Hacking Wii system menu scrambled

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Still no luck.. I got and installed IOS36, IOS60, IOS61 & system menu 4.1 (system menu-NUS-v450.wad)... starting with IOS60. My system model is an RVL-001(AUS) Serial start: LAH1060.. thus i presume it is a straight PAL version.

In Wad manager v1.5, it asks to select which IOS version to use as default (but tried it with IOS60 and it returned a (-1) error). What am I selecting here? The next option is to select the source device then install each of the wad's.

1/ am i doing it correctly

2/ after rereading all replies I think I have exhausted all current suggestions,
should I try older system menus?
Should I try other IOS's?
What damage can do in experimenting?

Or should I focus on getting the hard drive setup hoping its menu is not scrambled?

Thanks for all the replies so far, still hoping.

vettacossx: From what I can make out the chip is updated. And it may be simple but not sure how to PM this tread to someone.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You're selecting what IOS Wad Manager uses. All Wii applications (except for BootMii) run over IOS. It controls a lot of the hardware. If one doesn't work, keep trying other ones. Hopefully you'll find one that works (some bugs Wad Manager uses to it's advantage were fixed in later IOS versions).

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
zektor said:
I hate to say it, but I also believe that this is a GPU issue...

But his games work fine apparently so it can't be a hardware/GPU problem. I had a similar problem with a mates console, but I took 1 step back and used Wani's 4.0 updater on a 4.1E with dodgy menu and corrupt shopping channel. I then went back up to 4.1E via Nintendo

SherlockHolmeboy

Trophies
Website
homebrefreeware.co.cc
XP
Country
Do you know wether or not your Wii has the trucha bug (If you updated it from Nintendo, it's likely you don't)? If you don't or you're not quite sure, try running Trucha Bug Restorer, Downgrade IOS15, Patch IOS35/36, and restore IOS15. Then, install a version of cIOS (Rev 14 seems to be the best) and let WAD Manager use IOS249. Finally, install IOS60, IOS61 And System Menu 4.1E. Hope that helps!
smile.gif

Oh yeah, these files need to be in the WAD/ folder of your SD card. That's why you're getting the (-1) error.

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Have you ever tried restoring an old bootmii backup?
If the GPU is not the problem it has to be the software (which resides in the nand)

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have never updated the wii from anywhere but the system update thus nintnedo servers only.

haven't tried an old bootmii backup but I have never used bootmii or had the HBC before the graphics all went sour.

Additional to my last update I have followed the procedure "How to Store/Load Wii Games via USB Hard Drive on System Menu 4.0 [Slick Tricks Part 2]" on www.mikeandheth.com. This loads the cIOS 38_rev14... still no change.

Should I be trying to downgrade the system menu then upgrade again?? How do you go about doing this?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
First before downgrading, do a NAND backup. (With Bootmii!)

By the way, if you do a nand backup you can see how many bad blocks you have. It might give us all a clue.

If you gonna downgrade, do what bazamuffin said. I don't really know else.

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Done what i believe was a Nand backup, 2 bad blocks. Ran Waninkoko's 4.0 updater - nothing updated or downloaded.

Whilst in the BootMii menu I checked the info slection next to the backup icons.. it indicates "System menu: unknown boot1b boot2v3" what does this mean?

Is it possible to re-install everything.. and what is everything?

Glenn

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Have you tried running AnyRegion Changer 1.1b. I believe you can choose 4.0 with this version. Can't you boot .dol's from Bootmii? Would save you the hassle of 'guess-navigating' to HBC.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps GPU init for system menu is corrupted... This is textbook video card or GPU hardware problems but it's weird that games still work fine. It's possible it's still a hardware issue.

I am guessing there is indeed a GPU problem but it's only a call that the system menu does which triggers it. A really specific tiny but fatal GPU problem. That or it's a corruption of a tiny part of the software.

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried anyregion changer, it listed v3.2 even though current version is 4.1 and indicated mismatch between area and region however listed details did not. tried some options to change and all failed.

Have now added preloader and even selecting HBC from here the graphics become scrambled, (as does selecting the system menu)

about to try setting up a harddrive to see if I can skip the problem???

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Do you have a modchip in it?
Do you have Connect 24 on?

Turn it off connect 24 and see if it your wii works better, try to cool it down. I read on Maxconsoles forums with a guy with the same problem after he got a Wiikey installed.

Somehow, try to cool it down. He did though seem to have problem with his games also.

elfsander

Trophies
Website
microse.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Disconnect your Wii from your Power outlet. Wait for an hour or 2 to let it cool. Then retry.
2. Downgrade to 3.2, remove any softhack you have (excluding bootmii and HBC), Update trough Nintendo.
3. Remove your modchip (if any).
4. Do all of the above and send it to Nintendo.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ktag... do you have a cIOS installed? if you do, go into the preloader settings and change the system menu IOS to 249.

Another thing I would do (which may be hard with messed up graphics) is load DoP-IOS and install the latest version of EVERY IOS you can with it. I don't care what others say, Waninkoko's upgrader misses important stuff and is completely stupid (it was made before methods were out there to mod a Wii directly from 4.1 and is completely unnecessary). Everyone should stop telling people to use it. They should update the normal way through Nintendo first, THEN softmod thier Wii.

Ktag

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have had the wii off.. definately not a heat issue. Currently using Dop-IOS to download every IOS. My next step will be to downgrade (if I can) then see.

When I used preloader, I thought this was an application before allowing the system menu to start. Thus why when I use it to then enter the HBC does my scrambled graphics appear..??

Still looking very strange.. remember I can play any game.. look at most channels or applications including bootmii and any .dol application without an issue.. the scrambled graphics only occur in the system menu and the HBC menu!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s