Hacking Wii U and Smash Stack

2ndApex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody using the Brawl exploit on the Wii U? It has the entire Wii firmware/menu as it's own Wii U channel so it seems possible that Wii exploits could work in a sandboxed Wii U like how DS flashcarts can run on a 3DS. I'm not able to get my hands on a Wii U for a few weeks at least but I'd like to hear the results before I try it myself.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
certainly not, nintendo should have thinked in that and WiiU probably disables all WiiU system and hardware related when in wii mode.
I'm somewhat doubtful. This would mean that the wii would have a totally separate partition of the internal flash storage of the size of the wii NAND (about 500MB, IIRC). While better on the safe side, it does limit things a bit. If you had bought more wiiware than you had internal storage, it would be disappointing that you still can't play all your games on the wiiU (there's a lot more storage, but it's reserved for wiiu games).

Access to an external HDD is, indeed, out of the question: you'll need to have a cIOS for that. And that can't be installed (yet?).

Oh, and for the record: the wii nor the wiiu doesn't have an internal HDD. It's called flash memory. I don't want to go anal over a name, but in this case, it's important that we're on the same page. :)

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm somewhat doubtful. This would mean that the wii would have a totally separate partition of the internal flash storage of the size of the wii NAND (about 500MB, IIRC). While better on the safe side, it does limit things a bit. If you had bought more wiiware than you had internal storage, it would be disappointing that you still can't play all your games on the wiiU (there's a lot more storage, but it's reserved for wiiu games).

Access to an external HDD is, indeed, out of the question: you'll need to have a cIOS for that. And that can't be installed (yet?).

Oh, and for the record: the wii nor the wiiu doesn't have an internal HDD. It's called flash memory. I don't want to go anal over a name, but in this case, it's important that we're on the same page. :)
I think we gonnna need a totaly new way to instal ioses, nintendo aways learn from old consoles to patch in future projects, but, ayone tested yet to confirm that.
So, lets wait to see how wiiU going to be exploited/hacked and maybe there's something useful to old wii systems in new wii mode system menu. :lol:

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Many (all?) official IOS contain a USB module. IOS58 contains a USB 2.0 module, which has better compatibility than homebrew USB 2.0 modules (I believe the homebrew USB 2.0 module can only access one of the ports; IOS58's USB 2.0 module can access both). It should certainly be possible to access USB devices such as external HDDs from WiiMode of the WiiU, unless Nintendo block access to the WiiU's USB ports in WiiMode.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Many (all?) official IOS contain a USB module. IOS58 contains a USB 2.0 module, which has better compatibility than homebrew USB 2.0 modules (I believe the homebrew USB 2.0 module can only access one of the ports; IOS58's USB 2.0 module can access both). It should certainly be possible to access USB devices such as external HDDs from WiiMode of the WiiU, unless Nintendo block access to the WiiU's USB ports in WiiMode.
probably not, this will limit wii games that use usb controllers and wii microphone.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Please tell that to the dipshit manager at gamestop. He argued with me that the Wii U had a HDD and when I told him it was flash memory he insisted that the flash memory was in fact a HDD. What a dumbass.

Reactions: loco365 and Qtis

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
It seems it's running a ELF file from smash stack.Wii mode on wii is a wii???
If it boots up an ELF file,then you can run Devolution,and play gamecube games on a WiiU via CLASSIC CONTROLLER, how does that sound.

Ron457x2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems it's running a ELF file from smash stack.Wii mode on wii is a wii???
If it boots up an ELF file,then you can run Devolution,and play gamecube games on a WiiU via CLASSIC CONTROLLER, how does that sound.

:wtf: Oh god... oh my g-- Awwwww
My mind came with your idea. Seriously, nice idea, but I doubt
that the saving will work correctly when it comes to GCC games
being emulated on a Wii U running on Wii mode... .__.

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
:wtf: Oh god... oh my g-- Awwwww
My mind came with your idea. Seriously, nice idea, but I doubt
that the saving will work correctly when it comes to GCC games
being emulated on a Wii U running on Wii mode... .__.

Devolution saves SD card or USB,it work like a memory card.I doubt it can do save states

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the fact of playing Wii games on the WiiU but may be could use the little portable screen instead of the tv along with a wireless sensor bar which are common now.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Please tell that to the dipshit manager at gamestop. He argued with me that the Wii U had a HDD and when I told him it was flash memory he insisted that the flash memory was in fact a HDD. What a dumbass.
I read that. And I was thinking of replying to OriginalHamster with that anecdote, but I can't blame people for not knowing the difference*. That, and I wasn't sure whether he was talking about the "internal HDD" (the NAND) or a plugged in USB-drive.

*I thought that homebrew that uses IOS58 automatically had AHBPROT-access the other day, so I'm not an exception.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Sooo.........anyone try this yet? Also I wonder if anyone can be bothered to write a cIOS that can take advantage of the WiiU's newfound power, that might be a better alternative than to try and get native homebrew on the WiiU.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sooo.........anyone try this yet? Also I wonder if anyone can be bothered to write a cIOS that can take advantage of the WiiU's newfound power, that might be a better alternative than to try and get native homebrew on the WiiU.
In WiiMode, there is no "newfound power" to take advantage of. It is an exact replication of the Wii. No cIOS will change that, only a WiiU mode hack would be able to tap into the full power of the WiiU.

EDIT: Similar to how DS-mode flashcards on the DSi & 3DS couldn't access the camera or extra RAM etc.

also cf PSP mode hacks for the Vita (vHBL and eCFW, both only capable of running PSP stuff)

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
In WiiMode, there is no "newfound power" to take advantage of. It is an exact replication of the Wii. No cIOS will change that, only a WiiU mode hack would be able to tap into the full power of the WiiU.

EDIT: Similar to how DS-mode flashcards on the DSi & 3DS couldn't access the camera or extra RAM etc.

also cf PSP mode hacks for the Vita (vHBL and eCFW, both only capable of running PSP stuff)

How can you be so sure? MIOS can be modified to run at Wii speeds, how can we be certain that Wii mode can't be modified to run at WiiU speeds? We have shown that IOS can be manipulated into recognizing other devices. I don't see why it can't be told how to communicate with WiiU peripherals

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How can you be so sure? MIOS can be modified to run at Wii speeds, how can we be certain that Wii mode can't be modified to run at WiiU speeds? We have shown that IOS can be manipulated into recognizing other devices. I don't see why it can't be told how to communicate with WiiU peripherals
MIOS can't be modified to run at Wii speeds (or at least hasn't, to my knowledge; bypassing BC means the hardware isn't switched to GC mode, but no hack is performed on BC, and this is pretty crap as it just makes games run too fast and I think most crash). Even if it could, that would be a hack from the Wii side. There are certainly no hacks for MIOS from within MIOS.

EDIT: As for "recognizing other devices"; to my knowledge, this has only ever been USB devices, and IOS already has access to the USB ports on a Wii or in WiiMode on a WiiU. Adding support for other hardware of the WiiU would require breaking out of the WiiMode sandbox. At which point, it becomes a WiiU hack, which just happens to be via WiiMode, rather than a WiiMode hack, and it wouldn't happen via a cIOS.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
because MIOS is running on the Wii which emulates the Gamecube
so
MIOS would have to run on the WiiU which emulates the Wii to use WiiU hardware

because the exploit only works in the Emulated Wii Mode then you are restricted to only Wii hardware capability

the Problem is everyone is calling it a WiiU hack when its not
its a Emulated Wii that the WiiU does that has a exploit, not the WiiU itself
same with the 3DS, its not a 3DS Exploit the Flashcards are using, its a Emulated DS that has an exploit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over