Hacking Wii system menu scrambled

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Patched IOS60? Does preloader not do this upon installation? He deleted all IOS's 37> (I think), so how is going through these steps gonna affect anything, or am I missing something? How did you come to the conclusion that these steps are gonna resolve Ktag's problem? Not being arsey, just curious.

You gonna try it Ktag?

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ben

i appreciate your time that you spent writing these detailed instructions for me and have started to prepare to follow them. I am a little doubtful about whether it will help as their is nothing i can see in the process that I have not already tried except the 60 patch and possibly (can't remember) whether I actually uninstalled the HBC the way you explained. But as it is very detailed and already prepared it would be remiss of me not to try. I will let you know how I go.

Thanks agin
Glenn

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
beyre.. Followed all your steps exactly. unfortunately it made no difference at all.

On an extra note although I have scrambled graphics within the HBC menu normally all applications once started are fine.. I have to try each application within HBC to see what it is as I can't read the screen. Your download had 6 applications (of course it was almost the last one before I found the first one I needed), all but one were fine. the "mplayer_ce" application though also had the scrambled graphics.

When I ran the NAND backup, same as last time, it showed 2 factory bad blocks at 120 & 2250 if this is of any value.

My Wii system menu v4.1 is now scrambled so in the next few days I will need to downgrade it back to V3.2e as I have found that this system menu does not have the scrambled graphics problem. I live with the fact that HBC and some assortment of games have scrambled graphics.

One particular game is strange... Tiger Woods 2010, it starts scrambled for the first 2 screens (first 10sec) but then operates fine. All other games or applications either are totally good or totally scrambled.

thanks for trying

beyre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so i take it you could install bootmii to boot2, then?, and access it from the wii before the wii menu loads? and its still scrambled....... and the factory bad blocks dont matter...... as mine has 3, i thought that would of fixed, it but the graphics crouption, could be due to a semi bricked wii.............

beyre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok extra steps to try and fix.....

select cMIOS_rev3 in the homebrew channel, this will start the installer, you need to press a, to accept that you have read the disclaimer,

you have 2 options goto option for network instlation, to access that press the right button on the dpad once, then it will reboot the wii after the install,

step 2, DOP-IOS

start dop-ios use the left key of the wii remote d-pad and goto ios9 press a, then press a again, then press a again, and wait for it to finish, after that restart dop-ios and do it for all ios's i list....21,35,37,38,53,55,56, and the ones that say its for system menu 4.0..... and wii shop channel etc, and any others that are not system menus or unsed, this should if all goes well fix it

but befor you dopios 60 & 61, uninstall preloader it will likely brick your wii *** if you use preloader not bootmii**** bootmii wont brick it

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
hmm, all this sound somekind of minor hardware error. Since nothing happens if he try to uninstall and reinstall. Seems so strange.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
beyre, help is appreciated, but your guides really are just repeating any of the modern softmod guides out there.

OP, time to restore it to a virgin state and use the warranty if there's still one?

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
beyre:
thanks but I have already used dop_ios to remove all IOS's you mentioned except 35. And this had no effect. I might think about uninstalling 35 but need to ensure I have fixed the preloader and returned the wii to V3.2e etc. What is the CMIOS, I know I could look it up but on my way to work.

ziddey:
12mth warranty - wii is 14mth old

Bazamuffin:
nothing in email.. got you downloader yesterday though...maybe I deleted it if you sent something else.

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oof that's unfortunate. afaik, cmios is for gamecube loading.

so I wonder what it is. any chance of any foreign games / wiishop etc being installed? so I take it it's due to a corrupt ios and not the system attempting to go into pal mode?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Since it's (apparently) happening far more often now, I'm thinking it IS indeed a hardware issue. It's still odd that some things work though. Oh yes, and also...a foreign channel being installed shouldn't cause any of this. I (for example) have a Akumajo Dracula: Chi no Rondo PCE game I downloaded from the Japanese Shop Channel before Nintendo locked them down more, and it definitely doesn't cause any problems having it there on my menu. Even if it were PAL, it wouldn't hurt anything by just sitting on the menu.

beyre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@ K-Tag, yes cIOS is aimed at gamecube backup loading, and i know you allready dop-ios'd the only reason i told you to dop-ios all the ios's except the ones that are now uesless / system menu below 4.0 is incase the shop channel / hbc....... etc use a diffrent ios that you had not dop-iosd.... was just thinking of everything i could.....

sounds like you have a problem with the hollywood chip.... io bridge.......... so it could indeed be hardware, as the hollywood graphics chip has a io bridge, where it passes code to the PPC chip which is used for running games, and the system menu and all the ios's are stored in broadway and starlet.......as when a wii game loads, it uses the ppc chip

so why its not the graphics part of hollywood, it sounds like a faulty i o

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
If it is faulty IO, would it not be a problem with ALL games/apps. Its selective and apears only in certain circumstances. I think we have an IOS issue here, otherwise wouldn't any system menu he chose be scrambled? He's OK on 3.2 from what I've read, so if it was an IO issue then regardless of the IOS the sysmenu calls for the IO function would be the same, no?

I'm hoping a re-virginising of the system will help. HBC seems to be somewhere at the heart of the issue, because whichever sysmenu he's on HBC is still scrambled.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had an issue as well not exactly like this but similar...all my apps were not displaying text properly and screens were not refreshing properly. For example if I pressed down in wad manager to scroll through my wads, the screen stayed with the same text and wouldn't change any piece of text on the screen...I searched for two straight days to find a fix, I did everything possible, I finally gave up using homebrew stuff to try to fix it and update through nintendo to 4.0u. sorry if that doesn't help you, just my two cents

bazamuffin

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Unfortunately when he's on 3.2 an official update won't happen as it's saying he is already up to date. Ktag I re-sent that email to you.

Have you made any progress on this?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just can think of if he got a modchip, that might have something to do with this problem.

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Again thanks for everyones help. I will create a new thread detailing as much as I can of what happens what I have done and any links I can see. This will help to provide a more complete and compressed base of information for anyone to make a suggestion on rather than trying to read the 100 posts this has grown to.

Thank you all....

I have my Wii set up on V3.2e with a hard drive connected and can play most games, there are only a couple (plus the HBC) that have scrambled graphics - these do not change and are predictable thus I am inclined to beleive it is software based or hardware based screwing up one particular part of the software that only certain games, shopping channel, HBC and system menu V3.4 and higher call upon. But will start a new thread with further details.

Off on a few days holiday.
Thanks again all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.