonable way to gain control of everything. Being an RGLoader dev for a bit made me really appreciate patching a system as it boots, I suppose.

Thaaaaat being said, not having any access to boot1 to modify/glitch makes that pretty much impossible. I guess I'll sit on this for a while.
I thought it was possible to download boot1 from NUS. I could be mistaken though.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Would knowing any other key apart from the common key, make acheiving full access over the wii u any easier from where we currently stand?

E.g. If team f0f or comex or anyone else decided to give/release another type of key.... Would we suddenly go from where we are to having full access?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would knowing any other key apart from the common key, make acheiving full access over the wii u any easier from where we currently stand?

E.g. If team f0f or comex or anyone else decided to give/release another type of key.... Would we suddenly go from where we are to having full access?

Not really, with the ancast keys and the common key we have access to all binaries through NUS making research much easier.
EDIT: But you still have to exploit the system, there's no getting past that.

FusionGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: what exactly is Trinux? Is it basically a "new" OS for the Wii U that's Linux?

If I'm correct, then would installing Trinux onto a Wii U be like installing Ubuntu onto the iPhone? (The iPhone can "only" run Apple approved software without jailbreaking/dev account and Wii U can only run Nintendo approved software, hence the comparisons.)

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trinux is a Linux port designed to run on the Espresso, taking full advantage of the SMP support. It has been able to execute via the race attack fail0verflow detailed almost 2 years ago, but so far the SMP support has not come yet. Right now, it also only runs in vWii mode, but I assume people would try to support Wii U hardware once running PPC kernel-mode code is possible. However, porting Linux isn't really for the purpose of giving people a new OS. fail0verflow's idea was always to use Linux as an environment for writing Wii U homebrew. The APIs people know are already on Linux, so it'd be easier than reversing and learning Cafe OS APIs. Of course, game mods (something I personally am interested in) couldn't run through Trinux, but it would be a good environment for homebrew development.

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
No need to sniff anything, just check an update digest and grab files over http. That or build the modified NUS Downloader that someone tweaked for Wii U.

So I downloaded and built the NUS Downloader, thanks for that, threw the CommonKey and downloaded OSv11 . Next question...what they heck am I looking at once I've downloaded them. Sorry for this, I've never actually tried console hacking and its all new to me.

Onion_Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
Not to sound offensive, but if you've never tried console hacking maybe you should start a bit simpler.

eh...like I said, I've never tried console hacking. I've written homebrew before and am good with C and Python and x86 assembly. If you don't try something new, you will never grow.

So, I figured out you had to use Crediar's cDecrypt on the tmd and cetk with the common key to decrypt and I get the decrypted title key. How do I use that to decrypt the contents?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The day when an homebrew launcher is made, Will be the day I will seriously contribute to an homebrew scene :)
I'm still on the way of learning programming. The wiiU would be a fun platform to experiment :P

Of course there also is 3ds, but I don't have as much interest right now.
Sometime I feel I'm too young to know anything, but then I realize MN1 is 15...
Anything is possible :D

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was possible to download boot1 from NUS. I could be mistaken though.

I think you're right, actually! I'll look into it.

eh...like I said, I've never tried console hacking. I've written homebrew before and am good with C and Python and x86 assembly. If you don't try something new, you will never grow.

So, I figured out you had to use Crediar's cDecrypt on the tmd and cetk with the common key to decrypt and I get the decrypted title key. How do I use that to decrypt the contents?

Download all the titles too. If you have the tmd, cetk, and all the titles in the same folder, CDecrypt will decrypt and sort all the files from the titles for you. Then you'll have all the system binaries with proper names and such.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Agreed.
I know some C++, and earlier today made my first 3DS homebrew. I think I can try something with the Wii U.

I can easyly do a "hello world" without issues on any platform. My post was targeting "real" homebrews.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/PRMX5mX-hvs?si=JdjNrndYJ7PelC7q