Hardware Wii U Dev Kit for Sale (eBAY)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How in the world did they get a hold of that? Either way, it could be useful for homebrew....:creep:
If it works anything like the 3DS devkits, a given piece of software written on the devkit will only work on the devkit and not retail units - this greatly limits its usability as a tool.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Interesting, thanks for sharing this. Maybe Marcan or others may like this (or some looking to hack system).
1. fail0verflow already completely hacked the WiiU. So no, this will not be useful to them
2. dev kits are almost always available early in a console's life, it never leads to homebrew. As Foxi4 said, stuff written for devkits only works on devkits, and isn't useful for actual homebrew on retail consoles.

On a side note, looks like this is a fairly early model. Says it was supposed to be returned November 2011, and that Game Pad looks practically archaic.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. fail0verflow already completely hacked the WiiU. So no, this will not be useful to them
2. dev kits are almost always available early in a console's life, it never leads to homebrew. As Foxi4 said, stuff written for devkits only works on devkits, and isn't useful for actual homebrew on retail consoles.
Okay, only a thought. Hey, Sifjar, what do you know about PPC, Linux, computer coding? Lol.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't see how any of those things are related to this topic, for starters.
You said homebrew;-) Devkit just sort of "feels" like it is related to that. Maybe talk to Maxternal if you have skills for what I asked about. Put the confidence and skills to work, lol.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saved a copy of all 12 photos as those will be removed when Nintendo pulls the auction. its not often anymore that people post that many pics a dev unit, especially an early one that uses the thumb sliders that were canned after the e3 2011 early demonstration.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For some reason I doubt that but okay....
I haven't got a clue about PPC architecture (or any other processor architecture for that matter, much too low level for me), I have only used Linux about twice, and each time it was booting a virtual machine for a short period of time just for the sake of it, and I know next to nothing of coding, in any language. I know a bare minimum of C (nothing like what would be required to implement the WiiU stuff you're talking about), and a very small amount of Python (which would be completely useless for WiiU stuff).

I might give the impression I know more than I actually do, but what I do know is mostly conceptual rather than actual practical knowledge/skills.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Devkits can in theory be more secure than the console itself.

With either the WiiU or the devkit you can do nothing, you still need the tools and knowledge to do anything other that what it's intentions allow.

Would be cool to own one though just to "catch them all". ;)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
On a side note, looks like this is a fairly early model. Says it was supposed to be returned November 2011, and that Game Pad looks practically archaic.
As far as I know, devkits often look archaic in comparison to the target console you're developing for - they're not supposed to be pretty, they're supposed to be useful (hence that huge coaxial antenna extension socket sticking out of the gamepad). The late revisions may look "nice", but as you mentioned, the early ones... not so much. Sometimes the parts don't even match colour-wise. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead