Wii semibrick

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Midna, Jun 14, 2012.

Jun 14, 2012

Wii semibrick by Midna at 8:00 AM (1,185 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I've got a launch Wii, and I noticed today that when i try to enter system settings, it gives me a black screen. I can enter memory management just fine. I suppose this is a semibrick, then. I'm on 4.3U, and I haven't been able to fix it. I did a rehack of the Wii with modmii, and installed the NTSC-U system menu files as if I was doing a region change. No dice. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but I have a LOT of virtual console titles and saves on here, and I hear those are forward compatible with the Wii U. I really can't lose those, so don't tell me to "delete my Wii shop account" as one guide I read suggested

So uh... help?

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I don't really see why it would matter when the records of everything you've purchased are stored server-side.

3. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    If I delete my Wii Shop account I lose the rights to the software I've purchased. It's all tied to the console.

4. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

That's not what I meant, I was referring to how being unable to access your wii settings would somehow prevent you from being able to use your purchased VC on the wii u.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It's not really a solution to the problem, but until you get it worked out, you can always use SE GUI to change most of the settings, as long as they have been accessed at least once in the past. There is a link in my signature.

6. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Ooh, that looks useful, thanks.
    Tell me though, were Nintendo to release a system update, would it be possible to update while under a semibrick?

7. AbdallahTerro

Member AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Lebanon
    I'm not the expert here but I got similar problem while testing themes, if the gif used for system settings is corrupt or have wrong dimensions, you can always try to install a new theme or the original one from ModMii for instance (after making all necessary precautions of course)

8. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I did have a theme before, yeah. I reinstalled the system menu and it went back to the default colour scheme. That should have cleared up any theme related issues, shouldn't it have?

9. AbdallahTerro

Lebanon
    yes either installing the system menu or a theme mym or csm file should fix a theme related issue.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    It's main use is a postLoader add-on, although it can be used on its own. An update should be coming soon, most likely the same day as pL4 is released.
    Yes, although I wouldn't be surprised if the next update (should there be one) is just another attempt to brick Wii's and block homebrew.

11. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Still that's mostly a server side thing....formatting your Wii will not even delete your rights.
    Any way this has nothing to do with your semi-brick.

12. AbdallahTerro

Lebanon
    Corrupted settings files can be removed from your nand /shared2 folder using FSToolBox or the latest WiiXplorer rev234+ but this is a very dangerous thing to do and needs the appropriate precautions.

13. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Well, okay, thanks for the advice guys.
    I managed to fix it by installing 4.1, then installing 4.3 again.
    Gave me a good scare in between there, though, because when I booted up the Wii after installing 4.1 it gave me a message all in corrupted text about the Mii and Wii Message board data being corrupt.
    So I'm all good. Thanks for the tips

14. JoostinOnline

United States
    It sounds like there is a deeper problem then, because the only differences between 4.1 and 4.3 are the version number and the negative side affects for a hacked Wii.

If you intend to use SE GUI in the future, I suggest you go into settings now and save everything you have. Until a value is added into SYSCONF by the System Menu, SE GUI can't edit it. And before you ask, adding the values myself (safely that is) is beyond the skill I currently have.

1 person likes this.
  15. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    I opened the Mii channel and formatted the save data upon being asked, and the message board worked again once I went back to 4.3
    The problems, including the semibrick, are gone but I have no idea why that happened

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    Using 4.3 shouldn't be related at all. Would you mind downgrading to 4.1 (if only temporarily, should you be obsessed with having the latest version) and see if the problem returns?

17. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Any particular reason?
    I've gotten anything back to normal, trying to reproduce my own problems isn't really a priority

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    Because if it happens again after downgrading (not that I think it will), that means it's something worth looking into. It's just a request, so it's okay if you want to leave things the way they are. But I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to test this for me.

19. Midna
    OP

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    Alright, I'll do a backup and try again when I get home

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    Thank you very much. :)