Hardware Wii U GPU confirmed!

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 6,741
  • Replies 43
  • Likes 5

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I wanted to hate the Wii-U. I really did, but at this point it looks like I'm going to be getting one anyway. Even if it's second-hand.

The platform shows so much promise that Dev teams would have to be entirely comprised of brain dead quadriplegic chimps to not make a game with innovative controls and/or gameplay, and make it look good to boot.

Reactions: 1 person

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still skeptical how the Wii U will hold up NEXT generation. I'm hoping it'll still be OK seeing as I like Nintendo, but I've also lost a lot of trust in Nintendo over the years.

So I'm VERY skeptical still.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I'm still skeptical how the Wii U will hold up NEXT generation. I'm hoping it'll still be OK seeing as I like Nintendo, but I've also lost a lot of trust in Nintendo over the years.

With this GPU, they’ll certainly fare quite well against the likes of the PS4/720. While it won't be as powerful as the other two consoles, this is most definitely competent enough.

In terms of specs, the Wii U is shaping up to have a similar power-gap with the PS4 as the Dreamcast/PS2 compared to the Xbox.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
Its just a shame that the Wii U is so severely bottlenecked by its weaksauce CPU that it isnt even capable of rendering games at full 1080p HD. :(

:arrow: source
lMHgn.jpg

@everyone else

These Wii U games are said to run in native 1080p.
  • Scribblenauts Unlimited
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
  • Transformers Prime
  • Toki Tori 2
  • Dragon Quest X

Reactions: 3 people

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that this GPU has a clock of 600MHz, and that the audio DSP will likely remain clocked at 121.5MHz for Wii backwards compatibility, we might just fill in the blanks for the other clock speeds in the system. Wii BC might also indicate a surprisingly similar architecture for Wii U.

This is pure speculation, but if we use the Gamecube and Wii for reference:

1. The CPU multiplier would be a multiple of 3 (15,18,21 or 24x multipliers)
2. Memory clock would be 2/3 CPU clock
3. GPU clock would be 1/3 CPU clock
4. Audio DSP would run at base clock: 121.5MHz

15x CPU multiplier:
121.5MHz x 5 = 607.5MHz GPU (583.2 GFLOPS) Higher than rumored: 2.43 x Xenos
607.5MHz x 2 = 1215MHz Memory
607.5MHz x 3 = 1822.5MHz CPU

This jibes with the small form factor, 75W power supply, and comments from developers about the GPU being somewhat stronger than the CPU.

Or 18x CPU multiplier:
729MHz GPU (699.84 GFLOPS) Very high: 2.916 x Xenos
1458MHz Memory
2187MHz CPU

But, the GPU is already overclocked in this scenario, and it begins to seem as if a 75W power brick might not cut it. The GPU could then be downclocked to 364.5MHz (@ about 21W) which would give us 349.92 GFLOPS. This is still 1.458 x Xenos' 240 GFLOPS. These numbers are based on an unmodified E6760 which does 576 GFLOPS @ 600MHz @ 35W.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its just a shame that the Wii U is so severely bottlenecked by its weaksauce CPU that it isnt even capable of rendering games at full 1080p HD. :(

:arrow: source

I'd like to see a CPU render games at full 1080p HD. Care to link to one?
A CPU by itself does not render games since that kind of thing should be left to a GPU, however there are CPUs with integrated GPUs capable of doing exactly what you mention. From on top of my head the AMD Fusions and the later Intel Core iX series are capable of just that.

Reactions: 1 person

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country

With this GPU, they'll certainly fare quite well against the likes of the PS4/720. While it won't be as powerful as the other two consoles, this is most definitely competent enough.

In terms of specs, the Wii U is shaping up to have a similar power-gap with the PS4 as the Dreamcast/PS2 compared to the Xbox.

People keep betting on the next generation MS and Sony consoles to be significantly more powerful than the current gen, but I'm thinking that it's about time their R&D teams took a quick look at history and realised that the powerhouses rarely win the console wars. I wouldn't be surprised if they just aimed to match the Wii U's power―or beat it slightly―and tried to do something innovative, for a change.

They'll have a year or two to get something a little better for the same price, but I'm not sure Sony want to repeat what happened with the PS3, given their substantial losses over the last few years and the time it took for the console to achieve profitability. They did all that because they were complacent, they won the PSX and PS2 generations and got sloppy thinking that everyone would buy a PS3 no matter what price tag they stuck on it, I can't see them making the same mistake all over again.

As for Microsoft, I believe they'll pull a Nintendo in the next generation, tape two Xboxes together and try to push Kinect more.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans