Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by filfat, Jun 15, 2014.

1. KungFuzion

KungFuzion GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2015
    I got back from a 3 week holiday in Australia on Monday & jumped back on GBAtemp. I noticed that there was a confirmed IOSU exploit in the works for 5.5.1 so I made the jump from 5.3.2 before Ninty decide to do anything to jeopardize the easy update :)

Deleted-355425 likes this.
  2. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Wait what? Seriously?

Can you guys confirm this?

3. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It's been confirmed by the devs a while ago.
    Update to 5.5.1 and block everything, SALT is working on IOSU kernel.

memomo and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
  5. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    I'm so fucking afraid now that this is once again a troll-message and after that they're like "Haha fuckers!", we once had this already...

6. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but does anyone with access to the IOSU hack and a bunch of different types of SDXC (64GB) cards mind to test the read/write speeds to the SD card? I'm asking because of the upcoming RedNAND, and you'd want one that is as fast as is supported by the hardware, which isn't really known. You can buy them from say 233x speed (45 MB/s) to 1000x speed (150MB/s) and higher (the higher the speed, the more expensive of course). New expensive digital cameras actually communicate at these faster speeds, but what's the fastest the WiiU hardware supports? Are we going to be OK with an el-cheapo 45MB/s one?

7. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    highly unlikely, it's the official kernel exploit devs, and some others are also working on that.
    I highly doubt they'd do that just to troll us.

Even if it is a troll move, we don't lose anything by updating to 5.5.1, we have the exact same privileges in terms of homebrew right now as a 5.3.2 user.

CJB100 and the_randomizer like this.
  8. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Okay, thanks, I'll try to update (I hope the hacked vWii won't interfere with this now, heard a bit of other people having troubles...)

Anyways, I was kind of inactive the last few weeks to months on the whole Wii U hacking stuff since there was almost no progress regarding new and better stuff (except the homebrew launcher).

9. i understand your logic but even if they are lying then you still have full kexploit access so what's the worry?

I have a seperate wii U on 3.1.0E that im sitting on, if IOSU deliverers i may update that one too before Nintendo release an update.

10. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Before that I did not know that 5.5.1 users have the same rights as 5.3.2 users already ;)

Deleted-355425 likes this.
  11. AboodXD

AboodXD I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.

Oct 11, 2014
    United Arab Emirates
    Not under a rock.
    Oh, I remember those guys who said "We're going to brick vWii, so are WiiUs won't update!!!1!11", they're so screwed... :rofl2::P

memomo likes this.
  12. KungFuzion

KungFuzion GBAtemp Fan

Feb 5, 2015
    You don't lose out on anything. Good things are around the corner :)

13. punderino

punderino aka Big-PeePee Swinger

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Yeah, there's no reason to stay on 5.5.0.

14. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    AFAIK the IOSU isn't quite like the Wii's - It's more like a proper OS than whatever the Wii had. It's still pretty similar, however. You have a kernel (which does kernel things and not much else) and a bunch of processes (aka modules) that do the various tasks the IOSU is responsible for (title management, USB driving etc.) The difference from the Wii is that they aren't treated as separate titles - the NUS hosts one file (fw.img) that's the whole IOSU. Thus you can't just pop some code into an unused IOS slot because there are no slots; you'd have to modify the kernel to load up an extra module or replace an existing module.

There's still some notion of vulnerabilities being carried through versions, it's just not quite as clear-cut as the Wii. Scroll down the Wiki page to see what I mean (all the good stuff's down the bottom).

uhshax (documented on the Wiki) seems to be a bug in IOS-USB that lets you screw with memory (to a degree). I'd imagine it'd be present in most versions (unless Nintendo completely rewrote the USB stuff recently) but the actual implementation of it would have different addresses and things based on your FW version. This didn't stop the kexploits being backported, however. I'm going to assume that the exploit that's "just around the corner" is uhshax since Wulfy refused to tell me if it was "in case Nintendo patches it". If she'd said "no" it wouldn't have shown Nintendo anything; thus the answer is probably yes. [Insert Ace Attorney reference]

15. FoxofGrey

FoxofGrey Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2016
    United States
    So who's going to release the exploit first?

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Thank you QuarkTheAwesome for the precision.
    I didn't do a lot of search yet about the way the wiiu is working. I'll have to look at wiiubrew.

17. WulfyStylez

WulfyStylez SALT/Bemani Princess

Nov 3, 2013
    United States
    Everyone (afaik) who had their own exploit implementations and wanted to eventually release are coordinating with us so we don't have people stepping on toes or redoing already-complete work. It'll be just one solid release. Should also help to avoid the bizarre eighteen-quintillion-cfws situation the 3DS has.

18. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Guru

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I wonder. If/when something gets released if we would be able to package up the 5.5.1 update with it. You would think at that point we'd have read/write access to the nand and be able to flash the update. Fingers crossed. That'd be cool!

19. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    That's relieving. the 3ds scene is messy, and the WiiU scene is hopefully not becoming like it.

20. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Yes but I wouldn't recommend it if you can help it, even if you can, you're better of doing it normally :\ most of the NAND stuff is too basic and just, do it now while you can with the System Updater

Cybernatus likes this.