Wii U Dev Kit for Sale (eBAY)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Devin, May 17, 2013.

1. Devin
    OP

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Sauce

Seems to be going for $305 in bids, with 9 days left.

2. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Maybe Marcan or others may like this (or some looking to hack system).

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    How in the world did they get a hold of that? Either way, it could be useful for homebrew....:creep:

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If it works anything like the 3DS devkits, a given piece of software written on the devkit will only work on the devkit and not retail units - this greatly limits its usability as a tool.

tronic307 and Ray Lewis like this.
  5. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    1. fail0verflow already completely hacked the WiiU. So no, this will not be useful to them
    2. dev kits are almost always available early in a console's life, it never leads to homebrew. As Foxi4 said, stuff written for devkits only works on devkits, and isn't useful for actual homebrew on retail consoles.

On a side note, looks like this is a fairly early model. Says it was supposed to be returned November 2011, and that Game Pad looks practically archaic.

6. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Okay, only a thought. Hey, Sifjar, what do you know about PPC, Linux, computer coding? Lol.

7. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I can't see how any of those things are related to this topic, for starters.

Taleweaver likes this.
  8. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    You said homebrew;-) Devkit just sort of "feels" like it is related to that. Maybe talk to Maxternal if you have skills for what I asked about. Put the confidence and skills to work, lol.

9. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    it has the old style gampad

10. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I don't.

11. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    For some reason I doubt that but okay....

12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    I saved a copy of all 12 photos as those will be removed when Nintendo pulls the auction. its not often anymore that people post that many pics a dev unit, especially an early one that uses the thumb sliders that were canned after the e3 2011 early demonstration.

13. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    I haven't got a clue about PPC architecture (or any other processor architecture for that matter, much too low level for me), I have only used Linux about twice, and each time it was booting a virtual machine for a short period of time just for the sake of it, and I know next to nothing of coding, in any language. I know a bare minimum of C (nothing like what would be required to implement the WiiU stuff you're talking about), and a very small amount of Python (which would be completely useless for WiiU stuff).

I might give the impression I know more than I actually do, but what I do know is mostly conceptual rather than actual practical knowledge/skills.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  14. tronic307

tronic307 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    United States
    It's toast.

15. Slimmmmmm

Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

Nov 1, 2007
    the land of lol
    Devkits can in theory be more secure than the console itself.

With either the WiiU or the devkit you can do nothing, you still need the tools and knowledge to do anything other that what it's intentions allow.

Would be cool to own one though just to "catch them all". ;)

16. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    how long do you think it will take till ebay pulls this? :P

LOL @ below :ph34r:

17. julialy

julialy Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Eww, looks like a piece of crap. How long do you think until this is pulled from Ebay

18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    wow it's still there?! :wtf:

19. izzydeank

izzydeank Banned

Banned
    Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    Its not going to be pulled. Others have sold before on ebay. There was also a dolphin gamecube dev kit last time I checked on ebay. Does no good though. There basically just cool for collectibles.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    As far as I know, devkits often look archaic in comparison to the target console you're developing for - they're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to be useful (hence that huge coaxial antenna extension socket sticking out of the gamepad). The late revisions may look "nice", but as you mentioned, the early ones... not so much. Sometimes the parts don't even match colour-wise. :P