Wii U controller had analogue sticks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would really prefer an analog stick. I cannot see how the circle pad is superior unless I'm missing something.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What's the operating word? The circle pad is as analog as an analog stick. Maybe you meant to highlight the stick part instead?
The names are slider and stick or nub. You are correct, they're both analog.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
I would really prefer an analog stick. I cannot see how the circle pad is superior unless I'm missing something.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What's the operating word? The circle pad is as analog as an analog stick. Maybe you meant to highlight the stick part instead?

I bolded the word becuase someone spelt "analog" as "analogue". Both spellings are correct. One is just used more than the other. (Similar to the word colour/color) I was just trying to troll that person. NBD.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is obvious why the circle paws were picked. The controller would be just plain uncomfy having to hold it with the normal analogs. At the least it would cause some straining.

On a personal note I prefer circle pads, they are really comfy. The only problem is they are easier to slip off of, a problem I've encountered with 360 controllers as well.

Reactions: 1 person

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you guys look into the other pics? (I didn't think they are to scale.)
2yelan.jpg
2a2wl4m.jpg

There are more of course.
I can understand the use of sliders on the 3DS - the console is a clamshell and the lid requires the nub to be as flat as possible. On the WiiU though it just looks as if they ordered a whole bunch of those sliders and now have to get rid of their stock.

I'll be perfectly honest, *nothing* justifies their use on the WiiU controller, at all. They're less pleasant to use, they tire the thumbs quicker and they prevent Nintendo from putting a button under it, effectively cutting 2 buttons from the controller. It's a stupid choice, it's purely stylistic and I will complain about it as soon as I get a WiiU anyways. :creep:
The wii u sliders are thicker, so it shouldn't be exactly the same, specially base of people who actually use it at e3 and ces.
Maybe they was trying to go more for comfort?

I mean I'm ok with them one way or another.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
It is obvious why the circle paws were picked. The controller would be just plain uncomfy having to hold it with the normal analogs. At the least it would cause some straining.

On a personal note I prefer circle pads, they are really comfy. The only problem is they are easier to slip off of, a problem I've encountered with 360 controllers as well.

This. I bet circle pads feel a LOT better on a tablet than 'normal' analogue (note the proper English :P) sticks. Plus, I quite like the circle pads, they feel sleek and fit with the rest of the tablet's design.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Best solution would be to add the best parts of a Stick and a Slider. In other words (for a PS3 example): http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/-/3707/2974/-/17268366/GXP-Game-Grip-Comfort-Play-Pack/Product.html. The example here has quite a bit more than just the thumb add-ons, but that's not really the point. IMHO the PSP Go slider wasn't that good, but the PS3 stick is something usable, but tends to slip when playing an FPS for example. So far the 3DS hasn't had any game which would benefit from the said example, but the WiiU could have dozens, maybe hundreds of examples :3

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Best solution would be to add the best parts of a Stick and a Slider. In other words (for a PS3 example): http://www.play.com/...ck/Product.html. The example here has quite a bit more than just the thumb add-ons, but that's not really the point. IMHO the PSP Go slider wasn't that good, but the PS3 stick is something usable, but tends to slip when playing an FPS for example. So far the 3DS hasn't had any game which would benefit from the said example, but the WiiU could have dozens, maybe hundreds of examples :3

There is still the problem of reach in that case. You mentioned the go and that is also an example in something that really makes you reach for the stick. Making some games (3rd birthday, or resistance) strain your palm with the way you have to hold the PSP. It could just be me though.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Best solution would be to add the best parts of a Stick and a Slider. In other words (for a PS3 example): http://www.play.com/...ck/Product.html. The example here has quite a bit more than just the thumb add-ons, but that's not really the point. IMHO the PSP Go slider wasn't that good, but the PS3 stick is something usable, but tends to slip when playing an FPS for example. So far the 3DS hasn't had any game which would benefit from the said example, but the WiiU could have dozens, maybe hundreds of examples :3

There is still the problem of reach in that case. You mentioned the go and that is also an example in something that really makes you reach for the stick. Making some games (3rd birthday, or resistance) strain your palm with the way you have to hold the PSP. It could just be me though.
The reason why I said the PSP Go slider wasn't good :P It had potential, but the placement of the slider was a bit off compared to the way it was used + the whole design of the PSP Go. Just like the 3DS could possibly have problems with the Circle Pad Pro add-on and A, B, X and Y buttons of the 3DS. Something that I'd avoid with the WiiU controller :I

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: 2 people

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think the circle pads are much better.

They look better, take up less room, and feel more natural. I don't have this problem, but if you have smaller hands, it's probably better too.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
And I'm discussing analog sticks.
Looks off-topic coming into this thread saying how the PSP/Vita analogue sticks suck.
Not as much as the person that started flame baiting. Once again, you came into here trying to start something with me, and succeeded

Saying something is one things, but telling the reasons why something sucks is another. This is something that happens to be missing in many replies in general..

The sticks DO suck.. He was just saying he's glad that Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake Sony did. There's nothing wrong with that...

Anywho, time will tell what the final product will be. Until then? Speculation yo... /////////

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I like the circlepad approach more than sticks. They might feel awkward on a tablet controller.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And I'm discussing analog sticks.
Looks off-topic coming into this thread saying how the PSP/Vita analogue sticks suck.
Not as much as the person that started flame baiting. Once again, you came into here trying to start something with me, and succeeded

Saying something is one things, but telling the reasons why something sucks is another. This is something that happens to be missing in many replies in general..
The sticks DO suck.. He was just saying he's glad that Nintendo doesn't make the same mistake Sony did. There's nothing wrong with that...
Indeed what I wrote: What sucks in the Sony sticks? Your answer doesn't tell anything more than "X sucks, but Y is just so much better!". Imagine that someone has never tried any of the said analogs. What would they think? "Oh gee, Nintendo must have superior analogs because.. Oh they didn't say why.. Bummer.."

Personally the slider is a bit of a step back because the feel isn't as much "3D" compared to the PS3/360. Personally, I don't like using a) slippery controllers (PSP-1004, PSP Go, PS3 (without add-ons), 3DS, hell even partially the GC controller (examples are controllers/consoles I own and have used more), b) controllers that are hard to calibrate for different games (PSP Go, 3DS), c) controllers that don't have a certain 0-point (PS3 and all such controllers (360, a lot of PC game pads)).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw&list=RDPKZFk5t3czs&index=7&pp=8AUB