Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I've got a launch Wii, and I noticed today that when i try to enter system settings, it gives me a black screen. I can enter memory management just fine. I suppose this is a semibrick, then. I'm on 4.3U, and I haven't been able to fix it. I did a rehack of the Wii with modmii, and installed the NTSC-U system menu files as if I was doing a region change. No dice. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but I have a LOT of virtual console titles and saves on here, and I hear those are forward compatible with the Wii U. I really can't lose those, so don't tell me to "delete my Wii shop account" as one guide I read suggested

So uh... help?

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I don't really see why it would matter when the records of everything you've purchased are stored server-side.
If I delete my Wii Shop account I lose the rights to the software I've purchased. It's all tied to the console.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's not what I meant, I was referring to how being unable to access your wii settings would somehow prevent you from being able to use your purchased VC on the wii u.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It's not really a solution to the problem, but until you get it worked out, you can always use SE GUI to change most of the settings, as long as they have been accessed at least once in the past. There is a link in my signature.
Ooh, that looks useful, thanks.
Tell me though, were Nintendo to release a system update, would it be possible to update while under a semibrick?

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I'm not the expert here but I got similar problem while testing themes, if the gif used for system settings is corrupt or have wrong dimensions, you can always try to install a new theme or the original one from ModMii for instance (after making all necessary precautions of course)

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm not the expert here but I got similar problem while testing themes, if the gif used for system settings is corrupt or have wrong dimensions, you can always try to install a new theme or the original one from ModMii for instance (after making all necessary precautions of course)
I did have a theme before, yeah. I reinstalled the system menu and it went back to the default colour scheme. That should have cleared up any theme related issues, shouldn't it have?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not really a solution to the problem, but until you get it worked out, you can always use SE GUI to change most of the settings, as long as they have been accessed at least once in the past. There is a link in my signature.
Ooh, that looks useful, thanks.
It's main use is a postLoader add-on, although it can be used on its own. An update should be coming soon, most likely the same day as pL4 is released.
Tell me though, were Nintendo to release a system update, would it be possible to update while under a semibrick?
Yes, although I wouldn't be surprised if the next update (should there be one) is just another attempt to brick Wii's and block homebrew.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't really see why it would matter when the records of everything you've purchased are stored server-side.
If I delete my Wii Shop account I lose the rights to the software I've purchased. It's all tied to the console.
Still that's mostly a server side thing....formatting your Wii will not even delete your rights.
Any way this has nothing to do with your semi-brick.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well, okay, thanks for the advice guys.
I managed to fix it by installing 4.1, then installing 4.3 again.
Gave me a good scare in between there, though, because when I booted up the Wii after installing 4.1 it gave me a message all in corrupted text about the Mii and Wii Message board data being corrupt.
So I'm all good. Thanks for the tips

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Gave me a good scare in between there, though, because when I booted up the Wii after installing 4.1 it gave me a message all in corrupted text about the Mii and Wii Message board data being corrupt.
It sounds like there is a deeper problem then, because the only differences between 4.1 and 4.3 are the version number and the negative side affects for a hacked Wii.

If you intend to use SE GUI in the future, I suggest you go into settings now and save everything you have. Until a value is added into SYSCONF by the System Menu, SE GUI can't edit it. And before you ask, adding the values myself (safely that is) is beyond the skill I currently have.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It sounds like there is a deeper problem then, because the only differences between 4.1 and 4.3 are the version number and the negative side affects for a hacked Wii.

If you intend to use SE GUI in the future, I suggest you go into settings now and save everything you have. Until a value is added into SYSCONF by the System Menu, SE GUI can't edit it. And before you ask, adding the values myself (safely that is) is beyond the skill I currently have.
I opened the Mii channel and formatted the save data upon being asked, and the message board worked again once I went back to 4.3
The problems, including the semibrick, are gone but I have no idea why that happened

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Using 4.3 shouldn't be related at all. Would you mind downgrading to 4.1 (if only temporarily, should you be obsessed with having the latest version) and see if the problem returns?
Any particular reason?
I've gotten anything back to normal, trying to reproduce my own problems isn't really a priority

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Using 4.3 shouldn't be related at all. Would you mind downgrading to 4.1 (if only temporarily, should you be obsessed with having the latest version) and see if the problem returns?
Any particular reason?
I've gotten anything back to normal, trying to reproduce my own problems isn't really a priority
Because if it happens again after downgrading (not that I think it will), that means it's something worth looking into. It's just a request, so it's okay if you want to leave things the way they are. But I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to test this for me.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Any particular reason?
Because if it happens again after downgrading (not that I think it will), that means it's something worth looking into. It's just a request, so it's okay if you want to leave things the way they are. But I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to test this for me.
Alright, I'll do a backup and try again when I get home

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs