GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
Ok i already know your not in it for warez(as you typed those words to me) .. so im assuming you have a massive list of amazing homebrew that would supercede your need for eshop / online gaming / miiverse etc ?

ANYTHING a n00b would make with the Wii U SDK would be 1000 times better than 90% of the junk on the eShop.
Homebrew will be jumping of the walls if this is true.
Also online with the Wii U sucks ball's and Miverse is meh.

Finally, who were you directing that post to as you haven't quoted anyone.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ANYTHING a n00b would make with the Wii U SDK would be 1000 times better than 90% of the junk on the eShop.
Homebrew will be jumping of the walls if this is true.
Also online with the Wii U sucks ball's and Miverse is meh.

Finally, who were you directing that post to as you haven't quoted anyone.

I'm thinking it was probably me, not sure though.

Ok i already know your not in it for warez(as you typed those words to me) .. so im assuming you have a massive list of amazing homebrew that would supercede your need for eshop / online gaming / miiverse etc ?

Quoting people, it might help let us know who that was directed to ;)

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
apologies for the lack of quotes , my comments did follow the randomizers post directly and was directed at him as my disagreement with his ideas on why to have a console not online. As i have explained to him privately.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To disable auto updates, is it in the Internet settings button where it says something like enable/disable automatic software updates/download, or the power settings such as auto powerdown and standby functions?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
To me, that video only shows that the user took a lot of effort to make a prank. It looks like it's html/js, a recorded/edited video of the main menu at best.
You know, like shows which make you think the magician put his hand inside the TV, just recorded and good timing.
We really don't see anything in that video other than what he wants you to see or trust.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The presentation is overly glitzy.
- The Wii U Brew logo is just too polished.
? 4chan prank.

I guess time will tell.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nope that's real
post-30683-let-the-game-begin-gif-SAW-tum-tgVU.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The presentation is overly glitzy.
- The Wii U Brew logo is just too polished.
? 4chan prank.

I guess time will tell.
We had these same kind of arguments when Gateway posted their videos.

While certainly not impossible, all the work that would go into faking this exploit simply isn't worth the reward of a cheap trolling.

Reactions: rednekcowboy

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just a prank, they could show much more than a single icon loading a jpg. I will not lose any sleep time with this until something real come. they are testing? Cool, why not show a little?
Trolls, Trolls everywere.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me, that video only shows that the user took a lot of effort to make a prank. It looks like it's html/js, a recorded/edited video of the main menu at best.
You know, like shows which make you think the magician put his hand inside the TV, just recorded and good timing.
We really don't see anything in that video other than what he wants you to see or trust.

Replicate what he did to prove what your theory is.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
While certainly not impossible, all the work that would go into faking this exploit simply isn't worth the reward of a cheap trolling.
Well, he gave himself like 3 days (minimum) to work up the video.

Really, this would be cool if it's true.
It's always good to be at least a little skeptical no matter what evidence is shown, though.

I understand the exploit's out there. There's 31 who have a certain exploit (not to say someone else couldn't have made another one or just come to the same conclusion as them) and if any of them are either part of these 4 "horsemen" of accidentally let the exploit get leaked, it doesn't seem IMpossible that this is legit.

What's shown here, though, is an icon installed into the menu. That takes a bit more than just an exploit (how long on the Wii was it just disk based exploits until they came out with the HBC?). Again, this doesn't mean it's not true but IF it's true it would mean it is a pretty nice accomplishment.

If they didn't actually install anything, this could also be just using an exploit to patch some channel's title, splash screen and icon in RAM so that it just LOOKS like they installed a channel (but they had to cut the video off before Wind Waker suddenly loaded after the splash screens, for example) This would be something that the average user couldn't do and wouldn't be possible at all without an genuine exploit of some sort BUT would not be QUITE what it appears (I'm reminded of neimod's "homebrew channel" that he just patched a title which WAS legit hacking, just not what it looked like)

And then, of course, there's always the possibility of smoke and mirrors with mere video playback, moving his finger in slowly so you can't be sure when it's silhouette actually touches the screen, just timing it right, using a link in the browser or a number of other little tricks that could make it LOOK like it's something that it's not

So it would be nice. It could be. It's definitely not impossible ... but to be on the safe side, it's not to the point I'd be betting any money on it yet. Call me a fence sitter for now.

serevok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Longtime lurker here wanting to throw out my 2 cents. I'm still skeptical and here's why.
1) As Cyan already mentioned, a properly timed finger point to a video playing on the game pad could make this look real.
2) The game pad and TV screen/monitor were not shown simultaneously meaning the WiiU Brew "load screen" could have been there all along and displayed at the appropriate time to strengthen the illusion (It could be just a picture displayed on a screen).
3) The whole Four Horsemen theme and pictures used in the video look to be mashed up and thrown out there. There seems to be no attempt on the hackers part to try to look like a legit/mature/capable hacker. It's just too childish.

Though I'm still hopeful... Why would anybody go through all the work of creating a (pretty convincing) fake video for a cheap internet joke. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

btw, whats up with that square nfc reader? (It's usually rectangular) From what I know I've only seen that on dev units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.