Wii system menu scrambled

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Ktag, Sep 20, 2009.

Sep 20, 2009

Wii system menu scrambled by Ktag at 10:53 AM (9,014 Views / 0 Likes) 97 replies

1. Ktag
    OP

Newcomer Ktag Member

Australia
    UPDATE from Post 64:

I ended up deteling all IOS's above 37 (except 249, 250) ran the system but still the HBC has its graphics scrambled - I tried a couple of games that my son said played up in the past.. Lego batman, Lego Star wars and these also had graphics scrambled. Other games and system menu v3.3 and below work fine. I did have a problem with the system upon entering system settings - it took a long time to come up.

I tend to believe that there is something being called by system menu 3.4 & above, HBC, shop channel & lego games that is screwed up but I can't find it. What is common for these?

---------------------------------------

Hi all, have been searching a while and even gave my Wii to a modder but not able to find a fix, hope someone here can help.

Problem: Wii system menu is scrambled horizontally on the screen, I can just make out the curser and when I move across any selection I can here it activate, thus I can select things but can't read any selections. When I place a CD in and select it all works fine from there. But it is almost too difficult to do anything else.
    See here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3256...mp;l=ea78092129

Probable Cause:
    Internet system update about May/June 2009.

Console details:
    Model No. RVL-001(AUS) Serial start: LAH1060...,
    D2Pro installed

Actions attempted:
    June & today - System update again - as I can't read the response not sure if successful,
    June - Managed to load homebrew channel - but can't seem to get the selections right to make it work
    - When select the SD selection the system hangs and a complete power off is required.
    July - Gave to a local modder to try anything - no help.

Was planning to set up an external harddrive but can't do this (and it would serve no purpose) if I can't read any selections. I can play all games I have it is just annoying to try to set them up - trying to get the scrambled curser over the correct scrambled select button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... especially knowing this has happened before.

thanks

2. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Hmm.. You haven't tried re-installing the system menu? Try something like waninkoko's 4.1 updater at first. If nothing works, you could always set up your wii so it doesn't need the system menu, like mine. Bootmii boot2 boots straight to the HBC where I have USB loader and Triiforce for launching all my games from USB drive etc. Haven't booted to the sysmenu in ages and don't miss it.

3. Ktag
    OP

Newcomer Ktag Member

Australia
    Thanks for the fast response, I am computer literate but have not messed around much with the Wii = Wii illiterate. Could you point me in the best direction to try your ideas (ie. re-install system menu), although i would have expected the modder I gave the Wii to would have tried this?

thanks again for the fast response.

Glenn

4. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    Looks like a dying GPU.

5. kLiNiKaL

Member kLiNiKaL Dr. Greenthumb

Jamaica
    if you have Preloader or BootMii installed try to boot straight to HBC and leave only Waninkoko's updater on your SD so you dont select the wrong app

you'll find it on his blog if you need it

google - Blog De Waninkoko

let it complete and hopefully it will reinstall a fresh 4.1 and fix your issue

good luck

6. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    this is hardware problem, not software, reinstalling stuff won't help
    either GPU or Video chip that is going too hot or damaged

7. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    You say that the games works fine? So its only and only in the wii menu you get this?

Did you do something special or did this just accure one day when you booted it up?

8. kLiNiKaL

Jamaica
    if the games didnt work perfect then i would say it was a GPU issue myself but the fact the user can play games says to me its a sysmenu issue not a hardware one

9. Ktag
    OP

Newcomer Ktag Member

Australia
    Yes it only occurs on the system menu, as I know where the "select CD" icon is, I can select the game CD and the game then loads and works fine - thus I would find it hard to fathom being a hardware issue.

I am pretty sure I updated the console via the "system update" selection and on next boot this problem occured.

I have not operated the homebrew channel as I only loaded it by second guessing the selections on the system menu screen (after this problem started), now if I can manage to select the SD icon on the main screen the console trys to boot (or start) the SD card but just hangs.

Glenn

10. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    It sounds like a semi-corrupt wii system menu then. Because if it was a hardware error the games would be the same shape.

But do like this, get a Wad of System menu. You can use NUSD to download the system menu and make a WAD of it.

Boot upp HBC and load Wad manager 1.5, reinstall that WAD and hopefuly it will be gone. I have no guide over this sorry.

EDIT: Someone that knows what IOSes he need to reinstall for 4.1?

11. kLiNiKaL

Jamaica
    IOS60 and preferably IOS61 for the shop channel and HBC likes it also

12. roku93

Member roku93 GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Wouldn't it be a lot easier to run waninkoko's 4.1 updater from HBC than getting the wads etc.? Assuming he has an internet connection, of course.

If you want to try this method, download the updater from here.
    Rename the .dol file to boot.dol and put it to sd://apps/updater/ folder. Then boot up your wii and try to get to the HBC somehow, run the updater and let it download everything needed and see if that fixes the problem.

13. Ktag
    OP

Newcomer Ktag Member

Australia
    it appears everything revolves around the HBC, I am currently trying to get this working. I mentioned in my original post that I had managed to load it but not get it working. Prior to sending to the modder to have a look I formatted the system memory and not sure what he did... but it looks as though I have lost the HBC so I am trying to relearn how to reload it. Currently following homebrew setup from wiibrew.org.

Thanks again for the help and possible solutions, will let you know how I go.

14. Ktag
    OP

Newcomer Ktag Member

Australia
    Ok.. I have got HBC working. But still haven't fixed my problem.

Can load the HBC but it has the scrambled graphics, able to select options though and if I make sure there is only one it makes it easy to select.

I can start the Wii via Bootmii and the screen graphics are perfect.. I select Wii menu or HBC and the graphics become scrambled again, but selecting either the info or SD selection does not effect the graphics.

Linuxares:
    I have loaded Wad manager 1.5 and used it to successfully install IOS60 - no effect on problem

Roku93:
    I have tried waninkoko updater, it initialises with the network. brings up a disclaimer and gives the option "A" to agree and therefore start and "B" to restart back to the Wii menu. After selecting "A" the next screen immediately comes up saying "press any button to restart" without actually doing anything and if I press any button it returns to Wii menu. I have tried all other buttons with no success.

(noting inside these applications graphics are perfect)

Any other ideas?

If I can't read within the HBC because of the scrambled graphics I won't be able to use a harddrive instead will I?

Summary:
    Wii system menu scrambled graphics
    HBC scrambled graphics
    Shop channel scrambled
    BUT News, weather, Mii, photo channels once selected all perfect and all games once selected all perfect.

15. kLiNiKaL

Jamaica
    grab a wad of your system menu using WB3000 NUS Downloader

and then reinstall this with Wadmanager

16. mattjd

Member mattjd GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Use NUSD 1.2 and download your regions 4.1 system menu wad and also download the latest IOS60 and IOS61 and IOS36. Then install the wad's These are probably the most likely things that needs to be reinstalled.

17. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    [​IMG] NOW THATS A KNARLEY PICTURE BRO [​IMG]

First thing that comes to mind looking at that is HARDWARE FAILURE not a "bad system menu" running the waninkoko update is solid advice also if you can get your hands on a wad of your System menu you can use wadmanager to re-install the system menu (even tweaktoy and mymenuify can help to recover a broken sys menu by flashing your DEFAULT 0000000XX.app....

But tbh it looks like a hardware failure not a software failure try to unattach your modchip (if you can) and see if it still does that (maybe its a result of running the unofficial hardware (is the chip updated?) just a few things to think about best of luck my friend and thanks for sharing I hope your able to recover (if you would please) pm a link to this thread to wiipower. I am intersted to see if he is familiar with this or has saw it b4? because even if we dont know exactly..I would be interested to see if its hardware related or not merely out of curiosity.

18. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    vettacosx: He said games ran fine, so no Hardware failure. Also, he says Bootmii is fine as well.

The wanin updater doing the "Any button to restart" after pressing A, means it's already up to date. It has nothing to do.

Do what the others said: Use NUS Downloader to get IOS36, IOS60, System Menu 4.1 of your region, then install them with wad manager.

19. technosexual

Newcomer technosexual Member

United States
    some of this has already been stated but.
    is your wii system menu on 4.x?

if no, youll need to install ios60 first. you can use dop-ios to install it. if youre having trouble selecting things in hbc just use wiiload.
    if dop-ios is garbled too, you could use nusd to grab a ios60 wad.
    after you know ios60 is installed, use nusd to grab a 4.1 system menu wad of your region and install it via wad manager

see if that helps

20. nknave

Member nknave GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Sounds to me like he installed the wrong region SystemMenu, or Nintendo Installed one for his region.

If your Wii is NTSC make sure you install the NTSC version of the system menu, if PAL, than PAL.

Can't remember what the full names are, but they should be something like 0000000100000002.WAD v447, and v448

But don't go by that name, seach well first.