Hardware Wii Turns On But No Video Signal -- Not Even A Black Screen

Vandan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, had this problem. But my Wii was purchased from NZ, and I moved to USA - any way I can “convert” my wii??

Kampretski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I had the same problem, blank screen, have to push start button for few seconds to turn off. Previous owner mention accidentally deleted "few files" before.

Any chance to revive the wii?

Any lead will be appreciated.

Cuber456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this thread is as good as any since I am having problems too now.

Over the past day, the Wii I own has been having issues. To be specific, when it’s powered on, the screen boots black and nothing else (the signal does make it to the TV because the TV says so). I can’t do much in this state. The light on the console is green but reset does nothing. I can insert a game and eject it but I can’t get to the health and safety screen. The Wii remote won’t connect no matter if I press a button on the controller or if I try to sync another way. Only way to shut the Wii down is to hold the power button in the console.

Now, for the problem in the previous paragraph, there are times when I can power the Wii on and it will actually turn on like everything is normal. I can get to the main menu, the remote connects. Sometimes however, if I press the home button on the remote and try to go back to the main menu, I end up in the previous paragraph. Black screen, controllers don’t connect, need to hold don the power button on the console.

Now the funny thing about all of this is that this is an unmodified/unhacked Wii that I got back in 2010. It’s on V4.3. I’m not entirely sure what put it in this state of affairs beside “age”. I guess what I was wondering is if there are diagnostic tools or something that a hacked Wii could have access to. I’d be willing to hack it if I could figure out what’s causing it to fail like this and tay to fix it. Or if there is a simpler solution, I’m game for that too but I’m not sure the likelihood of any of this.

At a minimum, I copied any save data I had to an SD card in case the Wii gives up the ghost for good.

akumaevil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Same trouble here, no signal on screen not sinc wii remote, after a hour , i remove all cables and sd card too, put only component and power, and I power wii and still press power button and wii turn on, lucky or definitivy trick to fix?

Last edited by akumaevil,

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be a faulty wifi or bluetooth module. I had a wii that had the same exact symptoms as the ones you have and just replacing both fixed it. Keep in mind the wii will show the exact symptoms as a full brick if 1 or both dont work

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess this thread is as good as any since I am having problems too now.

Over the past day, the Wii I own has been having issues. To be specific, when it’s powered on, the screen boots black and nothing else (the signal does make it to the TV because the TV says so). I can’t do much in this state. The light on the console is green but reset does nothing. I can insert a game and eject it but I can’t get to the health and safety screen. The Wii remote won’t connect no matter if I press a button on the controller or if I try to sync another way. Only way to shut the Wii down is to hold the power button in the console.

Now, for the problem in the previous paragraph, there are times when I can power the Wii on and it will actually turn on like everything is normal. I can get to the main menu, the remote connects. Sometimes however, if I press the home button on the remote and try to go back to the main menu, I end up in the previous paragraph. Black screen, controllers don’t connect, need to hold don the power button on the console.

Now the funny thing about all of this is that this is an unmodified/unhacked Wii that I got back in 2010. It’s on V4.3. I’m not entirely sure what put it in this state of affairs beside “age”. I guess what I was wondering is if there are diagnostic tools or something that a hacked Wii could have access to. I’d be willing to hack it if I could figure out what’s causing it to fail like this and tay to fix it. Or if there is a simpler solution, I’m game for that too but I’m not sure the likelihood of any of this.

At a minimum, I copied any save data I had to an SD card in case the Wii gives up the ghost for good.
if you cant get a snyc try turning on the wii with the wiimote
If that dosen't work replace the blutooth module

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem, blank screen, have to push start button for few seconds to turn off. Previous owner mention accidentally deleted "few files" before.

Any chance to revive the wii?

Any lead will be appreciated.
unless you have a nand backup (assuming the deletion of files was the thing that bricked it) or can boot into bootmii or priiloader, there is almost no damn hope for the wii. Unless you can get a save mii (Its been hard for me to find one tho) Your next bet should be the hold 4 dpad buttons on gc controller on the 4th slot and try to recover from a disc.

Same here, had this problem. But my Wii was purchased from NZ, and I moved to USA - any way I can “convert” my wii??
Use any region changer. If you want instructions search them up as i dont know much about any region changer. Also unless you want to have a very high chance of brick BACK UP THE NAND

kitkatkit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw and tried from a youtube video. Just leave the red plug in. Pull out the white and yellow. Plug the yellow to the white. Then plug. It should work after that.
Plug all cables back to the correct color.

I saw and tried from a youtube video. Just leave the red plug in. Pull out the white and yellow. Plug the yellow to the white. Then plug. It should work after that.
Plug all cables back to the correct color.

Chris71Mach1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess I'll go ahead and throw my poor console onto the "Bricked Wii thread that just won't die" thread. My console seems to have a unique problem comparatively. I purchased this console on the cheap as a "parts box" with the seller telling me that he was getting very faint video out of it.

So first, I'll address alexander1970's question list:

Do you have a Black Screen or "No Signal" when you turn on your Wii ?
no signal
What happens when you press and hold the RESET Button on your Wii and turn it on ?
no noticeable difference when booted with this sequence.
Did you tried different AV Connections on your TV ?
yes
Did you also tried different AV Cables ?
multiple AV cables *and* two different Wii2HDMI adapters
Did you tried another Power Supply ?
yes.

So I turn the console on, and the TV to which the console is connected registers no video signal. I've tried this on multiple TVs with the same result.

The disk drive sounds pretty gnarly when I turn it on, but I honestly don't care about that.

I can successfully sync a controller to the console, and when I wave it around in front of the sensor bar, I get tactile reactions from the controller indicative of it seeing different apps that I can select (or could select if I could see anything).

I can even hear (some) sound out of it.

It seems to me that overall, the console is working, but the AV port seems to be completely non-functional. Is there any fix to this other than soldering a new port on the motherboard (which ain't happening cause I SUCK at board level repair) or outright replacing the motherboard in the console? Any help would be appreciated at this point, cause I'd really like to get this console up, running, and able to play games again.

Cubaking7755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have fixed hundreds of Nintendo Wii and that's the only problem that scares me when there's a black screen no signal screen it's pretty much over you might as well just throw the machine way because the issue is going to be with your AV modules or av circuit board somehow what I understand something got fried or short-circuited and it won't work again unless you replace that part or the entire motherboard and then it becomes more expensive than buying another one and it also very hard to find me those parts that are actually working so I usually just don't waste my time and I throw that one away but you can salvage everything else try to salvage the disc reader if it's still working more likely it is Salvage the front face plates and a few other parts in that system that you can easily pull so that's my expertise on that because trust me I've tried replace that many times and try to fix it a few times and every time too hard to find unless you know how to work on motherboards okay if someone else knows something that I don't please let me know but that's my conclusion

Reactions: Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have fixed hundreds of Nintendo Wii and that's the only problem that scares me when there's a black screen no signal screen it's pretty much over you might as well just throw the machine way because the issue is going to be with your AV modules or av circuit board somehow what I understand something got fried or short-circuited and it won't work again unless you replace that part or the entire motherboard and then it becomes more expensive than buying another one and it also very hard to find me those parts that are actually working so I usually just don't waste my time and I throw that one away but you can salvage everything else try to salvage the disc reader if it's still working more likely it is Salvage the front face plates and a few other parts in that system that you can easily pull so that's my expertise on that because trust me I've tried replace that many times and try to fix it a few times and every time too hard to find unless you know how to work on motherboards okay if someone else knows something that I don't please let me know but that's my conclusion

Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. This is kind of what I've been afraid of hearing. I haven't had the chance to just clean the contacts yet, but I'm already not feeling very confident that'll work. On the other hand, I've seen somebody say something along these lines and I've already procured a new (to me) motherboard for around 15 bucks, so that puts the total cost of this console to $35, which I don't see as completely insane considering I'm going to mod it anyway. The "crunchy" sounding cd drive doesn't even bother me, and I might just unplug that entirely while I'm replacing the MB.

Fawe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. This is kind of what I've been afraid of hearing. I haven't had the chance to just clean the contacts yet, but I'm already not feeling very confident that'll work. On the other hand, I've seen somebody say something along these lines and I've already procured a new (to me) motherboard for around 15 bucks, so that puts the total cost of this console to $35, which I don't see as completely insane considering I'm going to mod it anyway. The "crunchy" sounding cd drive doesn't even bother me, and I might just unplug that entirely while I'm replacing the MB.
Might put an HDD in it, while you're at it :D

Reactions: Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to wrap this thread up, I decided that there had to be a board level component failure on the motherboard (like a resistor or something) that had caused the video output port to have failed. I don't possess the board-level-repair skillset necessary to diagnose and repair such a failure, so I scored a new motherboard off eBay for like 15 bucks. This took the overall cost of this console to 35, since I'd paid 20 for the console and 15 for this new MB. Lemme tell ya, I'm glad I've been in IT for a long time and have torn into so many laptop PCs, cause replacing a motherboard in a Wii requires the teardown of the entire console. The only thing I can think of that'd be any more involved would be replacing the entire case, and there aren't many more screws involved in that project. I've finally managed to get the console fired up, pulled the MAC address from it, and have already run LetterBomb on the console. I'm just waiting on all my data to copy over to the SD card so I can make this "new" console into yet another work horse in my collection of consoles.

Thanks to all of those who provided input on this thread. I have to say I've learned a lot from this project.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

So to wrap this thread up, I decided that there had to be a board level component failure on the motherboard (like a resistor or something) that had caused the video output port to have failed. I don't possess the board-level-repair skillset necessary to diagnose and repair such a failure, so I scored a new motherboard off eBay for like 15 bucks. This took the overall cost of this console to 35, since I'd paid 20 for the console and 15 for this new MB. Lemme tell ya, I'm glad I've been in IT for a long time and have torn into so many laptop PCs, cause replacing a motherboard in a Wii requires the teardown of the entire console. The only thing I can think of that'd be any more involved would be replacing the entire case, and there aren't many more screws involved in that project. I've finally managed to get the console fired up, pulled the MAC address from it, and have already run LetterBomb on the console. I'm just waiting on all my data to copy over to the SD card so I can make this "new" console into yet another work horse in my collection of consoles.

Thanks to all of those who provided input on this thread. I have to say I've learned a lot from this project.

Very nice to hear,you have now a working Wii.
You can make a Blog about your "Adventure" if you like with Pictures from the Mainboard Replacement.

Congratulations and have Fun now with your "new" Wii.:)

Fawe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First off, you can't really put an HDD *in* the Wii. Second off, I already have every intention of plugging a large USB HDD into the Wii with both Wii and GameCube libraries. :)
Oh yes, you can. There are modders that take out their disc drives and put an HDD inside the Wii. They wire it so it basically works as if it's plugged in from the outside, just less messy.

Reactions: Alexander1970

j5701

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I seem to be having a very similiar issue, and I'm heartbroken to hear that it is possibly bricked. Is there anyway to get data from the bricked Wii to a new one? I have almost a decade of progress that I'd hate to see go to waste.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll give you a present by tying up ancientboi for you